• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Multichannel Speaker Levels for Rear Speakers

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have always perceived rear speakers (both rear surround and Top Rear Atmos) speaker levels to be lower than LCR and side surrounds (after calibration and using test tones). In order for those speakers to sound as loud as the speakers in front and to the sides, I sometimes will bump those up a dB or 2 until I perceive them as the same level when playing a test tone.
From a bit of quick google searches it seems that the human ear does have better acuity with sound coming from the front. Since a microphone is Omnidirectional unlike the human ear should speaker levels located behind us be raised some?
Or is it in my head that a speaker behind me played at the same level as a forward/side (measured with a calibrated mic) seems to be at a lower level?

OP
D

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are the speakers and amplifiers identical?
Top front and top rear speakers are the same as well as amplifier. Both TF/TR in addition are approximately the same distance away as well and both aimed at the MLP. Both measure the same level after calibration with a mic. That is why my question boils down to is something that measures the same loudness in front of you with a mic the same loudness we perceive with our ears. The case of top front/top back is less noticeable than the rear surround speakers vs the LCR. Both are about the same distance from the MLP... C208(3) up front and 2 S16's on wall for the rear. S16's are actually more sensitive than the C208's and calibrated to the same level... yet when playing test tones, front speakers sound louder than the rear.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My presumption is the speakers in the mixing room are calibrated to equal loudness using an omni mic, so any psychoacoustic effects from head shading etc. should have been addressed in the mix.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Or is it in my head that a speaker behind me played at the same level as a forward/side (measured with a calibrated mic) seems to be at a lower level?
See if you can find a copy of a Atmos Demo Disc. I have the 2016 version that will let you play a test signal to all of your speakers one at a time. While sitting in you chair do these test signals sound equal in level? Or use an spl meter at your listening position to measure the levels.
If they all sound/measure equal then the imbalance your hearing is on the source material.

Top Bottom