• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Music presentation difference by XLR cable - Monoprice Premier 16AWG vs Mogami 2549 22AWG

MasterApex

I have never buy expensive cables , just good quality like Audio Quest brand speaker cables and some Monoprice basic XLR cables.
Recently I have add a few new speakers and experiment with several amplifier , with my new 802D3 speakers I started to hear the sonic differences among some amplifiers that I owned.

A friend told me to upgrade my XLR cables [from AV7706 to my amps (AHB2 or Levinson)] from Monoprice to Cardas http://cardas.com/insights_low_eddy.php
I was not ready to spend hundreds of $ on Cardas so I just order Mogami 2549 XLR cable.

I was not expecting to hear any difference as most test tone frequency analyzer measurement that I have read showed no difference.
So, when I listen to test tone (Stereophile CD2) , I hear no difference between the two cables.
However, when I listen to songs, there is an audible difference in presentation.
I don't have the words to describe it ; in simple way, the Monoprice 16AWG has more bass/low mid weight and the Mogami 2549 has more airy sounding.

What could explain the audible difference? Could my new 802D3 speakers be more resolving so I can now hear the difference?

I came across this thread

As I read it, it makes me think that our measurement system is based on single tone frequency , not music.
Perhaps what is audibly distinguishable may not have corresponding electrical metric or equipment measurement yet .
As our science is still learning the complete understanding of auditory neurophysiology on music / songs.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Perhaps what is audibly distinguishable may not have corresponding electrical metric or equipment measurement yet .
As our science is still learning the complete understanding of auditory neurophysiology on music / songs.
There is no magic, voodoo or a lack of science. If you do a blind test comparing cables you will find there is no difference.

kongwee

Major Contributor
Of course, you will hear difference. This is the real world. The more you do not wanna spend, the more you will hear the difference. You don't just listen to sine wave in 30 tone or square wave in 1kHz. Music is complex sound wave. You have reference for piano vocal, guitar, bass, drums, orchestra. These are your reference. You pick up the timbre cue on which component does it differently.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

JSmith

Master Contributor
As I read it, it makes me think that our measurement system is based on single tone frequency , not music.
Nope... I just posted this in another thread where a similar claim was made;

Hence the multi-tone test;
  1. The characteristics of a multitone waveform (e.g., spectral content, histogram, crest factor, etc.) give it a much closer resemblance to typical audio program material like music or speech, than a single sine wave.
  2. Multitone distortion is generally better at detecting real-world problems involving clock jitter and sample rate conversion than traditional THD+N measurements.

JSmith

escksu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just to let you know that the general consensus in this forum is that cables makes no difference. I personally dont recommend anyone to talk about cables in this forum.

Walter

Just to let you know that the general consensus in this forum is that cables makes no difference. I personally dont recommend anyone to talk about cables in this forum.
The scientifically determined (by blind testing and measurement) results show that properly made cables of sufficient gauge make no difference.

escksu

The scientifically determined (by blind testing and measurement) results show that properly made cables of sufficient gauge make no difference.

I won't argue over that, not in this forum. Perhaps you could inform MasterApex as well.

Frgirard

Major Contributor
I agree with you. There is nothing to say about the sound of the cables.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have never buy expensive cables , just good quality like Audio Quest brand speaker cables and some Monoprice basic XLR cables.
Recently I have add a few new speakers and experiment with several amplifier , with my new 802D3 speakers I started to hear the sonic differences among some amplifiers that I owned.

A friend told me to upgrade my XLR cables [from AV7706 to my amps (AHB2 or Levinson)] from Monoprice to Cardas http://cardas.com/insights_low_eddy.php
I was not ready to spend hundreds of $ on Cardas so I just order Mogami 2549 XLR cable.

I was not expecting to hear any difference as most test tone frequency analyzer measurement that I have read showed no difference.
So, when I listen to test tone (Stereophile CD2) , I hear no difference between the two cables.
However, when I listen to songs, there is an audible difference in presentation.
I don't have the words to describe it ; in simple way, the Monoprice 16AWG has more bass/low mid weight and the Mogami 2549 has more airy sounding.

What could explain the audible difference? Could my new 802D3 speakers be more resolving so I can now hear the difference?

I came across this thread

Thoughts?
Trolling.

Peace.

kongwee

Major Contributor
Belden 8333x series cable. Only in bulk, no terminated. Over spec cable that can function from line to power cords. very low capacitance, reasonably good shielding.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
“Believing is hearing. That's right, if you believe you will hear a difference, then there's a good chance that you will.” — Roger Russell

If you have a question about wire in audio systems, Roger Russell (R.I.P.) probably covers it in this long article.

Top Bottom