• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

multichannel DSP + DAC as alternative to miniDSP

goldistan

My application is LX521, it requires the following functions:
- 8 channel analog output
- DSP that supports at least 6 PEQs (inc. shelving filters) per channel
- Basic matrix routing (I just need to copy 2 inputs onto 8 outputs)
- Digital input via coax or optical SPDIF/AES
- The DSP must happen in the device, it must work with no computer connected
- Bonus points for volume control (one knob to control all outputs at once)

I currently use miniDSP 4x10 and it checks the list. however I'm not happy with the functionality and reliability of this unit, and looking for replacement.
There are several device types that can do this job, and they include audio interfaces, loudspeaker management, generic DSPs, matrix mixers and more.

Unfortunately this is a tedious search as I have to read the entire operating manual to determine if device X can do the job. I always find some arbitrary software limitation that breaks my application.

I'm looking for recommendations for such a device. bonus points if you actually run 4-way speaker from it, even more so if it's LX521.

ps. my current preferred candidate is Xilica XD-4080, looks like it does all the DSP I need and only lacks volume control. happy to learn of more options.

Thanks.

Last edited:

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What functionality did the MiniDSP lack for this sort of application?

If you’re bothered by the analog performance only, a MiniDSP NanoDigi could work for your application.

OP
G

goldistan

What functionality did the MiniDSP lack for this sort of application?

If you’re bothered by the analog performance only, a MiniDSP NanoDigi could work for your application.

The miniDSP 4x10 is unreliable: volume control is bad, the chassis is not grounded (quite often requires reboot after touching the volume knob), the remote never ever worked (I tried two of them) and during 8 years of service every one of the 3 boards inside the unit failed and had to be replaced.

If I can't find a full replacement I'll get a nanoDIGI 2x8 and wire that to an 8ch DAC, this way there's only one board to replace :)

Daverz

Major Contributor
The miniDSP 4x10 is unreliable: volume control is bad, the chassis is not grounded (quite often requires reboot after touching the volume knob), the remote never ever worked (I tried two of them) and during 8 years of service every one of the 3 boards inside the unit failed and had to be replaced.

If I can't find a full replacement I'll get a nanoDIGI 2x8 and wire that to an 8ch DAC, this way there's only one board to replace :)

I have a nanoDIGI here, and experienced pop noises with it. Hard to say if it was the nanoDIGI or the other devices or cables.

If you have the 8 channel DAC, a Raspberry Pi running CamillaDSP would work as well as a nanoDIGI and be much more flexible. Also the wiring would be much simpler with a USB 8 channel DAC.

Setup is pretty easy. CamillaDSP does have a web interface, but it's not the most mobile friendly. It does work in Safari on my iPhone, though.

Vince2

Check out the motu ultra lite Mk4 or other models. Will need to chain several channels in mixer to get enough peq filters enabled, I believe only 3 peq per channel. Set up of peq filters is more cumbersome but will get the job done.

OP
G

goldistan

Check out the motu ultra lite Mk4 or other models. Will need to chain several channels in mixer to get enough peq filters enabled, I believe only 3 peq per channel. Set up of peq filters is more cumbersome but will get the job done.

I'm looking into MOTU ultralike mk5 or 828es, not sure if they work without a computer

Update: it does, but it unfortunately has arbitrary software limits that break my application.
Too bad, the hardware looks really good.

Last edited:

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm looking into MOTU ultralike mk5 or 828es, not sure if they work without a computer

Update: it does, but it unfortunately has arbitrary software limits that break my application.
Too bad, the hardware looks really good.

Mk5 + RPi4 + CamillaDSP can easily implement the necessary filters for the LX521. Are you opposed to using a RPi? Once programmed it is completely standalone and does not require a separate computer.

Here are a few other options I have come across.

Danville Signal Processing - dspNexus 2/8
https://danvillesignal.com/dspnexus-dsp-audio-processor

Audiophonics miniSHARC Controller (based on a miniSHARC which is more powerful and better performing than the nanoDIGI)
https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/dsp-...-preamplifier-dac-network-player-p-13124.html

For the miniSHARC option I had previously contacted audiophonics and they indicated they can add another DAC for just the cost of the DAC if you want 8 channels of output (default configuration is 6 channels).

Michael

Last edited:

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree with @mdsimon2 that the Danville's dspNexus 2/8 would fit for your requirement.

BTW, even though my suggestion is against your point of;
- The DSP must happen in the device, it must work with no computer connected

I still highly recommend you to consider the very much flexible digital processing within PC, and to use OKTO DAC8PRO as fully synchronized 8-channel DAC. Just for your reference, in my multichannel multi-driver (multi-way) multi-amplifier project, you may find my latest system configuration.

Last edited:
OP
G

goldistan

Mk5 + RPi4 + CamillaDSP can easily implement the necessary filters for the LX521. Are you opposed to using a RPi? Once programmed it is completely standalone and does not require a separate computer.

Here are a few other options I have come across.

Danville Signal Processing - dspNexus 2/8
https://danvillesignal.com/dspnexus-dsp-audio-processor

Audiophonics miniSHARC Controller (based on a miniSHARC which is more powerful and better performing than the nanoDIGI)
https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/dsp-...-preamplifier-dac-network-player-p-13124.html

For the miniSHARC option I had previously contacted audiophonics and they indicated they can add another DAC for just the cost of the DAC if you want 8 channels of output (default configuration is 6 channels).

Michael

1. Audiophonics looks nice, the software UI looks just like miniDSP, even same colors. I wonder why.
2. Dspnexus looks nice too and doesn't require import (to the US), but how do I buy one?
Edit: nevermind it's $3000

Last edited:

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1. Audiophonics looks nice, the software UI looks just like miniDSP, even same colors. I wonder why.
2. Dspnexus looks nice too and doesn't require import (to the US), but how do I buy one?

The miniSHARC module that the Audiophonics is based on IS a miniDSP module. It is a DIY module with I2S inputs and outputs and is much more powerful than most of their hardware. For example it has 10 PEQs on input channels as well as 10 PEQs on output channels, 3000 ms of delay on each channel and can implement user defined FIR filters. The miniSHARC module is actually the basis for miniDSP products like the DDRC-22D, DDRC-88A and DDRC-88D. What the Audiophonics implementation brings is good input functionality, DAC integration (this is not trivial when dealing I2S outputs) and a display/controller.

I don't have LX521s (yet) but I do have the plans. I'll whip up a CamillaDSP configuration to show that the filters can easily be implemented in a RPi4 running CamillaDSP. I've already done this for the LXminis, see link below.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ds/diyinhk-dac-measurements.23629/post-836821

Michael

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I had nice e-mail communications with Al Clark of Danville Signal.
(I intensively discussed with him for their dspNexsus 2/16 which will be available hopefully by the end of this year.)

He informed that he would have no problem in shiping their products to Japan by FedEx, and he will accept credit card paymment in US Dollar as in their listed price.

The import tax and any possible custom handling charge should depend on the country where you recieve it, and FedEx will later send you an invoice for these to you for which you can also pay by your credit card, I believe.

I did the exactly the same process when I directly purchased my OKTO DAC8PRO from Prague in Czech to Chiba Prefecture (near Tokyo) in Japan.

I would like to suggest you to contact first with AL Clark of Danville Signal through their "Talk to Us" on their web site.

Edit: Oh, looks you are living in the US, and no international import process from Danville, that should be nice!

Solveit

I have a nanoDIGI here, and experienced pop noises with it. Hard to say if it was the nanoDIGI or the other devices or cables.

If you have the 8 channel DAC, a Raspberry Pi running CamillaDSP would work as well as a nanoDIGI and be much more flexible. Also the wiring would be much simpler with a USB 8 channel DAC.

Setup is pretty easy. CamillaDSP does have a web interface, but it's not the most mobile friendly. It does work in Safari on my iPhone, though.
I run nanoDigi with two Khadas Dac's and never had any problem with any pop or noises and it workes after your initial crossover setup without computer.

Lorenzo74

Minidsp is reliable brand and it perfectly fit your speaker.

Don’t forget S. Linkwits personally approved the cheapest minidsp device for his speakers.

https://www.minidsp.com/applications/powered-by-minidsp/linkwitz-lab-lx521

“After more listening by myself and an experienced audio professional I can state that Davey's LX521 DSP prototype is without reservations an excellent alternative to the ASP in a stereo system application.”
Siegfried Linkwitz

I had no issue with Minidsp products in last 6 years.
I suggest you to reach-out their help-desk and ask for suggestion or unit replacement.

If you have goldenear, you’re less than 30ish (which means you can go beyond 15kHz… And money to spend the better choice is
https://www.deqx.com/

Best

Reactions: JRS

Jukka

If you didn't have amps already, I would have suggested daisy-chaining Hypex FusionAmps and building a box for them. You would get remote possibility with ir sensor, up to 4x3 channels of NCore amplification, different power levels configured by selection of plates to use, powerful DSP for each channel, automatic sleep mode etc. You can use digital preamp for volume control and source selecting if you connect digitally, 24 bits have dynamic range to cope easily!

JayGilb

Major Contributor
I use a Rane RPM 88 for my crossover and DSP. It requires a windows pc for initial setup, but stores current configuration in non-volatile ram.
8 analog in - 8 analog out along with 2 channel aes/ebu in/out.
The RPM line is no longer supported by Rane, but can be purchased for a decent price used.

rpm88fp.png

rpm88ch.png

rpm88.PNG

Dion_Sinewave

Forum Donor
Nice JayGlib! I have something similar.

I wonder what ASR thinks of our Professional DACs?

I have a Dolby Lake DLP as my primary DAC (4in and 12 out analog and 8x8 AES plus Dante!) it’s fantastic, versatile and modular too. I use it to drive my 4 way active setu.

And I have 2x Dolby Lake Contours as well.

Top Bottom