• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Music presentation difference by XLR cable - Monoprice Premier 16AWG vs Mogami 2549 22AWG

Capitol C

Didn't you hear Jude from Head-Fi? Nwavguy is Amir.:p

PS: this whole thread is nonsense.
The idea that wires matter is nonsense, but the idea that NWAVGUY is Amir is intriguing. Should we ask him to confirm or deny?

JSmith

Master Contributor
Should we ask him to confirm or deny?
Well I'm actually Elvis, so who knows... maybe. ;)

200.gif

JSmith

Grooved

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Of course, you will hear difference. This is the real world. The more you do not wanna spend, the more you will hear the difference. You don't just listen to sine wave in 30 tone or square wave in 1kHz. Music is complex sound wave. You have reference for piano vocal, guitar, bass, drums, orchestra. These are your reference. You pick up the timbre cue on which component does it differently.
For what it's worth, I did some DAC-ADC loopback tests using music track (not a single on multi tone signal) and checking the results with DeltaWave and some audio interfaces.
With an audio interface getting one the best results in Deltawave, I tried to used different cables :
- hand made TRS- TRS with good cable and neutrik plugs
- basic molded TRS-TRS
- a TRS-TRS cable I still had, that I had to built one day in 5min with parts of a insert multicore cable because there were some TRS-TRS needed but missing, and it was certainly the most awful soldering I did in my life, isolated with a bit of tape but that I knew it would work for this time if not moved once plugged.

Results : exactly the same with Deltawave, even with the ones that were cutted and resoldered and that I never used again until this test.
And again, it was done with music, not test tones.

kongwee

Major Contributor
For what it's worth, I did some DAC-ADC loopback tests using music track (not a single on multi tone signal) and checking the results with DeltaWave and some audio interfaces.
With an audio interface getting one the best results in Deltawave, I tried to used different cables :
- hand made TRS- TRS with good cable and neutrik plugs
- basic molded TRS-TRS
- a TRS-TRS cable I still had, that I had to built one day in 5min with parts of a insert multicore cable because there were some TRS-TRS needed but missing, and it was certainly the most awful soldering I did in my life, isolated with a bit of tape but that I knew it would work for this time if not moved once plugged.

Results : exactly the same with Deltawave, even with the ones that were cutted and resoldered and that I never used again until this test.
And again, it was done with music, not test tones.
For me, I wanna to see the amplifier output. 0.015 difference is being superimposed or amplified by linearity or exponentially. I mean you don't listen music direct from this XLR cable, right?

Loathecliff

Well I'm actually Elvis, so who knows... maybe. ;)

200.gif

JSmith
Elvis, why did you abandon your UK fans in 2014? We thought you had died. Now we know the truth!
You had the most successful Consumer Advice slot - Ask Elvis - on BBC radio, and then one day you just vanished.
You helped my mum get a rear light unit for her 1987 Ford Fiesta. No one else could have done that:rolleyes:

Grooved

Addicted to Fun and Learning
For me, I wanna to see the amplifier output. 0.015 difference is being superimposed or amplified by linearity or exponentially. I mean you don't listen music direct from this XLR cable, right?

Right, you don't listen to XLR cables, but here, the files gave the same results, zero difference in files, not 0.015, zero.
I will try to run this test one time and check, but if there's no difference in files, and there are differences during listening, it would mean that the player or DAC or amp or speakers, or cables, or several among these have no constant behavior, and it's not on cables that I would bet the most.

Another point: if you are sure cables changes the sound, then it's not the amplifier output you only need to check , but also the speakers cables ends.

Last edited:

kongwee

Major Contributor
Right, you don't listen to XLR cables, but here, the files gave the same results, zero difference in files, not 0.015, zero.
I will try to run this test one time and check, but if there's no difference in files, and there are differences during listening, it would mean that the player or DAC or amp or speakers, or cables, or several among these have no constant behavior, and it's not on cables that I would bet the most.

Another point: if you are sure cables changes the sound, then it's not the amplifier output you only need to check , but also the speakers cables ends.
It will be more interesting if you able to measure difference in amplifier output but not the cable itself. By right it should be the same. If there is difference, there is something more to explore and measure. For me I can alway hear the difference like the OP mention. For me able to access many brand and compare, I really conclude all cable sound different. For me, I recommend Belden 8333x cable, it doesn't cost thousand to make them. They are over spec than 99.9% of the audiophile cable out there.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It will be more interesting if you able to measure difference in amplifier output but not the cable itself. By right it should be the same. If there is difference, there is something more to explore and measure. For me I can alway hear the difference like the OP mention. For me able to access many brand and compare, I really conclude all cable sound different. For me, I recommend Belden 8333x cable, it doesn't cost thousand to make them. They are over spec than 99.9% of the audiophile cable out there.

Why would anyone follow your recommendations based on your taste in cable "sound"? Which is daft to begin with.

kongwee

Major Contributor
Why would anyone follow your recommendations based on your taste in cable "sound"? Which is daft to begin with.
I was recommended to this cable by audiophile circle. Reasonably good shield, very low capacitance, silver coated , 460V 16 amp rating. Just doesn't look thick base on it VA rating. My rice cooker cable is thicker than this. The spec are out there for everyone to see. My first was ~$90 1m pair to DIY from local dealer, after that I replacing power cord, instrument, mic, speaker cable......etc Properly spend more than thousand dollar. This series of cable is popular with studio installation too.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I was recommended to this cable by audiophile circle. Reasonably good shield, very low capacitance, silver coated , 460V 16 amp rating. Just doesn't look thick base on it VA rating. My rice cooker cable is thicker than this. The spec are out there for everyone to see. My first was ~$90 1m pair to DIY from local dealer, after that I replacing power cord, instrument, mic, speaker cable......etc Properly spend more than thousand dollar. This series of cable is popular with studio installation too.
It's not rocket science, not even rice cooker science (whatever that is, never used one). I keep seeing the weirdest posts from you about your "theories" and extraordinary golden ears. Kind of annoying.

kongwee

Major Contributor
It's not rocket science, not even rice cooker science (whatever that is, never used one). I keep seeing the weirdest posts from you about your "theories" and extraordinary golden ears. Kind of annoying.
Go as many hifi show as possible, you can develop your own golden ears quickly too. Even form hobbyist group. I was with a group of audiophiles. I don't need to spend thousands just to try. Thing like cable, it is easy to borrow.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Go as many hifi show as possible, you can develop your own golden ears quickly too. Even form hobbyist group. I was with a group of audiophiles. I don't need to spend thousands just to try. Thing like cable, it is easy to borrow.
I can't imagine a bigger waste of time/travel & housing expense in doing so. You are more likely diseased with audiophilia than being an actual audiophile it seems. Cables are mostly nonsense unless particularly deficient/badly constructed. DIY will get beyond most issues.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It will be more interesting if you able to measure difference in amplifier output but not the cable itself. By right it should be the same. If there is difference, there is something more to explore and measure. For me I can alway hear the difference like the OP mention. For me able to access many brand and compare, I really conclude all cable sound different.
As many already stated : Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. Certainly not random annecdotes.
Go as many hifi show as possible, you can develop your own golden ears quickly too. Even form hobbyist group. I was with a group of audiophiles.

Top Bottom