• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

"Muscular" floorstanding speakers for 1500 euros

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Pair.Still a long stretch.
They're 5500 here in US....OP had already mentioned Aria 948s which are a bit more here....so if stretching the budget think they're a good contender.

Sokel

Master Contributor
They're 5500 here in US....OP had already mentioned Aria 948s which are a bit more here....so if stretching the budget think they're a good contender.
Arias are around 3K here,probably because they are made in Europe.
Still fair for the JBLs if that is the price in US.

pierre

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
1500 at Thomann LD Systems Dave

1673201085976.jpeg

PA speakers with assorted subwoofer. They are surprisingly good esp. at low volume. That’s the large version. Depending on your room, you should take a much smaller set (and also cheaper). I would EQ them so add a DSP.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Arias are around 3K here,probably because they are made in Europe.
Still fair for the JBLs if that is the price in US.
The Arias are USD 6600/pr....that's a huge difference!

Puddingbuks

Forum Donor
The Arias are USD 6600/pr....that's a huge difference!
When they came out, I got them for 2050 euro. They go pretty loud, but didn’t like the sound.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
When they came out, I got them for 2050 euro. They go pretty loud, but didn’t like the sound.
Never seen one in the flesh myself....that brand came around here well after my last store visits. Always have been curious about Focal, tho.

dshreter

Putting price aside OP, what would you consider your ideal speaker? Muscular is hard to define - low frequency extension? Smile shaped EQ? SPL handling?

What’s the main thing wrong with the speakers you don’t like?

Puddingbuks

Forum Donor
Looks like rubbish.

You can have 12 or 15 inch woofers in all sorts, most cheaper speakers have drivers that just suck. Look impressive, but just don’t deliver the goods.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Putting price aside OP, what would you consider your ideal speaker? Muscular is hard to define - low frequency extension? Smile shaped EQ? SPL handling?

Generally speakers with 'big' sound (at least the ones I have heard myself) have the same recipe.
One big (at least 10") or two smaller woofers (at least 8") crossed at 250-350Hz (or higher) to a smaller mid and big cabinet size.

I don't know if it's the size that's radiates or something else but that is the smallest I have heard and consider it "big" sounding.
(extension has nothing to do with it,they can go to 40Hz but still sound big).

Overseas

Major Contributor
I have seen them, but they have 6" woofers, at the moment I already own some magnat supreme 1002 monitors, which have similar characteristics (although certainly of a lower level).
Let's say I'm ruling out woofers smaller than 8"

Your money, your loss.
Go up on the Triangle/ Focal ladder, then.

OP
Talisman

Talisman

Forum Donor

If I had to think of what I consider a "muscular" speaker I would say the klipsch rf7 III.
I don't listen to much classical music, but I do listen to a lot of electronic music, retrowave, majestic soundtracks, all music that likes a certain impact and dynamic component.
I'm not a refined ear, the speakers I use for listening are klipsch rp600m that satisfy me a lot, despite the problems of fr.
I also have Kef Q350s in a secondary system which I find very pleasant.
I also have a 5.1 system entirely made up of magnat speakers (including the 1002 I was talking about a few posts ago)
In the next few months I'll be moving house and I'll have a nice room available in which to put nice floorstanding speakers so I'm starting to find out.
The first thought was for the Klipsch rp8000f because I own the rp600m and I really like them.

OP
Talisman

Talisman

Forum Donor
Dali Oberon could be the ticket. It has pretty beefy low end. If you get a good deal and stretch your budget couple hundred you could get the Oberon 9, it's a beast.

Was not my cup of tea but shouldn't leave anyone cold.
I have to say that I really like them aesthetically, they really have that muscular and imposing look that I like. Do you find reviews with measurements?

OP
Talisman

Talisman

Forum Donor
In reality, Focal 948s here in Europe can be found even below 3000, and on occasion close to 2500. For me it is already a fairly high budget (too high) and I would prefer to stay at least below 2000. But around 1500 would be the ideal

bodhi

Forum Donor
I have to say that I really like them aesthetically, they really have that muscular and imposing look that I like. Do you find reviews with measurements?

I have had the Oberon 3 (bookshelf version, same woofer) for a few days, it certainly had balls. Too much for me I guess and I switched them to the Opticon MK2 which was more controlled and hmm... mild version.

There are some opinions. Based on that single measurement of the 7 I'm not sure what more would the 9s bring to the table. I guess if you have a huge room.

OP
Talisman

Talisman

Forum Donor

I realize I haven't expressed well what I mean.
I've generally found that I quite like the V-EQ. The high SPLs, not at party level but with good sound pressure to enjoy impactful music well, let's say that it should be able to play well even at 95db from time to time. The low frequency extension interests me because al. At the moment I don't intend to integrate with a sub, so let's say it should reach at least 35hz at - 4/5 db (or close to them).
But the thing that interests me most of all is the sensation, which I don't know how to describe in words, of a "big", full, powerful sound, not that of a bookshelf speaker

Top Bottom