• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Multiple headphones at the same time

Gonzaxx

Hello, I'm new, and I was recommended to come to this forum to see if you can help me with this topic.

I have a pc, to which I would like to connect 4 iems, either to watch movies, listen to music and play games.

The iems that I would buy (4 in total) are: the moondrop blessing 2 dusk.

whose impedance is 22.

According to what they told me, I should use a dac to connect them to the pc and then use a splitter for each iem.

As they are iem, and they have a very low impedance, I had to search a lot until I found a dac that works for them.

The topping dx7 pro +.

Therefore, things would remain this way.

PC - - - - - dac (topping dx7 pro +) - - - - - splitter - - - - - iem x4.

My query is:

1- Is this possible, how is it proposed or do we have to add more things.

2-I will achieve that all the iem can be heard well, without noise or distortion.

3-with this configuration there is no danger for the dac, example overload, etc.

4 - will be achieved with this configuration, play the best audio codecs available in the dac topping.

Thank you so much.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
22 Ohms split 2 ways or 4 ways is too low of a load for near all headphone amps. You might need to buy 2 headphone amps. Or find a unit with 4 headphone outputs. They exist but are rare.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Peruse 'til your heart's content .....

If you have questions, just call them. Both businesses have very nice people to help you.

Jim
Those are some awesome links @Jim Taylor.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Peruse 'til your heart's content .....

If you have questions, just call them. Both businesses have very nice people to help you.

Jim
Those would be good except they have output impedances between 47 and 120 ohms depending upon which 4 way amp you are referring to. I knew the Behringer did as I have used it (the 4 way is 80 ohms, and 8-way 120 ohms). It works and sounds fine with higher impedance phones. I was looking at suggesting those until I looked at output impedance specs.

OP
G

Gonzaxx

How should I connect 2 amplifiers?

Since the best codecs are available on the usb port.

What should use a usb splitter

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't think a USB splitter works for this.

You can certainly do a 4 way split coming out of the Topping into 4 separate headphone amps. I don't know the budget for this. A JDS Atom+ amp is $99 and good for IEMs. So 4 of those would work. They even have two outputs. So you could use one split and split each of those to another pair of amps as far as I know. Still need 4 Atoms for 4 headphones. The Atoms are also pretty small so they don't take up huge amounts of space even for 4 of them. Here is a review by Amir.

OP
G

Gonzaxx

According to what you say, I would connect the dac, then split the signal to 4 amps with a splitter.

You can do that, even though the dx7 pro+ dac topping is also an amp.

Is there no problem for that?

And if you use an amplifier, it would not be better to use one of the same brand. Example topping l30 II

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I had forgotten the DX7 Pro has multiple outputs. So you could use both the XLR and RCA outputs on the back to a pair of amps. You also could use two of the headphone outs on the front to two other amps. No need for a splitter, just some adapters.

Or just using a splitter from either of the outputs on the back to 4 amps would work also.

I don't know that using a Topping I30 II has any advantage vs the other brands. Though it certainly would work. The JDS would save money and I doubt you'll hear any difference in them, but if you don't mind the money to have an all Topping setup that would be fine too.

OP
G

Gonzaxx

The xlr and rca outputs have an impedance of 100.

It seems to me that it is not a good idea, for the iem.

But I'm not sure that's why I'm asking.

And I ask about using each of the outputs to connect an amplifier, is that possible?

If possible, it wouldn't be better to directly connect an iem to that output.

And the idea of using a divider in an output to 4 amplifiers. That is not the idea that best applies to this situation.

Thank you so much

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I was not referring to XLR and RCA outputs to an IEM directly. They would go to a headphone amp. For instance the JDS has 100 kohm input impedance. The output impedance of the DX7 of 100 ohms is fine with that. If you used a 4 way splitter to feed 4 headphone amps the combined input impedance is 25 kohms and just the RCA or XLR outputs into that would also be fine. Output impedance of each amp to the IEM is close to zero ohms. So yes, a 4 way splitter would work used this way. It would be the simplest.

RCA out to 4 way splitter into 4 JDS amps (or 4 Topping IL 30s)and each IEM user can adjust volume with the amp they are using without effecting the others. No bad impedance matches, no lack of power.

You could use one or two of the headphone outputs of the DX7, but using the volume might effect the outputs together. I'm not sure, but that also complicates using the devices a little bit.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
4 IEM's, each 22ohm in parallel means the headphone amp 'sees' a 5.5ohm load.
This is unusually low.
Fortunately they are 117dB/V so you won't need more than 1V and an amp that can provide 0.5W in 16ohm should be enough to reach impressive levels.
When you only need to go somewhat loud a 0.2W in 16ohm amp would be sufficient.
In this particular case you can use 3 cheap 3.5mm splitters and this way have 4x 3.5mm outputs. No need to buy special gear just something that can provide some power in 16ohm.
When it can provide the described power it will be able to provide enough current for the 4 IEMs (about 150mA is required) in parallel.

Last edited:
OP
G

Gonzaxx

Sorry for the delay in responding, I was doing some research because the subject got a bit technical and beyond my knowledge. I don't know how to respond properly to the last comments.

Therefore, to pass clean, the best option would be:

1- Pc --- Dac ---- splitter ----- amplifier x 4 ----- iem x4
2- Pc----- Any way to connect dac x2 ------- splitter----- iemx4
3 Pc---- dac ---- different connections to the dac---- amplifiers x 4----- iem x4.
4--- Any better connection that you suggest.

Iem that I would choose are the moondrop blessing 2 duck, impedance 22
dac, topping dx7 pro+
amplifiers: I listen to the best suggestions (JDS Atom+, etc).

What would be the best option to achieve that 4 iem can be heard in the best possible way for movies, games, etc.

Thank you so much

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
#1 is best I think. Have you seen the Schiit headphone amps. They are about the same price as a ATOM AMP+ but have more power. Usually about 2x the power rating for the same price.

OP
G

Gonzaxx

#1 is best I think. Have you seen the Schiit headphone amps. They are about the same price as a ATOM AMP+ but have more power. Usually about 2x the power rating for the same price.
Should the divider be applied to the 3.5 output?

I have seen these dividers:

It serves?

Or should the divider be applied to another outlet?

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Can you bring me up to speed on what hardware gear you want? I'm not sure what you decided on. :D

solderdude

Grand Contributor
DX7 pro -> splitter 4x -> 4x moondrop blessing 2 dusk will work just fine.
Unless you want all 4 IEM's to have individual volume controls there is no need to buy 4 amps.

OP
G

Gonzaxx

DX7 pro -> splitter 4x -> 4x moondrop blessing 2 dusk will work just fine.
Unless you want all 4 IEM's to have individual volume controls there is no need to buy 4 amps.
in this case there is no danger for the DAC? (example: overload, failures, etc)

thank you so much

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I don't think so because you won't be drawing much power as the sensitivity is very high.
Best not to try and drive 8 ohm speakers with it though.:)

Top Bottom