• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MQA Sounds Really Good!

Status
Not open for further replies.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I'm listening to this MQA (remastered) stream from Tidal via Roon and it sounds really good.

screen-capture.png

But the Devialet doesn't decode MQA at all....but Roon does...sort of?

screen-capture-1.png

So it's half decoded?

I guess the sound I like must all be due to the remastering since the Devialet just sees it as regular PCM.

Or am I wrong?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Are you sure about that?

That seems to contradict what the UI says, where it says "MQA Core Decoder to 96 khz".
That says the same thing I said. :)

The file you played was at 48 kHz/flac. MQA decoding expanded this to 96 kHz. This is what Roon did and what MQA authorizes software decoders to do.

Then there is a flag that says the original was at 192 kHz so the DAC needs to double the sample rate/apply the MQA filter. This part is left to external DAC. No extra detail is filled in as a result of upsampling to 192 kHz. The "heavy lifting" and decoding of MQA was in the 96 kHz unfold that Roon performed.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor

The file you played was at 48 kHz/flac. MQA decoding expanded this to 96 kHz. This is what Roon did and what MQA authorizes software decoders to do.

Then there is a flag that says the original was at 192 kHz so the DAC needs to double the sample rate/apply the MQA filter. This part is left to external DAC. No extra detail is filled in as a result of upsampling to 192 kHz. The "heavy lifting" and decoding of MQA was in the 96 kHz unfold that Roon performed.

So complicated.

So...

How would that be better than Roon just doing 2x upsampling of a regular 48 kHz to 96kHz?

Or maybe it isn't?

In any case, it sounds nice.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
How would that be better than Roon just doing 2x upsampling of a regular 48 kHz to 96kHz?
There would be no spectral content above 24 kHz in that scenario. With MQA there is.

Victoria

Uhhh... not to derail the thread: but why does this seem needlessly complex? What's wrong with just outputting 24/48 PCM WAV?

I think I really ought to read up on this whole arcane MQA thing one day because I really don't get it; MQA has always come across to me as a solution looking for a non-existent problem and I cannot help but feel that the more complex the decoding stack the higher the likelihood of someone unintentionally effing something up along the way.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I'm listening to this MQA (remastered) stream from Tidal via Roon and it sounds really good.

View attachment 36718

But the Devialet doesn't decode MQA at all....but Roon does...sort of?

View attachment 36719

So it's half decoded?

I guess the sound I like must all be due to the remastering since the Devialet just sees it as regular PCM.

Or am I wrong?
Bob's touched you deeply..

mi-fu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Actually I kinda wonder if there is any audible difference between software decoded MQA (like Roon) and hardware decoded DAC?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Actually I kinda wonder if there is any audible difference between software decoded MQA (like Roon) and hardware decoded DAC?
I keep wanting to test this but can't find the time....

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Okay.

But the question was is it better?

Given people can't hear above 20 kHz. Or 16 kHz in my case.
You can turn off the MQA decode in roon and send the 48/24 file out, so you are free to compare. You might, but probably won't notice a slightly lower noise floor with the decode on.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Probably not, and if there is, and the test was done properly, my money is on the software sounding better, as it does not use a dodgy upsampler that fakes extra high frequency info.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Do we have a budding songwriter who can do an MQA parody to the tune of YMCA? ;)

Why MQA ……….. .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom