• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

"Muscular" floorstanding speakers for 1500 euros

Bleib

Major Contributor
Canton GLE90
Monitor Audio floorstanders, silver
Emotiva Airmotiv T2+

I would look into these

Burgunder

These might fit

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Curious, what is the amplification available for the speakers?

OP
Talisman

Talisman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Curious, what is the amplification available for the speakers?
I have already bought and saved two sabaj A8 monoblocks 250watt into 8ohm. I will be using a Loxjie D40 as dac and preamp

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have already bought and saved two sabaj A8 monoblocks 250watt into 8ohm. I will be using a Loxjie D40 as dac and preamp
Well that should suffice for most uses :) Back to the JBL 190 for a sec, why doesn't it fit the bill particularly?

PatentLawyer

Forum Donor
Something from Arendal?

OP
Talisman

Talisman

Forum Donor
Well that should suffice for most uses :) Back to the JBL 190 for a sec, why doesn't it fit the bill particularly?
I've seen a not exactly brilliant review of the jbl a180 little brother, so I'm not inclined to buy this line of towers, moreover I don't like it very much aesthetically

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've seen a not exactly brilliant review of the jbl a180 little brother, so I'm not inclined to buy this line of towers, moreover I don't like it very much aesthetically
C'mon, even TAS liked it they even refered to it as a "brawny performer that shows its muscles" :) Generally I've seen good user comments....but no klippel tests.

Feyire

Sokel

Master Contributor
The cheapest towers are 1899 a pair, so slightly above the specified budget, but certainly a worthy consideration for just a bit more money.
The 4 5.5" woofers comes close to a 10-11" driver but one of them has to be for mids only,so it's lower than that.
Considering the xover is at 120Hz,also not inclines "big" sound.Their size is also modest.
Maybe I'm wrong,but as a skilled friend here explained lower mid's "mouth" has to be adequate to give that "big" feeling.

Feyire

The 4 5.5" woofers comes close to a 10-11" driver but one of them has to be for mids only,so it's lower than that.
Considering the xover is at 120Hz,also not inclines "big" sound.Their size is also modest.
Maybe I'm wrong,but as a skilled friend here explained lower mid's "mouth" has to be adequate to give that "big" feeling.
If you want "big" feeling sound, then you'll mate the floor standers with one or more subwoofers.

Sokel

Master Contributor
If you want "big" feeling sound, then you'll mate the floor standers with one or more subwoofers.
Nope,that will give you range,not "bigness".
Horns can give you big sound going only at 45Hz.
There is a reason Meta 1 who everyone describes as big sounding has 4 9" drivers crossed at 350Hz (apart for the pattern they want to achieve).

OP
Talisman

Talisman

Forum Donor

Digby

Major Contributor
Another unusual suggestion, maybe you could DIY something to your liking with a 10"/12" bass driver + horn (+mid?). A decent DIY floorstander with a 10" or 12" bass driver will sound BIG and probably have much more extension than a PA speaker - because you don't need the same SPL as PA, the enclosure volume is much larger and the port can be tuned lower.

This is something I've considered, but as I don't have the expertise is off the table for the time being.

OP
Talisman

Talisman

Forum Donor
The cheapest towers are 1899 a pair, so slightly above the specified budget, but certainly a worthy consideration for just a bit more money.
The branding seems interesting, but as I said I'm only evaluating speakers with at least 8inch woofers, to have that big, punchy feel.
At the moment I find the Dali Obern 9s that someone had recommended above very interesting, they would be close to 2000 but they seem to reflect my tastes. muscular, also aesthetically, with double 9 woofer and 7 midrange.
I'm a little over budget but I have to figure out if it's worth it

OP
Talisman

Talisman

Forum Donor
Another unusual suggestion, maybe you could DIY something to your liking with a 10"/12" bass driver + horn (+mid?). A decent DIY floorstander with a 10" or 12" bass driver will sound BIG and probably have much more extension than a PA speaker - because you don't need the same SPL as PA, the enclosure volume is much larger and the port can be tuned lower.

This is something I've considered, but as I don't have the expertise is off the table for the time being.
It would be nice and interesting, but I'm not in the least able to create something like this, I don't have any kind of required competence

rolloj

If you are partial to French speakers, the CHORA line may be of interest to you. FOCAL produces some wonderful speakers.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I had already read it in a previous suggestion, but also from the graph itself, it seems that the bass response decreases very quickly already from 80hz downwards, and as I specified, I do not intend to integrate subwoofers for the moment.
That's quasi-anechoic though - In room you will get useful response down to 40Hz or so, I'd be very surprised if you can do better that that for your budget (and still have a speaker that measures as well across the whole FR). If you do let me know I'll be interested in whatever speaker it is.

Top Bottom