• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Music is dead.

5wavesup

Must get around to listening to their new record, it got great reviews.
Love the new record, best in, well a very long time....If Mascis or the band is in my area, I never fail to see the show.

dkinric

Addicted to Fun and Learning
oh, Dinosaur Jr talk? Don't see that often. Used to be way into their early albums, started drifting after Where You Been and onto other things. Saw J and the boys a couple of times, damn that man can play a guitar like nobody's business.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Only saw them live once, 2nd loudest gig I ever went to, I swear that when J stood on some of the distortion pedals you couldn't hear anything at all. It was the tour for bug, with the amazing freak scene on it.

5wavesup

oh, Dinosaur Jr talk? Don't see that often. Used to be way into their early albums, started drifting after Where You Been and onto other things. Saw J and the boys a couple of times, damn that man can play a guitar like nobody's business.
For sure and loud, good lord. Have tickets to see them in Nov.

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Lol@ Dinosaur Jr
Obviously they're awesome but that's because they're not a new band so you all proved my point:cool:

Andysu

Major Contributor
Well that Technics demo music LP, caused me a panic, anxiety attack :( that lasted for 1hr no thanks to listening to dead music garbage emo trash. They maybe able to write it, but they sure can't sing it, much less play an instrument. I can't sing, or play but I know good quality which is classical music and film score... well expect for hans zimmer as all I flippin' hear is african drums and that gets me heated up angry in less than few minutes and I don't even play hans zimmer music anymore as he garbage trash at superman, man of steel, utter garbage trash music. Yes even film score music is dead today.

JuliaCoder

Rick Beato has a YouTube about modern production. They want to cut and paste tracks anywhere in a song. But human musicians speed up and slow down, play softer and harder, and change keys. So use a drum machine with a constant tempo, compress dynamic range to the same loudness, and don't change keys.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well almost...
I can't help but feel that older music is just is so much better than all the new stuff being released today in all music genres.
There isn't one modern rock band that even comes close to Radiohead, Nirvana, PJ etc..
No artist that comes close to MJ
No new Bob Dylan, no new Jeff Buckley etc...
Well you get my point.
All new music and artists are just mediocre at best, except in some rare cases (Joanna Newsom, Regina spektor)
Does anyone here feels the same way?

Most of my favorite bands are older too, but I do still find modern bands that I really like. None that I like as much as Radiohead, but Lake Street Dive is one of my favorite modern bands. Check out the "Free Yourself Up" album.

Sukie

Forum Donor
Well that Technics demo music LP, caused me a panic, anxiety attack :( that lasted for 1hr no thanks to listening to dead music garbage emo trash. They maybe able to write it, but they sure can't sing it, much less play an instrument. I can't sing, or play but I know good quality which is classical music and film score... well expect for hans zimmer as all I flippin' hear is african drums and that gets me heated up angry in less than few minutes and I don't even play hans zimmer music anymore as he garbage trash at superman, man of steel, utter garbage trash music. Yes even film score music is dead today.
Just relax and realise that your Technics LP is not the summation of all recently produced music. There's some amazing stuff out there.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Try this, go back and pick a few months in years past. Look at what the top 40 music was. Look at how much of it was considered dreck by you even then. Not that much different now. Maybe 15% will in the future be considered good with maybe 5% considered great for the genre and time period. And then some aging guy in 2061 will list a few of the greats from now and opine how music isn't good like it used to be.

Try this list for 1990 which includes songs from Donny Osmond, Vanilla Ice, and INSX. o_O

https://top40weekly.com/1990-all-charts/

Or this one from 1991 which does include one Nirvana song along with MC Hammer, Boyz II Men, Cher, Bryan Adams, and Michael Bolton.
https://top40weekly.com/1991-all-charts/:rolleyes:

This is a good point. We're comparing the discography of the last few years against the combined discography of the 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s.

Sukie

Forum Donor
Most of my favorite bands are older too, but I do still find modern bands that I really like. None that I like as much as Radiohead, but Lake Street Dive is one of my favorite modern bands. Check out the "Free Yourself Up" album.
I'm not sure in what world Radiohead are not a "modern band". They're still producing cutting edge and innovative material. New music is new music, regardless of the age of the people making it.

Sukie

Forum Donor
Lol@ Dinosaur Jr
Obviously they're awesome but that's because they're not a new band so you all proved my point:cool:
I thought you were objecting to new music. By definition the new Dinosaur Jr album is new music.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Change the record grandad, I've heard this one my whole life. Seriously this moan predates all the artists you list as examples of things we will never see again. I wonder if this thought actually predates language itself, see the following article for where I'm coming from with this.
https://www.theguardian.com/artandd...s-art-lockdown-obsession-30-000-years-lascaux

What @Blumlein 88 says above is very similar to my own observations on how great things used to be, the music business has always pushed a right load of crap into people's heads, with zero quality filter. It should be easier than ever with the internet, YouTube, streaming etc to find great new music, but there is so much information, so many bands, so many scenes that it's harder than ever to find great new stuff, but it's there, you just need to avoid the streetlight effect.

Thinking the past is better than the present is part of being human, imo. Goes well beyond just music, and I see it here and everywhere else. I hear it from my parents, and they heard it from theirs.

Top Bottom