• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MrSpeakers Mad Dog Pro Replacement/Upgrade?

5db3m

Hi,

My favorite daily driver MrSpeakers Mad Dog Pro headphones have stopped working and it is unlikely that I will be able to get it repaired. I would like suggestions from people that have experienced the Mad Dog Pro headphones for them self. They are a heavily modified version of the Fostex T50rp.

A while back I ordered the MrSpeakers AEON headphones as an upgrade but did not like them much at all. They sounded flat and lacked detail compared to the Mad Dog Pro. The simplest way to explain it was that the Mad Dog Pro are fun headphones with good details being able to hear small fast past details from FPS games. Movies had decent bass compared to most headphones I have listened to in the past. I want to make sure I am getting a large upgrade to the Mad Dog Pros then I don’t feel disappointed in the new order. I enjoyed the thick leather pads and could have the headphones on all day without any issues. As they will be my daily driver they will be used for mixed workload including gaming, music and movies.

My current source is a Sennheiser DAC with Home Theatre Amplifier that performs better than my backup unit (Micro iDSD Black Label by iFi audio). Budget would ideally be under 1K but willing to go up to 2K if the sound improvements are worth it. I require some isolation but not anything like active noise cancellation. Just from PC Fans, GPU, background sounds, etc as I don’t like to hear when listening. I selected the tag for "closed back" but not limited to just closed back.

Based on some research the Modhouseaudio Argon Mk3 are the closest currently available headsets but concerned this could provide a less fun audio profile compared to the mad dog pros. Danclark Audio closest option right now seems to be the ETHER C Flow but concerned after the poor experience with the AEON model. Thank you all in advance, I do appreciate the help as I cant really listen to any decent options locally.

What suggestions do you have and why?

paudio

I haven't heard them but would like to. I haven't heard anything Fostex. Did you end up fixing your Mad Dogs?

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've had a few TRP 3 both stock and modified, but not the Mad Dog. Also had both open and closed Dan Clark Aeon, but the first versions not the new 2nd ones. Also had most of the Planars out there. The Arya Stealth is the standout for me. Much better than the forward upper mids in the original. Epic for FPS gaming and never wanted to equalize for music. They're also a lot more confidence inspiring with build quality. I wish all Hifimans felt that sturdy.
Every time I spent a day with them and switched to anything else, it felt like a major letdown. Best reason to get one.

Top Bottom