• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MQA Sounds Really Good!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron Party

CPH (Chief Prog Head)
And as I've posted before, I have three copies of my entire music collection which now is in excess of 21K titles. One NAS plus two sets of JBODs. I've got my entire music collection in my office and at home. There's no way in he!! I'd want to be in a position to have to re-rip in the event of a lightning strike or theft... I'd go 100% streaming in that situation.

And, BTW, streaming is very important. Failure to do so can cause serious physiological harm. After all, beer is just a rental.

Wombat

Master Contributor
No, it's not.

I have redundant backups of the NAS in both the cloud and a monthly archive in the fire safe.

If my house burns down (which would destroy CDs, too), the copy in the fire safe might survive, but even if not, I have the copy in the cloud

If the copy in the cloud dies, I have the copy in the fire safe.

I have to have my house burn down *and* have the cloud have data failure to lose it all.

You forgot about Nukes and Apocalypse. :facepalm:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
And as I've posted before, I have three copies of my entire music collection which now is in excess of 21K titles. One NAS plus two sets of JBODs. I've got my entire music collection in my office and at home. There's no way in he!! I'd want to be in a position to have to re-rip in the event of a lightning strike or theft... I'd go 100% streaming in that situation.

And, BTW, streaming is very important. Failure to do so can cause serious physiological harm. After all, beer is just a rental.
Mr. Party, I do believe you are the KING of ASR stored files! I'm not even close, but coming up fast. LOL

Xyzzy

you actually listened !!! wow... you are my hero thus far on this vacuous forum that I am perusing thru. Yes, all dacs can sound different and MQA is an improvement.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
you actually listened !!! wow... you are my hero thus far on this vacuous forum that I am perusing thru. Yes, all dacs can sound different and MQA is an improvement.
WHATTT. We all listen, even much more than most. We don't have to sit around trying to hear the sound of cables and wires, dacs and amps, magic dots and grounding boxes. The measurements have separated out the good from the not so good, so we can actually just sit down and listen to MUSIC ! ;)

Last edited:
OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor

Perhaps you should re-read my opening post again.

There is a caveat that you seem to have missed.

Wombat

Master Contributor

Thankfully not as vacuous as most other audio forums, even now when ASR is attracting speculative visiting members. More tolerant management, too. :)

P.S. I hope your interpretation of peruse is the attentive one. ;)

Last edited:

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I always enjoy it when someone pops up on multiple threads and helps us see the error of our ways. Keep up the good work!

witchdoctor

I was checking out Red Rose Speedway by Paul McCartney on Tidal Masters (MQA) last night. OMG, "Live and Let Die" sounded so in your face like you are standing in the studio as well as the song "My Love". Paul's new album Paul III drops today, looking forward to checking it out.
https://www.paulmccartney.com/news-blogs/news

live and let die.jpg

witchdoctor

For those of you inclined when playing a track on Tidal you see a small "d" at the top (discover?) when you click it you get a list of similar tracks and there are SOOOO many new Masters tracks after the Warner drop and they just pop up. Songs I haven't heard in years remastered is a great way to enjoy.

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I was checking out Red Rose Speedway by Paul McCartney on Tidal Masters (MQA) last night. OMG, "Live and Let Die" sounded so in your face like you are standing in the studio as well as the song "My Love". Paul's new album Paul III drops today, looking forward to checking it out.
https://www.paulmccartney.com/news-blogs/news

View attachment 99958
I gave McCartney III a quick listen late last night (well, early this morning), UK time. Really enjoyed it, but I had downed a few beers prior to the listen. :)

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Mr. Party, I do believe you are the KING of ASR stored files! I'm not even close, but coming up fast. LOL

Since it appears awards are being handed out and i dont want to be out of the running, Is that 21k songs or 21k albums? if its albums, i bow my head in respect

mocenigo

Major Contributor

I am at 24.314 albums, also everything on three copies (of which two are JBODs).

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I am at 24.314 albums, also everything on three copies (of which two are JBODs).

Remember gentlemen, lossy files of any type do not qualify.
Only lossless types like flac and better can be included in the count.

digicidal

Major Contributor
I feel so inadequate... :oops:
That helps some... since that's all I have (FLAC or ALAC) - unfortunately I'm about 23K albums shy of being a contender. On the upside... I have about 3 years of life spent doing something other than ripping CD's in order to compete... so I'm good with that.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So if you listen to two complete albums every single day, you'll have heard all of them once just short of 32 years from now. At least if they are digital files it isn't like friends I had with that many LP records. Not a huge physical storage problem.

mocenigo

Major Contributor

I think I have less than 1000 300 (EDIT: I checked with a script) albums in a lossy format. I hate them, almost everything I have has either been ripped from a CD/DVD/DVDA/BD/BDPA/SACD or bought as a download, but I do have a few mp3 I got because there was no alternative…

So 23K+ 24K+

Also, to nitpick: lossless formats are all equal from the point of view of information context (so “FLAC or better” makes little sense). Some compress more, other decompress faster. I just convert everything to ALAC, because of the lightweight decompression.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom