• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Multicore speaker cable question.

Recluse-Animator

This is probably a stupid question, but here goes.

Is a 8 x 2.5mm2 multicore speaker cable equal to a 2 x 10mm2?

If you have a active 3 way speaker with external amp and want to use at least 2 x 6mm2 equaling cable in multicore with a 8 pole speakon connector.
I'm aware you'll be left with two unused cores.

Last edited:

Zek

Major Contributor
It is not entirely clear what the intention of this question is and what it actually wants to achieve.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Resistance is a function of cross-sectional area, so 8 x 2.5mm2 = 20 mm2 and 2 x 10 mm2 = 20 mm2 -- they are identical as far as area (and thus resistance) is concerned.

If you have a active 3 way speaker with external amp and want to use at least 2 x 6mm2 equaling cable in multicore with a 8 pole speakon connector.
I do not know what this means.

OP
Recluse-Animator

Recluse-Animator

I meant to wright Is a 8 x 2.5mm2 multicore speaker cable equal to a 2 x 20mm2?...

dorakeg

This is probably a stupid question, but here goes.

If you are comparing overall cbale cross sectional and hence resistance. Yes, it will be be similar.

However, there are other differences. Depending on configuration, 8 x 2.5mm2 cables will potentially have much higher capacitance than just 2 cores. This is because the common configuration will be alternate cores for +Ve and -ve.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If you are comparing overall cbale cross sectional and hence resistance. Yes, it will be be similar.

However, there are other differences. Depending on configuration, 8 x 2.5mm2 cables will potentially have much higher capacitance than just 2 cores. This is because the common configuration will be alternate cores for +Ve and -ve.
Also, since it’s an active system, all channels will get equal cross section, while you really only need it for bass.

Top Bottom