• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Music is dead.

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A few years ago I saw a Beatles tribute band. I really enjoyed the show and I was thinking, I'll bet The Beatles never sounded this good live.

For sure. I saw the real Beatles in Nov 1963 (I was 9) and they were inaudible. A previous stop on the same tour was monitored for permit compliance and the audience's screaming was measured at a constant 110dB SPL.

LYDF

For sure. I saw the real Beatles in Nov 1963 (I was 9) and they were inaudible. A previous stop on the same tour was monitored for permit compliance and the audience's screaming was measured at a constant 110dB SPL.
Screaming audience aside, the equipment the bands had back then was abysmal.
Shea stadium, 100 Watt amps, good luck with that.

dkinric

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Speaking of older recordings... A few years ago I saw a Beatles tribute band. I really enjoyed the show and I was thinking, I'll bet The Beatles never sounded this good live.
Indeed.
Also, the Beatles remasters of recent years are phenomenal SQ wise. Put on Come Together from the 2019 Abbey Road remaster and it's like a new song, and only partially because it's a different studio take. Really, really good.

mononoaware

mononoaware

Here is a short YouTube playlist I found of mostly “recent/modern” artists and talent.
Maybe you can put it on the background and see if anything gets your curiosity.
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=RDVkJ3vBw3_1Q

I particularly thought “Hooverphonic - Mad About You (Live at Koningin Elisabethzaal 2012)” stood out, exceptional microphone placement and recording quality as well.

Nicolaas

Watch/Listen Bo Burnham's Inside. So funny and creative. A work of art!

mononoaware

Cool video I found I think is relevant to “modern music”.
In 2021 performances can be via Twitch live-stream.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The end of dominant boring music requires a revolution. That revolution is either the result of a listener uprising, or the appearance of an artist or group of artists that rebel against the dominant system and lead that uprising. Usually both.

Beethoven was one such. Wagner, too. The Beatles were another.

Rick "producers and record companies at best recognize talent, but they usually miss it" Denney

Reactions: eas

j_j

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
Rick "producers and record companies at best recognize talent, but they usually miss it" Denney

Mostly they miss it. The accountant in charge knows what made money 3 years ago, so they want to try that again, and again, and again. It's only when something completely shakes things loose that they deign to notice they are obsolete. Usually when the bank calls.

hvbias

My dad was around for when The Beatles were starting to get huge, I asked him what his parents and his in laws thought of the music and all four of them universally proclaimed it to be junk music, music was dying, etc.

j_j

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
My dad was around for when The Beatles were starting to get huge, I asked him what his parents and his in laws thought of the music and all four of them universally proclaimed it to be junk music, music was dying, etc.

Yep. That's how it went down. "Nobody will listen to that." But turns out that everyone under about 40 was deadly tired of listening to Montavanni and the 100002 strings.

MNMLSM

Music is dead, no way!
I'm tempted to say if somebody claims that statement, you're too lazy to really dig in current music or you just haven't been lucky enough to find artists which suit your taste.
Of course, if we're talking about mainstream music, trending TOP 10 on YouTube and so on, I think there is a lot of truth in it. Music becomes generic and sounds the same but there are wonderful, not so popular artists who make great music. Music will never die and good music (which is pretty subjective) will also never die, you just have to search a bit longer.

This live session is recorded and performed in 2021 and it's simply amazing (at least to me), on top, audio quality is just great. Two Timestamps with highlights:

gsp1971

Forum Donor
There is still good music and well-recorded music out there. You just have to look for it.
Labels such as ECM, Fonè Records, ACT, Chesky, Reference Recordings, etc. produce plenty of quality stuff.
Not to mention the quality re-masters from Analogue Productions, Mobile Fidelity, Speakers Corner Records, etc.

The Dynamic Range Database has helped me discover a lot of good music, both old and new.
https://dr.loudness-war.info/

mohragk

The main thing is that music is decentralized. There is so much music being made and everyone is consuming it in their own bubble. It's not like in the 90's where MTV more or less defined what was good. There is no monolithic entity that tells people what's good and what's not. So, there are no mechanisms anymore for bands to grow to old school rock band statuses anymore.

And, it's hard to come into contact with actual good music because there is simply too much. This goes for festivals as well. In the old days, there were only a handful of music festivals. Now there are countless. So the overall quality per festival has dropped. It has to.

Tastes are more diversified as well. In the 70's, there was no hip hop. Not at the current scale at least. There were no electronic music genres. There were simply less genres to pick from. It was also a lot harder to make and record music. So there was a better chance of growing big back then, than there is now.

All these dampeners disallow extraordinary growth. So there are no defining bands anymore. All this does not mean quality has dropped. Your just not as exposed to it anymore.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No electronic music in the 70's?

Ummmm...

Rick "who just bought tickets to see Rick Wakeman in October" Denney

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As always, the revolution of which I speak isn't apparent until the fighting is done. We don't know what current music will stand the test of time, because the time hasn't passed. But we have a pretty good idea, in hindsight, who led the revolutions of prior periods.

There was something magic about Great Britain in the 60's and 70's, as far as rock music is concerned. Everyone lived within shouting distance of everyone else, and the entire panoply of world-class talent shopped in the same music stores as the weekend duffers, drank beer in the same pubs, and listened to each other in the same venues. I'm amazed at how groups got "discovered" by playing gigs in the London suburbs that were attended by the same music press and by those who became rock legends that in the U.S. would never have seen such groups. I don't see that same nexus of national talent in the history of groups in the U.S., and it seems American groups required a more purposed talent-spotter.

Rick "current popularity is no indicator of future legendary status" Denney

Top Bottom