• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

"Muscular" floorstanding speakers for 1500 euros

Talisman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I would like to ask for a suggestion of the floorstanding loudspeakers costing 1500 euros, I know the discussion has already been addressed but I have slightly different needs.
I don't care for absolute perfection of sound, nor a ruler frequency response, what I look for in this price range is something that gets my gut moving, something that sounds big and dynamic and that fills the room with a nice fist.
I was thinking about the klipsch rp8000f which can be found for 1200 a pair and have a double 8" woofer, I also own the rp600m and I really like them despite Amir's bad review, so I don't mind the klipsch sound.
But I'm open to other products with similar characteristics.
An important feature is that they are available in Europe / Italy (for example I was interested in the jbl 590 but there seems to be no way to find them here)

nb.
I've already dismissed bookshelf speakers with subs for various reasons, so please avoid this suggestion. Floor standing speakers only.
Thank you

Digby

Major Contributor
Another option, perhaps even try some decent PA type speakers? You will feel the kick from big 12"/15" woofers for sure.

Generally speaking, the bigger the drivers, the bigger the kick.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Doesn't surprise me about the JBL Studio 5 series not being available....the Studio 6 series is just being released here, is that available in your area yet? A pair of the 698s is going for $1700/pr here. Maybe JBL Stage series like the A190? I'd still want subs with any of these myself, tho.

Overseas

Major Contributor
Triangle Borea BR 09 (ZERO NINE) will rock your socks off.
Do not confuse with lower 08, 07 etc models.
Triangle is a reputed manufacturer.

OP
Talisman

Talisman

Forum Donor
Another option, perhaps even try some decent PA type speakers? You will feel the kick from big 12"/15" woofers for sure.

Generally speaking, the bigger the drivers, the bigger the kick.
In fact I had also thought about the Magnat Transpuls 1500, with its huge 38cm woofers, but I haven't been able to read many opinions about it here. In general I see that the Magnat speakers are not highly regarded on the forum.

Darvis

The KEF q950 is very beefy and big sounding while still being a better speaker than a Klipsch.

OP
Talisman

Talisman

Forum Donor
The KEF q950 is very beefy and big sounding while still being a better speaker than a Klipsch.
I really like the kef Q950s, I also have the Q350 and I find it a really nice speaker. However, I read that many find them quite poor on the low end, not very incisive, and it's just the opposite of what I'm looking for, so I discarded them.

Digby

Major Contributor
In fact I had also thought about the Magnat Transpuls 1500, with its huge 38cm woofers, but I haven't been able to read many opinions about it here. In general I see that the Magnat speakers are not highly regarded on the forum.
I've not heard about them before, there is a thread here:

OP
Talisman

Talisman

Forum Donor
Triangle Borea BR 09 (ZERO NINE) will rock your socks off.
Do not confuse with lower 08, 07 etc models.
Triangle is a reputed manufacturer.
I have seen them, but they have 6" woofers, at the moment I already own some magnat supreme 1002 monitors, which have similar characteristics (although certainly of a lower level).
Let's say I'm ruling out woofers smaller than 8"

Darvis

I really like the kef Q950s, I also have the Q350 and I find it a really nice speaker. However, I read that many find them quite poor on the low end, not very incisive, and it's just the opposite of what I'm looking for, so I discarded them.
A buddy has them, I found them really good and certainly fun to listen to. That being said, they're big floorstanders, they're hard to accommodate in a room, certainly harder than a sub. So I wouldn't put too much stock in others opinions about the low end, it could very well be an acoustical problem.

anphex

Forum Donor

With shipping you're at about exactly 1500.
What I like from Nubert is that you know what you get. Here's the exhaustive tech data list translated:

Device type: Floorstanding loudspeaker
Width: 21.0 cm
Height: 107.0 cm
Depth: 32.8 cm
Width (additional information): 27.8 cm (with base)
Height (additional information): 109.2 cm (with base)
Depth (additional information): 36.2 cm (with base)
Weight: 30,5 kg
Packing dimensions (W x H x D): 117.0 cm x 44.5 cm x 32.5 cm
Shipping weight: 34.0 kg
Standard color: Black
Color: Black with gray front
Scope of delivery: nuBoxx B-70, fabric cover, base plate with elastic buffers, mounting kit, speaker cable 2x 0.75 mm² 4 m, operating instructions in German
EAN / GTIN: 4260166755886
Country of origin: Poland
WEEE Reg. No.: DE 48888173
Construction: Bass reflex
Construction: direct radiator
System: 3-way
Tweeter: 1 x 26 mm
Tweeter material: silk fabric
crossover frequency tweeter: 2.300 Hz
midrange driver: 1 x 123 mm
Midrange material: Polypropylene
crossover frequency midrange: 400 Hz
woofer: 2 x 180 mm
woofer material: polypropylene
Lower cut-off frequency (-3 dB): 32 Hz
upper cut-off frequency (-3 dB): 24,000 Hz
lower cut-off frequency (-6 dB): 30 Hz
upper cutoff frequency (-6 dB): 28,000 Hz
efficiency (2.83V/1m): 86.5 dB
efficiency (1W/1m): 83.5 dB
Continuous power handling: 320 W
Impulse power handling: 450 W
Shielding: magnetically compensated
Impedance: 4 Ohm
fuse protection: self-resetting fuses
optimum amplifier power from: 100 W
optimum amplifier power up to: 450 W
loudspeaker inputs: 1
optimal room size from: 15 m²
optimal room size up to: 60 m²

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

This product line was refreshed in 2022 so many now consider the NuBoxx better than their middle-class NuLine ... line.
I am super biased for Nubert though since I have their NuVero line and love them (with calibration). I firmly think that their speakers are top level for the money while their electronic gadgets are pretty meh. One exception are their active NuProX speakers. Those have incredible performance and are close to Neumann and Genelec.

So these are worth a look too, their NuPro (non-X) speakers. The mentioned NuProX speakers are too expensive for your budget unfortunately.

Device type: Active loudspeaker
Width: 18,5 cm
Height: 100.0 cm
Depth: 22.0 cm
Width (additional information): 27.3 cm (with feet)
Height (additional information): 103.2 cm (with feet)
Depth (additional information): 23.7 cm (with front cover), 30.6 cm (with feet)
Weight: 17.6 kg (master) / 17.2 kg (client)
Packing dimensions (W x H x D): 111.0 cm x 65.0 cm x 34.0 cm
Shipping weight: 42.5 kg
Power consumption in standby: < 0.5 W
Power consumption in idle mode: 8 W
Standard color: Black
Color: Multi-layer black
Scope of delivery: nuPro SP-500, crossbar feet, magnetic fabric panel, remote control, power cable 3.0 m, connection cable 5m, optical digital cable 1.5 m, jack to RCA cable 3.5 m, HDMI cable 1.5 m, user manual
EAN / GTIN: 4260166756227
Country of origin: China
WEEE reg. no.: DE 48888173
Construction: Bass reflex
Construction: direct radiator
System: 2 x 3-way
Tweeter: 2 x 25 mm per pair
Tweeter material: silk fabric
crossover frequency tweeter: 1.800 Hz
midrange driver: 2 x 148 mm per pair
Midrange material: Polypropylene
Crossover frequency midrange: 450 Hz
woofer: 4 x 148 mm per pair
woofer material: polypropylene
Lower cut-off frequency (-3 dB): 33 Hz
upper cut-off frequency (-3 dB): 22,000 Hz
protection: soft clipping function
signal pass-through time (single/pair mode): 8.5 ms
continuous power: 160 W per pair
pulse power: 240 W per pair
power amplifiers: 4
maximum sampling rate: up to 96 kHz/24 bit
Remote control: IR remote control
App control: No
Operation at the device: rotary control
Voice control: No
HDMI inputs: 1
HDMI CEC: Yes
Digital Coaxial Inputs: 1
Digital Optical Inputs: 1
Bluetooth: Yes
Audio RCA inputs: 1
Subwoofer: 1
Bluetooth Wireless: Yes
Bluetooth Codec: aptX, AAC
Bluetooth aptX Standard: aptX HD, aptX Low Latency
Bass/Treble control: Nubert tone control
Loudness: adaptive
Sound enhancement: Wide Sound
speech optimization: Voice+
optimal room size from: 15 m²
optimal room size up to: 50 m²

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Sokel

Master Contributor
We were searching the same type for my nephew,we searched and searched,we listened,but no.
You have to raise to 3000-4000 euros at least to have fun,punch and not headaches at the same time,it's not about quality,it's sheer size and material to maintain it rigid.

And you have to go big,10" in 100 liters cabinet for low at least to get that feeling in a room up to 30 m²,more for bigger.
I'm bearing bad news,I know,but I suspect you already know this.

OP
Talisman

Talisman

Forum Donor
We were searching the same type for my nephew,we searched and searched,we listened,but no.
You have to raise to 3000-4000 euros at least to have fun,punch and not headaches at the same time,it's not about quality,it's sheer size and material to maintain it rigid.

And you have to go big,10" in 100 liters cabinet for low at least to get that feeling in a room up to 30 m²,more for bigger.
I'm bearing bad news,I know,but I suspect you already know this.
I feared this too.
Raising the price and size shot I think you can find excellent focal aria 948 which I think meet all the characteristics, certainly the price goes up quite a bit I'm afraid ....

bodhi

Forum Donor
Dali Oberon could be the ticket. It has pretty beefy low end. If you get a good deal and stretch your budget couple hundred you could get the Oberon 9, it's a beast.

Was not my cup of tea but shouldn't leave anyone cold.

Sokel

Master Contributor
I feared this too.
Raising the price and size shot I think you can find excellent focal aria 948 which I think meet all the characteristics, certainly the price goes up quite a bit I'm afraid ....
Maybe you don't listen to classical,but if you want to evaluate how "big" a speaker sounds,try this:

It must sound bigger than life (not the YT version of course,it's badly compressed)

(Oh,I'm about to cry with this beauty,honestly)

Top Bottom