• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Multiroom: best decision I've ever made (versus focusing on one setup)

Victoria

Hey everyone!~ So I've historically always just had one audio system which I would spend most of my time and focus on, but a couple of months ago I decided to toy around with the idea of having speakers elsewhere around my home rather than upgrade my main audio system to see how much that improved my listening satisfaction; and the answer is: a lot. I'm absolutely hooked with having music all over my house now!

My main audio system is usually part of my PC setup since I do spend most of my time in front of my PC. I'm currently running a pair of Yamaha NX-N500's which I purchased a couple of years ago as a temporary solution while I was moving house and all, but I did plan on upgrading them eventually.

Me being me I couldn't firmly decide on what to replace my trusty Yamaha's with so I eventually ditched that plan and embarked on my little multiroom adventure with my first purchase being a B&O Beosound 1 for my bedroom. I've always admired B&O's styling and because I've used a good number of ICEpower amplifiers over the years I felt that I could sufficiently trust their products. What's cool about the Beosound 1 is that it's actually got a battery inside so it's semi-portable and I found myself bringing this speaker everywhere with me in the house as it allowed me to enjoy music all day long regardless of what I was up to.

Not long after I added a Beosound 2 to the club and I'm slowly adding speakers everywhere. Bathroom, bedroom, kitchen, living, study, you name it. And I'm loving it!

I've never really considered myself much of an audiophile, more a music lover; though I don't shy away from spending a decent amount on a product if I feel that it can improve my listening experience or the aesthetics of my home, so I have spent a decent chunk of change on speakers and the like over the years. Having said that I can confidently say that I've never made an audio purchasing decision which has put this much of a smile on my face, ever. Now I can be enjoying music in the living room and if I decide to quickly do some laundry in the bedroom I can just tap my speaker in the bedroom and it'll instantly play along to whatever I was originally playing on whichever speaker elsewhere. Or I can just fire up all of my speakers simultaneously and turn my house into a club.

And what really makes me happy is that all this means that I can do what I love doing a lot more often: which is to listen to more and more music! From the moment I step through the front door I have music playing everywhere I need to be, even as I'm slowly unwinding in the bathroom.

I'm well and truly a happy happy bunny now and I think I've finally found what I never knew I've always wanted. Peace everyone, that is all!~

Tks

Major Contributor
I'm starting to want something like this. But kinda spooky thinking I'd be OCD about it and spend more than I bargained for >_<

Home automation is also something I'd like but again... A scary rabbit hole I'd not want to start out of uncertainty of how deep I'd get hooked to perfecting things.

Got into audio a little less than a year ago. Thankfully I don't care about speakers so much, as I do critical listening with headphones, and the most critical listening with IEM's that remove virtually all of ambient noise). But if I got into multi-room/automation with good speakers/amps etc.. I think I'd have to start skipping meals >_<

OP
Victoria

Victoria

Haha, well, I am finding that with multiroom I am a lot more relaxed in terms of my listening standards. Like I'm just happy that there's music everywhere! So once I'm done with all my new additions I don't expect to see myself changing anything until such point something irreparably breaks. So I really do see it as a very long-term "buy and forget" kind of purchasing decision.

I also think that "critical listening" is grossly overrated, but that's just me. I mostly listen to music while doing stuff. Don't get me wrong though; there are times where I just like to stone on my couch and have music flowing through the background, but that isn't exactly "critical" either.

I think having a well thought out multiroom system is something that should be explored by more people.

I'd much rather have a predefined budget spread across the house than on a single dedicated system which I may not always have the luxury of being in front of; even if it means having 80% of the budget on a "main" system and then having the remainder 20% on something much more casual; I believe it'll open up a much greater appreciation for casual listening!

Even my "main" Yamaha's are probably never going to be replaced anymore, and that's great!

I'll still be around this forum though, since I do enjoy the company and discussions; and I ultimately always have an interest in the technological progress of audio products (especially in the Class-D realm) and I'm eternally grateful for the pursuit of scientific measurements and facts against all the baseless and mystical claims which has plagued this hobby for far too long.

Juhazi

Major Contributor
Sound leaking from a room to another makes the sound echoey. This disturbs intelligibility of lyrics and in general the hifi concept. This cannot be handled with delay settings, because the effect is bilateral.

Multiroom system with easy remote (wireless) on/off per room woud be fine for me, but difficult to install and needs some extra activity to be used. With infrared sensors, this could work fine for a single person without a dog!

Anyway, Victoria, feel free to enjoy your system! Having multiroom doesn't make our primary set any worse! You just have an option!

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Horses for courses as they say. I like to sit (or lie) down and listen to music so a more traditional set up is fine for me but I can understand the appeal of multi-room and some wireless speakers are excellent. The is serious effort in R&D for wireless speakers (and sound bars) and it shows.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Logitech Media Server works a treat for this, whether it's with Squeezebox hardware (sadly now only available used) or one of the software players on PC or SBC. The grouping of players, and transferring playlists between them, works a little differently depending on the plugins enabled. The open interface means it hooks into several home automation systems if you want to go that way.

Top Bottom