• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Music is dead.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Have been waiting for that big thing around the corner for a long time
If you're expecting another Radiohead you're gonna be waiting a long time.

vibess

I’ve been waiting for next Mario Lemieux for decades, I’m beginning to think there will only ever be one mr magic. Hockey is still great thou..

walkeng

I think that the idea that there is no change in the quality of music over time and that music has the same quality at all times and in every period is not realistic. A more objective approach is that music and its sub-genres have their ups and downs, golden ages and periods of decline as in every branch of art ... In what period we live, i guess it is a bit of luck ...

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't recall ever hearing anything by this Radiohead. I just looked them up didn't find them familiar in any way.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
What do you consider Pop? I would consider The Beatles, Rolling Stones, The Who, Pink Floyd, The Guess Who, Jimmy Hendrix, Queen, Zeppelin etc. as pop, and those are probably my favorite bands ever.

I wouldn't call any of those "pop," though they were certainly popular. :cool:

Edit: Wikipedia says it well.

From about 1967, the term “pop music” was increasingly used in opposition to the term rock music, a division that gave generic significance to both terms.[14] While rock aspired to authenticity and an expansion of the possibilities of popular music,[14] pop was more commercial, ephemeral, and accessible.[15] According to British musicologist Simon Frith, pop music is produced "as a matter of enterprise not art", and is "designed to appeal to everyone" but "doesn't come from any particular place or mark off any particular taste". Frith adds that it is "not driven by any significant ambition except profit and commercial reward [...] and, in musical terms, it is essentially conservative". It is, "provided from on high (by record companies, radio programmers, and concert promoters) rather than being made from below ... Pop is not a do-it-yourself music but is professionally produced and packaged".[4]

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wouldn't call any of those "pop," though they were certainly popular. :cool:

Gotcha. Yeah "Pop" has really changed from decade to decade, . which is why I asked :)

I tend to just view it is as "most popular". I think anyone that shows in this video is what I would consider "Pop", and it's a fun video to watch and see how tastes have changed over time.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Gotcha. Yeah "Pop" has really changed from decade to decade, . which is why I asked :)

I tend to just view it is as "most popular". I think anyone that shows in this video is what I would consider "Pop", and it's a fun video to watch and see how tastes have changed over time.
See my edit. One key is the distinction (often blurry, admittedly) between pop and chart.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
See my edit. One key is the distinction (often blurry, admittedly) between pop and chart.

Yeah I can see that perspective, and that's a little different than my definition. It seems that over time "more accessible" has become "more popular". Bohemian Rhapsody (for example) is a 6 minute song with no chorus. I really wonder how well it would do today.

I can't lie and say that I don't enjoy some of this "more accessible" music, though. The repetitive nature of it makes it great for background listening and still being able to remember it.

Blaspheme

Nope, but I don’t listen to rock music so can’t comment on that specific genre, I mostly listen to electronic music And there’s any amount of new stuff you could ever wish for to listen to.
We are living in a golden age for electronic. You barely finish keeping up with new output from masters like Aphex, Autechre, Hecker and Sakamoto, then along comes everything from Arca to Yaeji. And I'm sure there's someone starting with Z.

Last edited:
OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor

Michel Jackson was the king of Pop lol

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Interesting chart made it easy to see why I never heard of Radiohead. Starting around the middle 1980's my musical interests were still mainly from the 60's / 70's though I at least heard of most on there. As time went on I knew or listened to less and less by the end 2019 I never consciously listened to 1 single person or group on the chart and a couple I have never heard of. As I aged popular music's appeal didn't, I began finding blues, jazz, folk, classical. There are some very good musicians and groups out there now IMO.

Last edited:

Ron Party

CPH (Chief Prog Head)
To the OP:

I consider myself a student of the history of rock, albeit more so progressive rock, and blues. I would agree with you that Radiohead and Pearl Jam are easily two of the top "rock" bands in the last 30 years. Nirvana had a nice, albeit short, run. Someone earlier in this thread also mentioned Cage, and I think there is something very special with that band as well. For my tastes, I would also add Tool and Muse. Though not to my liking, I'm guessing many would throw bands such as Linkin Park, Green Day, Foo Fighters and The White Stripes into the ring.

Where I part ways with you would be the genre of progressive rock. There has been and continues to be an amazing amount of phenomenal music coming out since the 90s, when Radiohead first made their mark. My music collection is growing at a more rapid pace now than ever before.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To the OP:

I consider myself a student of the history of rock, albeit more so progressive rock, and blues. I would agree with you that Radiohead and Pearl Jam are easily two of the top "rock" bands in the last 30 years. Nirvana had a nice, albeit short, run. Someone earlier in this thread also mentioned Cage, and I think there is something very special with that band as well. For my tastes, I would also add Tool and Muse. Though not to my liking, I'm guessing many would throw bands such as Linkin Park, Green Day, Foo Fighters and The White Stripes into the ring.

Where I part ways with you would be the genre of progressive rock. There has been and continues to be an amazing amount of phenomenal music coming out since the 90s, when Radiohead first made their mark. My music collection is growing at a more rapid pace now than ever before.

I almost mentioned Muse. They're almost like a Radiohead/Queen/Emo? hybrid. There are a few Muse songs where I actually think I could be listening to Radiohead.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"Take a Bow" by Muse to me easily sounds like it could be a Radiohead song. In fact @Pearljam5000 , you should listen to all of the album(Black Holes and Revelations). I actually think they take a lot of inspiration from Radiohead.

In the "Starlight" song, when he first sings "Our hopes and expectations, black holes and revelations". That to me sounds very Radiohead. The first three songs of the album are all bangers.

The whole album is great, especially "Knights of Cydonia".

Last edited:

Raindog123

Major Contributor
On a day I feel the classic rock of (Peter Gabriel’s) Genesis, King Crimson, Led Zeppelin, and (Roger Waters‘) Pink Floyd is gone forever I grab the Nightmare Revisited CD and stream a few songs by any of its performers: DeVotchka, Marilyn Manson, Flyleaf, Polyphonic Spree, Korn, … And everything comes back to normal! :)

7C59B507-3D79-40AF-9E96-1016A3B5709B.jpeg

Blaspheme

What happened to emotion in songs. It used to be if it was about lost love you could hear the pain in their voice, if it was about having a good time they felt it. Whatever the song was about the feelings came out. Now so many of the vocals are so flat. The songs might be pleasant enough to listen to but they don't make you feel the singer's emotions.
Emotion? Have you met La Dispute?

They were just babies when I first heard them. Something more recent and polished. A better choice if you are still social distancing.

OsogoOro

This thread has offended me enough to stop lurking and actually register an account to post a bunch of music.
There's plenty of gems if you actually put the effort into looking for it. Here's just a few from artists I've been listening to recently.

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
This thread has offended me enough to stop lurking and actually register an account to post a bunch of music.
There's plenty of gems if you actually put the effort into looking for it. Here's just a few from artists I've been listening to recently.

I'm happy you joined because of me:cool:
Welcome aboard.

Top Bottom