• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Multichannel audio interface with infra red (IR) remote for volume control

Music1969

Major Contributor
Hi all

I'm looking for an audio interface that features:

1. USB input

2. At least 6 channels balanced (XLR or TRS) analogue output (more is ok).

3. Infra red (IR) remote control, for adjusting volume from listening position 4 meters back. This is essential. I'm not within reach of volume physical knob.

4. Mic pre input (for speaker and room measurements).

Okto8 Pro 8-channel DAC (SINAD King!) supports #1-3 above but not #4.

Preference is to find something that ticks all 4 boxes but if I consider just #1-3, what other options are there besides Okto8 PRO ?

#3 is really important (for me). So can't compromise there.

This is for DIY DSP active speaker project.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

mccarty350

I am looking for the exact same animal. I'm guessing you might be using Audiolense; if you use a usb mic and a usb playback source it's a nightmare but if you're using the same device for all of the above it works great.

radix

Major Contributor
camilladsp + motu m6 + remote. But that's a fair bit of work to setup.

I assume the Flex 8 would not work (that's a 2x8 device).

charlielaub

You could combine any balanced USB audio interface you would like with a Pi 4 to process audio for your system. Then add IR remote capability using the FLIRC USB IR interface:

mccarty350

The M6 doesn't appear to have 8 channels as far as I can tell. Flex 8 I didn't know about but doesn't have a mic in.

Charlie, I've got an FLIRC USB implemented on my main system right now that adjusts preamp volume on that system.

At this stage in my office system which is my target I have a Sound Blaster X3 that DOES seem to have bluetooth volume control, mic in with phantom power, and will kick out 8 channels of unbalanced outputs. Perhaps I could hook up a USB A extension cable to my PC and run it to the FLIRC and position it 6 -10 feet away from me and then map the LFIRC keys to whatever keyboard keys control volume in whatever respective media player I'm using and that will work. Unfortunately it still seems like I'm going to need a dedicated 8 channel preamp to control volume with if this doesn't work out well.

radix

Major Contributor
The M6 doesn't appear to have 8 channels as far as I can tell. Flex 8 I didn't know about but doesn't have a mic in.

Charlie, I've got an FLIRC USB implemented on my main system right now that adjusts preamp volume on that system.

At this stage in my office system which is my target I have a Sound Blaster X3 that DOES seem to have bluetooth volume control, mic in with phantom power, and will kick out 8 channels of unbalanced outputs. Perhaps I could hook up a USB A extension cable to my PC and run it to the FLIRC and position it 6 -10 feet away from me and then map the LFIRC keys to whatever keyboard keys control volume in whatever respective media player I'm using and that will work. Unfortunately it still seems like I'm going to need a dedicated 8 channel preamp to control volume with if this doesn't work out well.
Ooops, that should have been motu ultralite-mk5. That has 2x main monitor + 8x line outs, so really 10 outs.

mccarty350

The ultralite MK5 will take IR remote volume control signals?

I bought an ultralite MK3 and had too many issues and returned it but if an MK5 is significantly better perhaps it's worth a go.

radix

Major Contributor
The ultralite MK5 will take IR remote volume control signals?

I bought an ultralite MK3 and had too many issues and returned it but if an MK5 is significantly better perhaps it's worth a go.

No remote on the mk5. You would need to use a FLIRC receiver on the PC driving the mk5.

I use the mk5 in studio and with camilladsp. There's a long thread on camilladsp + rpi4 and I think the mk5 is a common interface used there. It takes a little setup with the host software to get the routing and crossovers and such set, depending on what you want to do.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Mk5 is a big step up in analog performance compared to the Mk3. Mk5 is a great interface with a lot of versatility, it also has a master volume knob that can control all analog outputs. Certainly wish it had IR volume control but as mentioned the FLiRC works well if you are doing volume control on a computer.

Don’t forget the Okto dac8 pro has flexible clocking options compared to normal hifi DACs. If you have an interface that has a digital output (SPDIF or AES) you can clock the Okto from that interface in USB / AES mode. If your interface can be clocked by a digital input you can use the AES output of the Okto to clock the interface. This makes it pretty easy to make clock synced measurements with another cheaper interface.

Both are great options. I like the Okto more as it is lower noise, has built in IR volume control, a great display and trigger output. The Mk5 is great if you need enhanced I/O.

Michael

OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
One option is to have a good and cheaper interface for measurements, for room correction (that's the reason I need mic pre in post #1)

Then remove this interface and use something like Okto for the actual music playback (with IR remote). Obviously don't need a mic pre for general playback.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One option is to have a good and cheaper interface for measurements, for room correction (that's the reason I need mic pre in post #1)

Then remove this interface and use something like Okto for the actual music playback (with IR remote). Obviously don't need a mic pre for general playback.

This is a really good point.

Something like a Behringer UMC1820 or a Focusrite 18i20 2nd gen can be had at a very reasonable price (~300) and is more than adequate for measurements. I am personally not a big Topping supporter (I'd go Okto imo) but a Topping DM7 plus a Behringer UMC1820 is still less than an Okto dac8 pro. Use the Behringer for measurements and then the Topping for final implementation. The Topping is the cheapest, high performance 8 channel DAC that I am aware of that has IR volume control and display.

Michael

mccarty350

Has anyone had experience with a Motu 828X? It's shown up on local facebook marketplace, I wonder if it's a viable alternative to the MK5?

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Has anyone had experience with a Motu 828X? It's shown up on local facebook marketplace, I wonder if it's a viable alternative to the MK5?

Depends on what you are looking for. It has a volume knob that can act on all outputs like the Mk5. In general, analog performance of MOTU interfaces where they don't specify basic distortion / noise parameters is not SOTA and likely a big step down from the Mk5.

Michael

mccarty350

Roger that, so I view this as dated and Amir reviewed the MK5 I believe and it tested well is my recall. I'll pass on the local 828x. Thank for the feedback. I'm also looking at a Parasound P7 as a preamp but I can't tell for sure if I can leverage the subwoofer interface as an 8th channel that is untouched by processing. It has 8 channels of interfaces yet is branded as a P7 and is marketed as handling 7 channels and a sub. If I can repurpose the sub as a passthrough like any other interface then that is viable as well. I submitted an info request on their website yesterday.

Top Bottom