• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Music Map

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
https://www.musicmap.info/#

Ever seen this before? A lot of work to say the least.

I could pick many nits about genre and so on but that would be missing the point. Most comprehensive map-like presentation that I've encountered so far.

Edit: Make sure to zoom in.

Last edited:

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
I've seen two others, but I don't think there were any detailed articles embedded other than music samples for many of the genres/subgenres.

OP
pozz

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I've seen two others, but I don't think there were any detailed articles embedded other than music samples for many of the genres/subgenres.
I've brought this up on Discogs before: these efforts at visualizing the connections between music should use their database instead of labouring to create their own. There is just way too much out there.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
I've brought this up on Discogs before: these efforts at visualizing the connections between music should use their database instead of labouring to create their own. There is just way too much out there.

Makes sense... and such maps are always missing stuff.

Although, I usually just end up going to wikipedia for most of my music genre referencing -- simple search function & organization plus plenty of links to related subjects that might be of interest.

I find these condensed 'spider web' maps overwhelming and/or confusing.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
https://www.musicmap.info/#

Ever seen this before? A lot of work to say the least.

I could pick many nits about genre and so on but that would be missing the point. Most comprehensive map-like presentation that I've encountered so far.

Edit: Make sure to zoom in.

There was another one like this that I've seen before which basically started off at the spiderweb level but I can't remember its name.. It had more subgenres but I don't think it had the descriptions and it definitely didn't have the youtube links for the quick examples.

OP
pozz

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
If they were more flexible and videogame-ish navigation would probably be easier. This largely static map just can't cut it for the amount of data.

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

Addicted to Fun and Learning
There was another one like this that I've seen before which basically started off at the spiderweb level but I can't remember its name.. It had more subgenres but I don't think it had the descriptions and it definitely didn't have the youtube links for the quick examples.

Was it this one?
Every Noise At Once

OP
pozz

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Top Bottom