• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Multichannel DAC or multiple stereo DACs?

ppataki

Major Contributor
Hi All,
I have a 4.0 system hence I need a DAC with four channels
I am thinking about two options:
1. a multichannel DAC like the Apollo Twin X
2. a digital interface like the RME Digiface USB and connect two stereo DACs like SMSL M300 mk2 to it via optical cable

I have seen the measurements of the M300 mk2, it is pretty impressive: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-measurement-of-smsl-m300-mkii-edition.10836/
Actually I have an M300 mk1 and I definitely love the sound of it
I managed to find some measurements about Apollo X8p (which is not the same as Twin X but supposed to be even better):
https://fr.audiofanzine.com/interfa...e-l-interface-universal-audio-apollo-x8p.html

By the looks of it the M300 mk2 would be a much better choice; the question is if it performs the same via optical too?
Any views, comments would be appreciated
Thank you

OP
P

ppataki

Major Contributor
I guess the RME Digiface shall manage that properly since the DACs would be connected via optical (I am not an expert though)

mansr

Major Contributor
I guess the RME Digiface shall manage that properly since the DACs would be connected via optical (I am not an expert though)
That is correct. With S/PDIF, the sender sets the rate, and the Digiface outputs synchronously on all channels.

OP
P

ppataki

Major Contributor

I was also thinking about that but it works in WASAPI mode and not ASIO
This means that I cannot set it to 4.0 mode in Jriver since Jriver currently only supports the same number of channels in WASAPI mode as many channels the device has (so in case of Okto only 7.1 mode would work but not 4.0)
At least that is my understanding

mansr

Major Contributor
This means that I cannot set it to 4.0 mode in Jriver since Jriver currently only supports the same number of channels in WASAPI mode as many channels the device has (so in case of Okto only 7.1 mode would work but not 4.0)
You could play silence on the unused channels. I'm not familiar with Jriver, but if it has a channel routing and/or matrix mixing feature it should be easy enough to configure.

H

Hifihedgehog

Don’t quote me on this, but I swear Virtual Audio Cable might support this sort of functionality of matrix outputs wherein you can assign stereo channel pairs from a single virtual multichannel input to multiple physical stereo outputs. If not, I would definitely suggest going the route of an Okto Research DAC8 Pro like others have recommended here since it would take away all of the trouble and potential issues associated with setting up a matrix output network.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Hmm. I am using an Okto DAC8 Pro with JRiver and an ASIO driver. I have set JRiver output to 5.1 but it can play 2.0, 3.0, 4.0, 5.0 and 5.1 without any adjustments.

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hmm. I am using an Okto DAC8 Pro with JRiver and an ASIO driver. I have set JRiver output to 5.1 but it can play 2.0, 3.0, 4.0, 5.0 and 5.1 without any adjustments.
Kal, any chance this means a review of the OktoDAC Pro will be coming up soon in Stereophile?
:D

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Kal, any chance this means a review of the OktoDAC Pro will be coming up soon in Stereophile?
I am hoping it might happen.
Let me add that, in order to make the same statement about the DAC8 Pro and Roon, one needs to set the output to 7.1.

prasanth.nath

Forum Donor
Related question: was not able get a conclusive answer on Roon forum.

Can I run an 3-way system (such as LX Studio), by implementing the crossovers and EQ in Roon, and sending that to a device like RME Digiface which is then connected to 3 pairs of dacs (of same model/make).

I know Roon supports multi-channel, but aren't they talking about the case when the source itself is multi-channel audio files? Do they handle the case above where a 2 channel, say flac file, gets split into 3 ways per channel --> eq -> xo --> digiface.

Apologies if this question is too dumb.
Thanks

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Related question: was not able get a conclusive answer on Roon forum.
Can I run an 3-way system (such as LX Studio), by implementing the crossovers and EQ in Roon, and sending that to a device like RME Digiface which is then connected to 3 pairs of dacs (of same model/make).

I know Roon supports multi-channel, but aren't they talking about the case when the source itself is multi-channel audio files? Do they handle the case above where a 2 channel, say flac file, gets split into 3 ways per channel --> eq -> xo --> digiface.
You need to program Roon to create a 5.1 USB output to the Digiface in which each channel is the result of the crossover/EQ DSP. Then the Digiface can distribute the digital outputs to your 3 DACs. Neither ROON nor the Digiface should care what the channels are labeled. I've never used the Digiface but I have played with the miniDSP U-DIO8 doing similar.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi All,
I have a 4.0 system hence I need a DAC with four channels
I am thinking about two options:
1. a multichannel DAC like the Apollo Twin X
2. a digital interface like the RME Digiface USB and connect two stereo DACs like SMSL M300 mk2 to it via optical cable

I have seen the measurements of the M300 mk2, it is pretty impressive: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-measurement-of-smsl-m300-mkii-edition.10836/
Actually I have an M300 mk1 and I definitely love the sound of it
I managed to find some measurements about Apollo X8p (which is not the same as Twin X but supposed to be even better):
https://fr.audiofanzine.com/interfa...e-l-interface-universal-audio-apollo-x8p.html

By the looks of it the M300 mk2 would be a much better choice; the question is if it performs the same via optical too?
Any views, comments would be appreciated
Thank you

I hope my multichannel multi-amplifier project with DAC8PRO, JRiver (or Roon), ASIO4ALL and software crossover EKIO would be somewhat valuable for your reference.

Top Bottom