• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Multiple Preamps in chain?

mjma

I have a Topping Pre90+Ext90 connected to class d power via XLR and a sub via RCA (using the XLR+RCA out on the Pre90). This is quite good really, because it allows me to effectively switch off the sub by switching to XLR out, with just a slight volume bump.

Sometimes, however, I get all romantic/nostalgic and want some tubes in the mix. I have a nice tube preamp which has XLR out, but I'm not sure how I can have it setup without needing to mess around with connections (usually only get the time once a week and it's only a 2 minute faff, but still). In case it matters, it's a Woo Audio WA22.

The obvious thing would be a passive switcher between both the preamps and the power amp - but how does that work with the sub? Can I use a passive XLR switcher and split the XLR output into both XLR and RCA for the amp an the sub? I think not.

The alternative I think I want, but aren't sure about, is to have the tube preamp input into the Pre90? It has an output impedance of <50O but on this forum we've previously discussed that the Pre90 isn't so hot with it's input impedence. What are the ups and downs here?

Thanks.

Top Bottom