• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Music presentation difference by XLR cable - Monoprice Premier 16AWG vs Mogami 2549 22AWG

Katji

Major Contributor
It will be more interesting if you able to measure difference in amplifier output but not the cable itself. By right it should be the same. If there is difference, there is something more to explore and measure. For me I can alway hear the difference like the OP mention. For me able to access many brand and compare, I really conclude all cable sound different. For me, I recommend Belden 8333x cable, it doesn't cost thousand to make them. They are over spec than 99.9% of the audiophile cable out there.
You have never heard any difference, because there is either no difference or the [measurable] difference is imperceptible or inaudible. (Inaudible to humans, that is. and assuming you are a human and not a robot.)
Go as many hifi show as possible, you can develop your own golden ears quickly too.
What is "golden ears"?

"golden ears" - Google Search
... Page 5 of about 800 000 results (0,79 seconds)
5 pages of search results ... 2 referring to a music producer entity on Soundcloud and Beatport. Rest all related to the name of a national park or something.
So I try adding keyword [audio]...
Ahah!

1646658988799.png

:D Hilarious.

So you say that...uhhh...ability can be developed by going to many hi-fi shows? :) LOL That's hilarious too.

...Does it seem like I'm taking the piss? :) LOL

Katji

Major Contributor
...Whatever, "don't give up your day job." Most stand-up comedy is silly rubbish anyway.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Normal human bias.

Apply some science to your comparison before you decide it is insufficient for this task.

Exactly...with no controls, it's almost guaranteed.
Sighted bias toward expensive cables kind of works the same way as large quantities of ingested alcohol does in a bar at 3am with respect to the perceived attractiveness of any available woman still remaining as closing time approaches.

kongwee

Major Contributor
I can't imagine a bigger waste of time/travel & housing expense in doing so. You are more likely diseased with audiophilia than being an actual audiophile it seems. Cables are mostly nonsense unless particularly deficient/badly constructed. DIY will get beyond most issues.
If you don't travel to listen, actually you are not that keen about audio. A JBL bluetooth hifi will just suit you need. You have no idea about Asmir ML/Revel setup.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
If you don't travel to listen, actually you are not that keen about audio. A JBL bluetooth hifi will just suit you need. You have no idea about Asmir ML/Revel setup.

funny-animals-dog.gif

Weeb Labs

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You have never heard any difference, because there is either no difference or the [measurable] difference is imperceptible or inaudible. (Inaudible to humans, that is. and assuming you are a human and not a robot.)

What is "golden ears"?

"golden ears" - Google Search
... Page 5 of about 800 000 results (0,79 seconds)
5 pages of search results ... 2 referring to a music producer entity on Soundcloud and Beatport. Rest all related to the name of a national park or something.
So I try adding keyword [audio]...
Ahah!

View attachment 190958

:D Hilarious.

So you say that...uhhh...ability can be developed by going to many hi-fi shows? :) LOL That's hilarious too.

...Does it seem like I'm taking the piss? :) LOL
I don't disagree with you but telling people what they hear is never productive. In a sighted comparison, it is perfectly normal for one to hear differences and so offering a fundamental explanation of psychoacoustics is a far more constructive approach than bluntly insisting that somebody is imagining things.

Katji

Major Contributor
I don't disagree with you but telling people what they hear is never productive. In a sighted comparison, it is perfectly normal for one to hear differences and so offering a fundamental explanation of psychoacoustics is a far more constructive approach than bluntly insisting that somebody is imagining things.
I was not referring to psychoacoustics, just plain psychology. Psychoacoustics refers to basically standard features of human sound perception, psychology applies to hearing differences where there are none.
In cases like this, there will be little or no [productive], only wilful and persistent denial of science. Specifically, denial of psychology. Or 'imagined" separation of psychology from activity.
Sighted/unsighted is beside the point, because there is no difference to be heard.

kongwee

Major Contributor

JSmith
Doesn't work on my iMac M1. Look at the wave files. It is not something special. Test tone and music. You just build up your own song reference and listen to differences.

JSmith

Master Contributor
It is not something special. Test tone and music.
There's a bit more to it than that...
Doesn't work on my iMac M1.
Did you check this part? It's meant to be compatible... noting this was a beta release;
3. Known Issues - For Mac and Windows you may need to manually change the permissions to read/write in the Application Folder and Application Data and Support folders. (See the section "Manually Setting Folder Permissions" on page 6 of the user manual )
  • Requires Mac OS 10.5 Leopard or higher

JSmith

kongwee

Major Contributor
Did you check this part? It's meant to be compatible... noting this was a beta release;

JSmith
I installed the package and bypass the permission. The app itself highlighted a forbidden icon. If the release was around 2011, many apps cannot be opened by today Macos standard.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What on earth does that mean? I'm keen on audio, just not the idiot parts like cables. I do use bluetooth in my truck sometimes, but not much. ML has never appealed to me particularly, Revel I like.

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As I read it, it makes me think that our measurement system is based on single tone frequency , not music.
Perhaps what is audibly distinguishable may not have corresponding electrical metric or equipment measurement yet
Another way to put this is our measurements are always steady state. Even impulse response is calculated from steady signals; no more days of popping a balloon as an impulse test. So I definitely believe it is possible there are phenomena which we just don't catch. There are also things which AFAIK are just not known in detail, like our sensitivity to the many distortions and different frequencies and sound pressure levels.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Another way to put this is our measurements are always steady state. Even impulse response is calculated from steady signals; no more days of popping a balloon as an impulse test. So I definitely believe it is possible there are phenomena which we just don't catch. There are also things which AFAIK are just not known in detail, like our sensitivity to the many distortions and different frequencies and sound pressure levels.
Impulse responses aren't from steady state signals. They can be had from sweeps. RayDunzl has shown real world measurements of the impulse derived from a sweep and derived from an actual impulse response using a Umik-1 and his speakers to show they are truly equivalent.

This is one of those ridiculous myths that needs to die. That we don't get impulse measurements right. In terms of the physical response of transducers the sweeps do tell us what we need to know. How the brain can interpret those is a still evolving area, but we know in detail far more than you seem to think we do. God of the gaps argument here. It doesn't hold water.

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
AFAIK? Did you search any of those issues? All of those have been studied extensively. You might want to investigate what is known, otherwise AFAIK is just s synonym for ”in my ignorance”.

the briefest of searches: https://www.audioholics.com/loudspe...tortion-at-bass/total-harmonic-distortion-thd

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
AFAIK? Did you search any of those issues? All of those have been studied extensively. You might want to investigate what is known, otherwise AFAIK is just s synonym for ”in my ignorance”.

the briefest of searches: https://www.audioholics.com/loudspe...tortion-at-bass/total-harmonic-distortion-thd
Well in that very reference under "A Quixotic Quest" they detail the very kind of limitations I mean. Or Dr. Earl Geddes contention we become less sensitive to distortion as the sound gets louder (at this late hour I forget the details). And the usual limitation that testing is invariably solid state oops ha ha I mean steady state...well the CEA tone bursts rather aren't, that's a good thing.

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My point was, there is actually a ton known about exactly how we hear and what we can hear. You seem to be claiming there’s not. I was having a bit of fun today learning about acoustic memory, it’s various forms, and how they tested for and codified them. Tomorrow perhaps I’ll dive deeper into the realm of how that impacts our hearing of music. That information is out there. For free. But maybe I’m misunderstanding your point.

Top Bottom