• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Music on Blu-Ray audio

DuxServit

Forum Donor
Folks, I’m a recent convert to Blu-Ray audio.

The more I read about it and listen to Blu-Ray discs, the more I believe that Blu-Ray may be the future for disc-based (physical medium) purchases of hi-res music. It does allow various version to be offered on the same disc (e.g. 96/24 stereo; DTS; 5.1). And it fits more files (e.g. Beethoven 9 symphonies on one disc).

Blu-Ray music discs are relatively cheap to manufacture (e.g. compared to SACD), and so it may be more resistant to market scarcity (which drives the prices of SACDs through the roof).

However, one thing I’ve noticed is that it’s kind of difficult to search for Blu-Ray titles/versions generally.

The two places I look for new releases on Blu-Ray are HRaudio.net and pureaudio-bluray.com (and Amazon).

As such, I thought I would start a thread dedicated to (a) share new releases & purchases on Blu-Ray, (b) discuss technical aspects of some these releases.

Note that this is not a thread to bash DSD technology (there is already an anti-DSD thread here on ASR).

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
OP
DuxServit

DuxServit

Forum Donor
I was blown away as to how good the Blu-Ray remaster of Pierre Fournier's legendary recording sounded. I have the CD, SACD (Japan) and Blu-Ray versions. I can't tell the difference between the SACD and Blu-Ray (both were better than the old CDs).

71ar59w2QUL._SX522_.jpg

raif71

Major Contributor
No doubt, the sound from both dvd-audio and bluray-audio is good. However due to some of them that need more navigation than others, to me just doesn't seem practical to play them. I don't want to be operating the tv or some display just to play songs. I just like to pop them in a player and play using the player's simple UI. CDs and SACD, to me seems fine for 5.1 playback without tv operation.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
No doubt, the sound from both dvd-audio and bluray-audio is good. However due to some of them that need more navigation than others, to me just doesn't seem practical to play them. I don't want to be operating the tv or some display just to play songs. I just like to pop them in a player and play using the player's simple UI. CDs and SACD, to me seems fine for 5.1 playback without tv operation.
I just rip the audio to my NAS and they play just as any ripped CD or SACD does.

OP
DuxServit

DuxServit

Forum Donor
I have one blu-ray, but no blu-ray player!

https://www.amazon.com/Holst-Planet...ords=B079B3587V&qid=1582423293&s=music&sr=1-1

I've heard from someone else that the included CD is not remastered, though that makes no sense to me. Why wouldn't the CD just be a downsample of the blu-ray?

For the Deutsche Gramophone (DGG) reissues you can check the DGG website for the details. But yeah, what would be point of including CDs if they’re not remasters (maybe it’s a marketing thing, to make the box set looks full)

Top Bottom