• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MQA Sounds Really Good!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
"Capitalism is an economic system based on the private ownership of the means of production and their operation for profit."

Let this one sink in.

Ok...now what?
Am I supposed to have some kind of epiphany making me want to give my business to the poor? You know, now that the decades of risk, debt, difficult decisions and 80 hour weeks are paying off?

Maybe it needs to sink in more...

Ro808

Here's another one to chew on:
"Money makes the world go round."

A few years ago Amir published an interesting article about practices of American lawfirms on another forum.
You may want to look it up to get a clue of what I am talking about.

So much for being OT.

Around 2004, when I ditched traditional media in favor of digital, I started researching Hi-Res audio.
In short, this included reading numerous papers on the subject, studying Recording engineering, comparison of 16/44 audio
to Hi-Res equivalents etc.
My conclusion was (and still is) that Hi-Res audio is superior... on paper.
In practice the differences are often negligible, provided the source material has been recorded, mixed and mastered properly.

Even though prices of storage and high-end audio (production) gear have dropped over the last 20 years, it's still quite expensive to record and produce audio in Hi-Res formats. Add this to the fact that the number of high-end studios - able to afford said gear - decreased, as a result of the converging media landscape.
Obviously, the same applies to distribution and local storage of the respective media.
My personal media library contains around 20 TB of digital music, mostly FLAC files. The same library in uncompressed DSD format would require approximately 8-10 times extra storage capacity, depending on sampling frequency/quantification.

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
"Capitalism is an economic system based on the private ownership of the means of production and their operation for profit."

"In every language, the first word after "Mama!" that every kid learns to say is "Mine!".

A system that doesn't allow ownership, that doesn't allow you to say "Mine!" when you grow up, has -- to put it mildly -- a fatal design flaw."

KozmoNaut

Lots of people here confusing private ownership and personal property.

Funnily enough, every experience I've had with kids is that they're very enthusiastic about fairness and sharing everything in equal amounts, everyone gets the same number of candies and so forth. The egoism only comes later, suggesting that it's learned behavior from adults.

Last edited:

Ro808

It helps to have a background in economic sciences and not to be inhibited by personal (and/or political) circumstances in order to be able to zoom out.

If you think this implies financial autonomy, you're on the wrong track.

Last edited:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
It helps to have a background in economic sciences and not to be inhibited by personal (and/or political) circumstances in order to be able to zoom out.

My masters in economics isn't helping you out so far... I still seem to want to keep my business...

Ro808

Additionally, attending master classes by a former Prime Minister / Minister of Economic Affairs, and experience with people of all walks of life, notably those of the supra-conglomerate class, broadens your mind.

Last edited:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Additionally, attending master classes from a former Prime Minister / Minister of Economic Affairs, and experience with people of all walks of life, notably of the supra-conglomerate class, broadens your mind.

Got it now...
I simply live, was educated, and built my business(es) in the very real world. I couldn't possibly fathom the view from on high...where mundane things like reality don't get in the way...

Back to your wokeness.

I'll go back to hiring more people.

Ro808

My ex-girlfriend used to listen to Jay-Z, when she was still a little girl.

As a kid, I listened to N.W.A.

What about Tidal? Do you want an estimate of the expected end-of-life phase?

Last edited:

dmac6419

Major Contributor

I would like an expected end-of-life phase for Qobuz and Deezer and all the rest.

Ro808

There's no future for any of these paid services in the long run, at least not in their current form.

Mind the use of the word 'Capitalism' in this article.
To complete the party, Jay-Z is present again.

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The real intent of Meridian and the record labels supporting it, is to lock up music with DRM. Want to play the music you paid for in your car? Pay more.

Want to play the music you paid for while out walking? Pay more.

Want to play the music you paid for in kitchen, even? Pay more.

I see what you did there. I'm not massively keen on having to buy special kit with MQA capabilities to replay MQA content at "full" resolution. But good luck trying to play DSD files or very high PCM on your kitchen stereo at full res too.

The MQA file you buy or stream will play as "lossless"/ CD quality on anything that can handle FLAC. Just not at 24/192 or whatever.

Ro808

MQA is like paying extra for breathing a 'special kind of air', with - if you're lucky - a hint of Jay-Z's odour.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom