• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MTM vs Bookshelf for Center Channel

Spennis

Erin did that in his review of the KEF R2c and you can check the data. Unsurpsisingly, the speaker does not change much in response; that´s the nature of concentric-coaxial drivers, as they provide a fairly symetric dispersion on the vertical and horizontal axis.

That said, I wonder how the Perlisten center speakers work. They provide the data, but I´d rather see tests done by an outise source. Their driver array with a vary small mid, tweeter and mid does seem to offer a quite different result than a conventional MTM. In fact, I´m quite surprised the Perlistens show a frequency graph so similar to a KEF...

I had a look, and I am not sure what comparison or data you are referring to that will help me answer my question?

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I had a look, and I am not sure what comparison or data you are referring to that will help me answer my question?
Sorry, I got your question wrong. Using a speaker horizontally when designed to be used vertically is possible, but it´s generally not a good idea as it will give you phase issues. In cases such as the LS50, due to it being a pure concentric array, it will stay quite similar, though.

Spennis

Sorry, I got your question wrong. Using a speaker horizontally when designed to be used vertically is possible, but it´s generally not a good idea as it will give you phase issues. In cases such as the LS50, due to it being a pure concentric array, it will stay quite similar, though.
In what way would you notice such "phase issues"?

Vacceo

Major Contributor
In what way would you notice such "phase issues"?
I tried doing what you ask on a pair of old Kef Cresta 10. The speakers sounded disjointed, as if two sources where coming from the same place at slightly different moments.

Spennis

I tried doing what you ask on a pair of old Kef Cresta 10. The speakers sounded disjointed, as if two sources where coming from the same place at slightly different moments.
That's discouraging... I'll have to give it a try myself.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
With something like an LS50, it will not change much as there is a single point of emission.

Top Bottom