• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MQA & External DAC

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The only DAC in the world right now that can do the second unfold via coax is Gustard X16. Which is currently not released yet.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If you’re going to bypass both the MQA decoder and the DAC in the Node, you might consider a Raspberry Pi streamer instead and save yourself a few hundred dollars.

Until Volumio supports Tidal Connect, I don’t see how a raspberry pi would be better for him in anyway than a Node.

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Until Volumio supports Tidal Connect, I don’t see how a raspberry pi would be better for him in anyway than a Node.
Could he not use Mconnect to Volumio UPnP renderer to full MQA DAC? Or even just Volumio's own UI (running MyVolumio), without the need for UPnP?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Could he not use Mconnect to Volumio UPnP renderer to full MQA DAC? Or even just Volumio's own UI (running MyVolumio), without the need for UPnP?

He could, but that would not be a more fluid experience than Tidal connect on the node.

The OP is obviously not inhibited by price.

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
He could, but that would not be a more fluid experience than Tidal connect on the node.

Especially the Volumio UI. It‘s Tidal integration is very poor.

madwyn

Couldn’t find any available MQA encoder, anyone can help?

Last edited:

charleski

Major Contributor
Couldn’t find any available MQA encoder, anyone can help?
It’s a proprietary codec, so if you want to produce MQA files you have to go through a licensee.

But it looks like @mansr did some work on reverse-engineering it a while ago and you can find his code here. Obviously you’d need to compile it to get something useful.

madwyn

It’s a proprietary codec, so if you want to produce MQA files you have to go through a licensee.

But it looks like @mansr did some work on reverse-engineering it a while ago and you can find his code here. Obviously you’d need to compile it to get something useful.
Thanks for pointing to the right direction.

I will give it a try later.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for pointing to the right direction.

I will give it a try later.
I would hazard a guess if you want to do more than experiment with the end files yourself and instead distribute content via Tidal you will still have to go via a licensed converter/ publisher- see the now infamous Goldenone experiment with putting some MQA content on Tidal.

Top Bottom