• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Multi-tone intermodulation distortion testing

Scott Wurcer has demonstrated a reverse test of this sort- he puts multiple narrow notches into a white noise signal. Very clever, IMO.
That's interesting. I've DIY'd a similar test myself, not knowing it existed already, to test IMD differences between hi-res and redbook audio. I created an audio file with alternating hi-res/lo-res and made several versions with different notches. The files were played back over speakers and recorded with a high quality microphone. The SNR in my setup (room) was insufficient to observe any differences in the notched bands, but I think the test is basically valid. A very quiet room might have helped :)

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
For stability impulse or step response testing is often used. A VNA (vector network analyzer, capable of showing magnitude and phase) can also show things like Nyquist plots, K-factors, and other measures of stability.

Two-tone (or multitone) testing provides more insight into both time and frequency domain performance and how/what nonlinearity terms are present. Classic distortion response in very predictable since there is a mathematical relationship between single-tone and two(multi)-tone distortion products and the order of the nonlinearity. Deviations can indicate power compression or other issues (than power compression, things like hystersis, ISI-type distortion, nonlinear frequency response, etc.) that are harder to see in a single-tone test.

Last edited:

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think it would be nice to see a two-tone (or multi-tone) graph for each of the devices @amirm tests here :)

KSTR

Major Contributor

Werner

The SNR in my setup (room) was insufficient to observe any differences in the notched bands, but I think the test is basically valid. A very quiet room might have helped :)

A bit OT, but you could try with headphones instead of speakers. The closer proximity of the microphone will help suppressing the room.

A bit OT, but you could try with headphones instead of speakers. The closer proximity of the microphone will help suppressing the room.
I've thought about that too, but it probably requires small (miniature?) microphones with inherent higher self noise levels. It also involves making a dyi coupler, something like a wooden plank with a hole. The question remains, if I can't measure distortion products in a deadly silent (24 bit dither) notched band under normal listening conditions, are we supposed to be able to hear them anyway ?
Good suggestion though, thanks !

solderdude

Grand Contributor
When someone has those notched files I can run it through some headphones and check for differences.
How wide are those notches ?

I usually make them quickly with iZotope RX, so it's easy to make any notch(es) you prefer. Any suggestions ?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
SF10 will also make them I reckon. Will try myself... thought files like this were already available.
Thinking of notching around problem areas and known good areas of headphones.

Top Bottom