• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Music player application

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Whether Foobar, Winamp, J River or whatever, do people here actually have a PC in their listening room? The reason I use a Squeezebox Touch is so that the PC stays in another room, with all its noise, and what's in my listening room is essentially silent. Even a laptop, with its internal fan and whirring HDD is too much. I know that it's possible to build a PC without fans and a SSD, and that a NAS holding the music can be remotely locate, but is that what most people have?

S.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use my surface pro tablet as a source most of the time, my music is on a microSD card.

OP
Patrick1958

Patrick1958

Forum Donor
Quiet Lenono Thinkcentre i7 with SSD in my listening room. And .... i mostly listen via headphone.

TimW

Major Contributor
I have my Roon core in another room and use fanless endpoints such as RPi's in quiet listening areas.

Theo

iTunes:facepalm:... Yes I know... but it works fine for me when I use my computer or phone for the music I own. Otherwise I listen more and more to streamed music (Deezer HQ) using my phone + Chromecast. Quality is good enough (for my ears) and I don't need a computer... And from time to time I indulge to a vinyl, for the sake of good ol'time...

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
iTunes:facepalm:... Yes I know... but it works fine for me when I use my computer or phone for the music I own. Otherwise I listen more and more to streamed music (Deezer HQ) using my phone + Chromecast. Quality is good enough (for my ears) and I don't need a computer... And from time to time I indulge to a vinyl, for the sake of good ol'time...
Burn him...

BillG

Major Contributor
Whether Foobar, Winamp, J River or whatever, do people here actually have a PC in their listening room? The reason I use a Squeezebox Touch is so that the PC stays in another room, with all its noise, and what's in my listening room is essentially silent. Even a laptop, with its internal fan and whirring HDD is too much. I know that it's possible to build a PC without fans and a SSD, and that a NAS holding the music can be remotely locate, but is that what most people have?

S.

My listening room is also my bedroom. I use a Windows 10 PC, that's in the room, as a media server, local media and Internet stream playback machine. While it's not fanless, it is relatively quiet, and the levels I tend to listen at I barely hear it in the background.

I've a portable, wireless NAS, which mirrors the PC's music library, that I use on occasion. With it being solid state, it is completely silent.

I've got two Android devices as well, that I use as local media, client, and Internet services playback devices, and PC remote controls, streaming either Bluetooth or Chromecast into the amp.

Last edited:

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks to those that replied. I suppose I'm behind the times, as I don't use a streaming service or a mobile 'phone. I do use a Lenovo Windows 10 tablet as a remote control for the SBT, but that's as modern as I get.

S.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I know that it's possible to build a PC without fans and a SSD, and that a NAS holding the music can be remotely locate, but is that what most people have?
I do.

BillG

Major Contributor
Thanks to those that replied. I suppose I'm behind the times, as I don't use a streaming service or a mobile 'phone. I do use a Lenovo Windows 10 tablet as a remote control for the SBT, but that's as modern as I get.

S.

I wouldn't call your setup "behind the times" at all, but rather minimalist. The only thing that I'd add to it would be a wireless, portable NAS for increased storage. Something like the following would do nicely:

https://www.wdc.com/products/wd-outlet/my-passport-wireless.html

All the best... :cool:

P. S. Below is photo of my own setup when running in a similar configuration: an Android tablet, as the client and playback control unit, and a portable, wireless NAS, as the media server.

What's not seen in the photo is the integrated amp, that I'm streaming to with the tablet using Bluetooth/Chromecast, and the bookshelf speakers that the amp is driving:

44804667_2139742792705157_4367228544502202368_o.jpg

Last edited:

soundwave76

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
MusicBee when listening to music files (quite rare) and Tidal Hifi - through BlueSound in the living room and directly from Tidal in the desktop setup.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't use Windows at all since I retired. My music library, such as it is, is on an iMac connected to my system by USB. I have used lots of programmes, Amarra, Audiovarna, PureVinyl and so forth but normally just use iTunes now since it doesn't cause my computer to need re-booting all the time and I also use the Qobuz app for streaming from the 'net. I have Qobuz since it has lots of lovely classical recordings available but the tagging system is the standard shite, so irritatingly useless.
I have a Sooloos system and have tried Roon but both are poor at dealing with classical music, which is what I mainly listen to. The Sooloos Control 15 is nicely made but has been sitting unplugged here for months.
If you are a pop music fan and are not sure what to listen to next both Sooloos and Roon will make suggestions based on your initial choice, which doesn't appeal to me but I know others like it.

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Foobar2000 on PC and AIMP on Android. Later found AIMP is there on PC as well. WinAmp 2.x before that. If you think that player choice will affect music/audio quality - think again. :) I like Foobar cause it's small and has conversion utils in it.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company

S.
I use Roon. It runs on a server which is out of the way in a cupboard. Its a monster 32 core xeon, dead cheap on ebay but great for video rendering. I used to run it on a NAS and once on a cheap old laptop, again not in the listening areas. RPI (or equivilent SBC) computers are end points to systems around the house. All computing in living areas is completely silent and very small.

Office system: Dac1, P252 amp, HPA1 prototype, Oppo PM1 cans, B&W CM5 S2 and a Raspberry Pi Roon endpoint.

system.jpg

Roon all the way for me for its superb interface, multi room/system capability and ability to integrate with Tidal or Qobuz (just swapped to Qobuz) for new music exploration. All controlled from tablet or phone or the PC if Im sat in front of it.

Last edited:

Krazywaffle

Running a Mac mini (late 2014) as a music server I currently use VLC given the convenience of the iOS remote app (limited free version or $7/year paid).

Didn't hear any difference in audio quality when using Pine Player or Clementine. Need to check again as I think Clementine might have a iOS/Android remote app now and, if so, I might switch back as I always liked its interface.

I was using MusicBee until it keep on crashing and lagging on me then decided to migrate to foobar2000.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Need to check again as I think Clementine might have a iOS/Android remote app now and, if so, I might switch back as I always liked its interface.
Clementine has had a Android remote app on Linux for quite a few years, not sure about Mac,
I can tell you it's no longer supported, the last Clementine update was done on 5-2016 to version 1.3.1
The last communication we had with them involved the update to 1.3.0 and the removed configuration options to bypass Pulse and get a bit perfect stream from our files. At that time (5-16-2016) the audiophile community was told by lead developer hatstand that "I don't think we care about "audiophile" things" :mad:.
https://github.com/clementine-player/Clementine/issues/5344#issuecomment-406633718
He got 2 upvotes and 72 down votes for that comment. Very shortly after, many walked away and forked Clementine to Strawberry for the Linux community, maintainer Jonas Kvinge and many other developers have turned Strawberry into an excellent media player for the Linux crowd. There is a macOS build for it but I have no experience with it, give it a try. :)
https://www.strawberrymusicplayer.org/

Top Bottom