• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Munich Hi-End

magicLX

Audio Company
I would love to hear the Linkwitz LX521.4 loudspeakers. Are these "passively" driven by two amplifiers instead of "actively" driven by the usual four amplifiers?
On the Munich show, the LINKWITZ LX521.4MG were driven by a 4-way analog, active, cascaded precision crossover & eq.

Followed by 5 amplification channels per side: sub driver #1, sub driver #2, lo-mid, hi-mid, tweeters.

This 4-way XO&EQ together with the NCore amps reside next to the cabinets in the "PowerBoxes" and are easily connected with two multiway Neutrik SpeakOn plugs.

https://linkwitz.store/blog/2023/02/05/hifi-deluxe/

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
The cat is out of the bag thanks to a Dutch Audio magazine, D&D held a closed room event to demonstrate Bacch integration with the 8Cs,
it is I believe the same version of Bacch that Daniel Weiss licensed for his crosstalk cancellation design.
I will post the link from the magazine and Roel of Pura audio has written a piece for his blog which should appear tomorrow.

Keith

Gruesome

Forum Donor
Thanks for the reference. I did not know that there are grounding monsters.

Very very sad.

Gruesome

Forum Donor
Thanks for sharing the link with the photos @Purité Audio I always find coverage of these shows interesting or funny, and this one has very nice shots. The sheer opulence of some of the cable solutions borders on parody: View attachment 286861

I should visit the show one day, I'm not that far from Germany.
Vacuum insulated cables. Yes!

Last edited:

tomchris

Why do you ask?

My 'limited' understanding of the Linkwitz LX521 speakers is that they require 8-10 channels plus active xo/eq such as miniDSP 4x10HD. Looking at the picture below, I was expecting to see a stack of amps and cables. Seeing a single unit connected to each speaker with a single cable, I hoped that they had made a set of LX521s with passive crossovers driven by monoblocks. I believe Linkwitz' initial set of LX521 had passive crossovers at one point. (source: Interview with Linkwitz, question #4)

The existence of the LXpower PowerBoxes simply escaped my attention at that moment; my mistake:facepalm:.

DSC_6713ss.jpg

Last edited:

Linearphass

That is an easy mistake to make.

In the original variant that was the case. There was passive crossover between the low mid and the high mid. The newer version has no passive crossover. Each driver has it own amplifier , except for the tweeters, they share an amplifier. There is only a short cable assembly in between the amplifier and its receptive driver.

From the company CEO above:

"At the Munich show, the LINKWITZ LX521.4MG were driven by a 4-way analog, active, cascaded precision crossover & eq.

Followed by 5 amplification channels per side: sub driver #1, sub driver #2, lo-mid, hi-mid, tweeters.

This 4-way XO&EQ together with the NCore amps reside next to the cabinets in the "PowerBoxes" and are easily connected with two multiway Neutrik SpeakOn plugs.

https://linkwitz.store/blog/2023/02/05/hifi-deluxe/"

Everything you need to drive the entire speaker is in the small powerbox adjacent to it, including the necessary low level active crossovers and equalization.
Hence the catchphrase on the sign- Just Add Music!

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is a very impressive and well-organized video on YouTube from my-hiend.

Little of interest to us, but the level of execution is commendable.

Top Bottom