• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Multiroom Spotify through Roon

radix

Major Contributor
I was looking for a way to have multiform playback from Spotify. I have a minidsp SHD and a Naim Mu-so, both "roon ready". What I found is the Roon extension manager and the Entrypoints extensions. What these do is setup a Spotify Connect endpoint that turns the Spotify stream into a live radio station which can then be played across a Roon speaker group.

I see a handful of other posts here that use Entrypoints, but I thought I would specifically mention that it can be used to play Spotify on multiple Roon zones.

I run my Roon core on a Synology NAS. I added Docker to the NAS and run the extensions manager there too. It required a little hacking to get the extensions manager running on the NAS, as it needs access to the docker socket to run each extension in its own container. I can post a writeup of all the setup steps if anyone is interested.

The downside is there's about a 6-7 second control lag between changing something inside Spotify (e.g. next track) and it happening in Roon.

If the SHD had a current Volumio, I'd just put a Pi on the mu-so and use Volumio multiroom. But I don't want to dedicate two Pis to those systems just for this.

Another option is using SongShift (iphone) to sync my Spotify playlists to Qobuz and then using Qobuz on a Roon speaker group.

Marc

Top Bottom