• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Multichannel dac advice

BobbyTimmons

DACs should sound the same between each other. The difference will be the features, connections, long-term reliability, etc.

Vince2

I have been looking for a tutorial to set up a motu ultra lite 4 for multichannel dac under windows 10. Motu indicates that it should work with voicemeeter but so far no luck. Suggestions welcome. In particular, regarding routing, where or which app changes the stereo out from qobuz or other streaming service in multichannel left and right? I want to use eq apo linear filters.

Last edited:

mkt

OP
J

john111

Yep, i am waiting for a reply from motu myself, apologies , will update as soon as it comes through.
I did hear good things about the motu used in conjuction with mac based pc's from a lot of people, well done Andrewjohn007 getting yours to work. I'm thinking of buying a mac myself just to get this project over and done with, if i can't find a windows solution. Apparently with a mac you can output the surround channels through one usb port, the centre through a second usb, the front channels through a third usb, so use multiple dacs.

Daverz

Major Contributor
It sounds from the lack of comments that soundcards are not popular amongst audiophiles, okay, any more recommendations for a multichannel windows dac. BTW I just paid for a motu mk4 hoping it may work as a good dac, after trying everything i could not get it to work for multichannel from pc, i emailed motu and they said it is not suitable for such a purpose. Gutted. £500 just went down the drain. Apparently it needs multiple sources. Any help?

It has 4 output channels. Perhaps they thought you were some punter who wanted it for a 5.1 surround sound system?

I'm using it currently for a 2.1 system with the channel routing and sub/main crossover done by camillaDSP running on a RPi4. Should also work fine for 2.2 system or digital crossover for 2-way stereo speakers. Basically any project that requires 2 channels in and 4 channels out.

datrumole

You could buy a Khadas Tone Board and wire up the 8 channel out of the DAC chip.

this looks VERY interesting at the price point

has anyone used this? i'd be curious if it needed a beefier power supply for the output voltage for all 8ch?

raindance

Major Contributor
Why would you need a beefier power supply for voltage out? It's not driving speakers. There's very little current.

Also, why do you say studio gear isn't hifi? What do you listen to on your sound system? How do you think it got recorded?

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
this looks VERY interesting at the price point

has anyone used this? i'd be curious if it needed a beefier power supply for the output voltage for all 8ch?

I've seen this discussed a few times but haven't seen it actually done. I doubt the XMOS needs significantly more power to process all 8 channels but obviously you would need 3 additional KTBs (or other I2S DACs) which would require more power. That being said I imagine most folks would run each KTB off of a dedicated USB port, a powered USB hub seems like a good solution here to avoid wasting a bunch of USB ports.

Michael

andymok

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If you're playing 5.1 LPCM contents, basically any muliti-ch output DA/Interface will do the job

If it is DXD/DSD, you'll be looking at Merging Hapi + 1 DA card

If it is proprietary format (eg Dolby, DTS, Auro3D), there're no other ways but AVR or any licensed products

XLR/TRS to RCA is very simple, just lift the pin 3 and that's it.

Aerith Gainsborough

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Quite a few studio audio intefaces being mentioned might have to go for one of these rather than a dac, but heard the studio stuff is not really hifi, what do you think, do you have any opinions.

It's stuff that is used to PRODUCE the music you hear. I'd say is more than enough "hifi".
The problem lies more in the consumer formats: if you want to watch a BluRay, you will have difficulty with professional equipment, since they don't use HDMI, and as far as I can tell they don't like the proprietary consumer audio Formats either (DTS MA etc).

The easiest for you would be an AVR with pre-outs (e.g.: Denon), hook it up to your PC via HDMI and call it a day. The Arcam should have done that easily, so I don't know what the issue of your system is. Perhaps, as one user already suspected, you do indeed have ground loop issues.

OP
J

john111

Still no reply from motu after about a month of waiting and follow up emails. Might have to give up on this one.

What do you guys think: I purchased an asus stx 2 soundcard, which got rave reviews in the media but from my first hand experience looks like the reviews were brought and paid for.

Am thinking of a soundblaster x ae5 or 7 or 9, the 5 has got a good review here on this website but am a little nervous of soundcards after the £200 shelled out and disappointment of the asus. What do you think, go for the soundblaster which is a relatively cheap plug-in device at £150 and get the job over and done with, or go for a studio interface.

I've heard the soundblaster being compared against a £50 dac, so am not expecting much, or i would be prepared to be pay up to £500 for a studio interface, have you any experience or any studio interfaces you could recommend, something which definetly works under windows 10 unlike the motu. I need to transfer the sound out of the pc as lpcm via usb, it is 5.1 channel sound.

Many thanks.

dped90

If it is proprietary format (eg Dolby, DTS, Auro3D), there're no other ways but AVR or any licensed products
Not exactly. My plan is to load JRiver player with AnyDVD HD running in the background to decrypt my BDs. JRiver has loads of features, most of which are IR Remote accessible. As for a BD's DTS MA soundtrack, JRiver can decode it to PCM where I will output it via USB to feed this multichannel DAC. https://www.exasound.com/Products/e688-channelDAC.aspx The DACs and other circuitry in the e68 will very likely beat what's in the best of the AVRs.

andrewjohn007

Forum Donor
Not exactly. My plan is to load JRiver player with AnyDVD HD running in the background to decrypt my BDs. JRiver has loads of features, most of which are IR Remote accessible. As for a BD's DTS MA soundtrack, JRiver can decode it to PCM where I will output it via USB to feed this multichannel DAC. https://www.exasound.com/Products/e688-channelDAC.aspx The DACs and other circuitry in the e68 will very likely beat what's in the best of the AVRs.
As a Motu UltraLite Mk5 owner who is running JRiver 27 on a Mac, the most difficult aspect of trying to achieve 5.1/7.1 sound is channel mapping. If you haven't already researched the matter, please check out the JRiver forums on the matter and especially in regards to your particular DAC.

I posted a request for assistance on the JRiver forum many moons ago and have gotten 0 replies.

dped90

As a Motu UltraLite Mk5 owner who is running JRiver 27 on a Mac, the most difficult aspect of trying to achieve 5.1/7.1 sound is channel mapping. If you haven't already researched the matter, please check out the JRiver forums on the matter and especially in regards to your particular DAC.

I posted a request for assistance on the JRiver forum many moons ago and have gotten 0 replies.
Sorry you’re having those problems, and it’s shocking to hear that moderators had never replied. However, if it was that long ago it might pay to try again. Actually, I’ll be first using JRiver with a high performance stereo DAC before doing anything multichannel. But perhaps accurate surround sound channel mapping via JRiver is possibly somewhat OS and DAC dependent, though it certainly shouldn’t be. Search ( JRiver Exasound ) shows lots of step by step instructions to configure them and even DIRAC room correction to work “seamlessly”, as one user of the three claimed. This may sound trivial but I was also attracted to JRiver because it’s probably the only Windows player which one yabb.com forum member said lets you easily zoom on a decrypted BD with almost any MCE IR Remote. And if your remote has the up, down and sideways buttons JRiver lets you move any part of the zoomed image to center it on the screen. Even my Oppo 95 BD player can’t do that. Sadly, me and other members can’t seem to persuade developers to add a slow motion control. But maybe try posting again and doing that search. Meanwhile, here’s something for JRiver users on Mac. https://www.exasound.com/Blog/tabid...e-with-exaSound-DACs--Step-by-Step-Guide.aspx Oops, that’s for Exasound DACs. Maybe try searching for same with your MOTO DAC.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Channel-mapping is not a DAC-dependent issue aside from what a custom ASIO driver or Mac might impose. JRiver has basic mapping facilities.
That's terrible but, unfortunately, not surprising.

andrewjohn007

Forum Donor
Channel-mapping is not a DAC-dependent issue aside from what a custom ASIO driver or Mac might impose. JRiver has basic mapping facilities.

That's terrible but, unfortunately, not surprising.
Agreed as to basic mapping being available, however the mechanics, procedure, and methods aren't easy to decipher. JRiver put zero effort into instruction and instead relies the community to covey guidance - which is incredibly lazy and cheap for a paid product.

The UL Mk5 throws a wrench into the works as it's utilization of CueMix departs from the historical UI presentation of channel mapping.

Kal - I'm not telling you anything you don't know, as you've been a participant in several of those forum discussions.

Here's my post, which is now buried in the archives:

Sound Cards, DAC's, Receivers, Speakers, and Headphones / Mapping Channels Using MacAir And MOTU UltraLite-Mk5 (5.2)

« on: December 10, 2021, 03:32:41 pm »
I've reviewed the available information regarding mapping channels and it appears that I have my work cut out for me in regards to using JRiver on a Mac to map out multiple channels via the MOTU Mk5. At the moment, I am simply sending 2 channel stereo to the MOTU Mk5 and running three pair of stereo (6 channels) and two mono subs (2 channels). It sounds great, but I know that it's far from its potential. Optimally, I'd like to dial in a 5.2 surround set up.

Has anyone been down this road, using JRiver and an UltraLite, especially since the changes to the mapping CueMix?

Thank you for any assistance!

Drew

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Channel mapping on a Mac can be difficult to figure out. You've got all kinds of options in Audio Midi Setup app for a stand alone MC DAC but then add Motu's, Jriver's or Roon's mapping on top of that and it can make your head spin. Low level white noise and muting channels as you figure it out can be helpful.

edit: What you configure in Audio Midi Setup will dictate how your app will see it - 2ch, 5.1, 7.1

Last edited:

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Agreed as to basic mapping being available, however the mechanics, procedure, and methods aren't easy to decipher. JRiver put zero effort into instruction and instead relies the community to covey guidance - which is incredibly lazy and cheap for a paid product.

The UL Mk5 throws a wrench into the works as it's utilization of CueMix departs from the historical UI presentation of channel mapping.

Kal - I'm not telling you anything you don't know, as you've been a participant in several of those forum discussions.

Here's my post, which is now buried in the archives:

Sound Cards, DAC's, Receivers, Speakers, and Headphones / Mapping Channels Using MacAir And MOTU UltraLite-Mk5 (5.2)

« on: December 10, 2021, 03:32:41 pm »
I've reviewed the available information regarding mapping channels and it appears that I have my work cut out for me in regards to using JRiver on a Mac to map out multiple channels via the MOTU Mk5. At the moment, I am simply sending 2 channel stereo to the MOTU Mk5 and running three pair of stereo (6 channels) and two mono subs (2 channels). It sounds great, but I know that it's far from its potential. Optimally, I'd like to dial in a 5.2 surround set up.

Has anyone been down this road, using JRiver and an UltraLite, especially since the changes to the mapping CueMix?

Thank you for any assistance!

Drew

I don’t know much about implementing 7.1 systems but I have used a variety of multichannel DACs for DIY active speakers including the Ultralite Mk5.

What is the concern with channel mapping? In my experience all you need to do is map USB 1-2 to Out 1-2, USB 3-4 to Out 3-4, etc in CueMix and then assign channels in whatever software you are using (in your case J River). The analog outputs are the first 10 outputs.

Michael

Top Bottom