• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Music album that have affected you the most

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
A question without any sense for anyone with more than one genre in his discography. Personally, I keep a list of my favourite popular music albums:

No Merzbow?

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
A question without any sense for anyone with more than one genre in his discography. Personally, I keep a list of my favourite popular music albums:

Aspera Hiems Symfonia over La Masquerade Infernale??
Vikingligr Veldi over Eld??
Wolverine Blues over Left Hand Path??
Slow, Deep and Hard over October Rust??

:p

Couldn't agree more about Manes, Ved Buens Ende and THORNS! <3

I have too many gems to list here, and never took the time to put them in a sheet, so here's one I wish more people would listen to. Amazing headphone album. The title of the album says it all, really.

OP
LarsF

LarsF

I maybe should have wrote as a thread title "Music album that have affected you the most"

is it possible to change?

Robin L

Master Contributor
It doesn't work like that. "Best Album of all time" isn't a thing. A musical work is an encapsulation of time, it reflects a specific and particular time. The time will come for every "Best Album of all time" when the concept doesn't really make any sense. Busch string quartet, Beethoven's 15th string quartet? Odds are you didn't hear it. The person who would give the nod to that recording probably wouldn't give the nod to anything by Pink Floyd and vice versa. The time might come when the person holding one album in such esteem changes their mind. And so on.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Aspera Hiems Symfonia over La Masquerade Infernale??
Less fruity, but both are very good.
Vikingligr Veldi over Eld??
Overwhelmingly, production is a lot more suited to its material and the drumming is less full of braindead blast beats. I even prefer Frost, to be honest.
Wolverine Blues over Left Hand Path??
Left Hand Path is a classic and for a good reason, but Wolverine Blues is truly their peak, just marred by their fanbase disliking their switch toward death 'n' roll, even if the result is their most streamlined album, leaving only the substance with no slower moment.
Slow, Deep and Hard over October Rust??
I used to prefer their later work, but, again, Slow, Deep and Hard is their more substantive work, without fillers or sound texture ambiance used to as aesthetic filler. But October Rust is definitely great, just some tracks like Be My Druidess or Green Man really standing out as more boring than the rest.

Last edited:

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
Which is the best album to date?
Ridiculous question. There are a thousand 'best' albums depending on mood, genre, age and a thousand other criteria ...

My vote goes to The Clash - London Calling
I still have a sore rib from being crushed up to the stage at a Clash gig a month after London Calling was released. Great gig, but I can't say London Calling has ever done much else for me. I always thought of The Clash as The Monkees with Dr. Martens ...

OP
LarsF

LarsF

Change the thread title to something more what I was looking for.

GD Fan

Forum Donor
I can't even pick my favorite release by many individual bands (is Master better than Justice? Dark Side better than the Wall? Exile better than Sticky Fingers?) much less favorite amongst all bands.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
No Merzbow?
Maybe I'm not deep enough into the abyss, but I've never warmed up to noise. Though it's been a long time since I tried, I should remediate to that. Any recommended Merzbow album to start?

(I think the only "noisy" album I liked is Spirits They're Gone, Spirits They've Vanished by Animal Collective)

Puddingbuks

Forum Donor
Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works 85-92.

:oops:

1616701567935.png

Last edited:

q3cpma

Major Contributor
is Master better than Justice?
I hesitated with Ride the Lightning at lot, personally, but the sheer uniqueness of ...and Justice for Al with its cold and sterile, almost industrial thrash together with the production/mixing fitting perfectly the content (something rare that can drastically enhance the result) made my choice.

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
Maybe I'm not deep enough into the abyss, but I've never warmed up to noise. Though it's been a long time since I tried, I should remediate to that. Any recommended Merzbow album to start?

(I think the only "noisy" album I liked is Spirits They're Gone, Spirits They've Vanished by Animal Collective)

I have the double CD original from Ron at RRRecords. Ron is probably the premier source of outsider/fringe music in the US. Some of this is similar to the tape collages of Nurse With Wound.

Duckeenie

So much objective feedback for what is clearly intended to be a casual thread. More <insert you favourite tipple> needed people.

If I was to pick an album that had an effect on my life it would be:

The Alarm - Declaration.

Not the greatest album ever and perhaps even sounds a little bombastic to me these days but it served me well through my late teens.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
I have the double CD original from Ron at RRRecords. Ron is probably the premier source of outsider/fringe music in the US. Some of this is similar to the tape collages of Nurse With Wound.

Definitely some interesting passages, but I think I either don't "get it" or it's not my cup of tea. Probably doesn't help that I don't do drugs. I think I'll stay with lightweight stuff like Mr. Bungle, Stravinsky or Debussy.
index.php

Attachments

• mu 2deep4u level.png
    mu 2deep4u level.png
    914.6 KB · Views: 497

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
If you have one month to live you are not going to listen to music ?

As I die I'll want to go to an all but unbearably loud replay of Mozart's Requiem.

I suppose a good recording will do, but if you can convince an orchestra and choir to show up and play, that would be even better.

Zaireeka

Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral

Top Bottom