• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Multi-room speakers powered by battery. And wither Play-Fi?

ripmixburn

Forum Donor
First post! Thanks in part to owning several Apple devices (AirPort Express, Apple TV), a Squeezebox Touch, and Amir's half-hearted endorsements of the PW Link and Klipsch Powergate on this site, I've accumulated a mish-mash multi-room capable devices. It's fun when it works, but my mix of platforms precludes me from getting multi-room in every room. I don't run a dedicated PC aside from a low-powered NAS where I run Squeezebox, but I'm wondering if there are any incremental moves I can make to improve my multi-room system, or am I looking at a larger commitment to make it happen.

My first-gen UE Boom finally bit the dust, and served its use well in the backyard and on-the-go. If there was a similar such battery-powered speaker that also supported Play-Fi, this would solve a real problem: play the same music in the backyard and the kitchen, while still working away from home.

There are not many devices that support a semi-open (non Sonos) multi-room audio format, Bluetooth streaming, and are rechargeable. I think only the Polk S2R and some Wren (RIP) products do that. I think I can tolerate the painful interface of Play-Fi for the rare times I need multi-room, though does it's poor reception signal its demise or will DTS work to improve it?

Are better solutions for me out there than Play-Fi? I have not tried Roon yet, mostly because I lack the server power, and my fidelity needs with multi-room engaged are low.

Top Bottom