• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MQA, DSP and "sound quality"

Burning Sounds

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yes, I know - I have a MiniDSP 2x8 board (which is really a 4x10 - don't ask :)) - at the end of the day you weren't using the LX521 so it's not important.

Rodney Gold

Pirad, Well , dirac via minidsp is $900 and a new trinnov is around $10k so 50 to 100x the price is a bit exaggerated...however the eu 3600 I paid for my pre owned unit is not a huge amount compared to system price or what I spent re doing/treating my room.
As per Dallas's post re dirac validation:

Graphs don't totally explain how a system sounds. They are only tools to demonstrate and help to solve room acoustics problems and give broad acoustic trends.

Dallas I am wondering about that 18 point measurement .. I never ran dirac on a single speaker , its always been a stereo pair .. for every measurement it emits 3 tones , L, R and then left again?

OP
pirad

pirad

But the minidsp has both digital and analogue stereo inputs, only
outputs are 8 analogue +2 digital ??
Pirad, Well , dirac via minidsp is $900 and a new trinnov is around $10k so 50 to 100x the price is a bit exaggerated...however the eu 3600 I paid for my pre owned unit is not a huge amount compared to system price or what I spent re doing/treating my room.
As per Dallas's post re dirac validation:

Graphs don't totally explain how a system sounds. They are only tools to demonstrate and help to solve room acoustics problems and give broad acoustic trends.

Dallas I am wondering about that 18 point measurement .. I never ran dirac on a single speaker , its always been a stereo pair .. for every measurement it emits 3 tones , L, R and then left again?
I was thinking more like Trinnov Altitude32 for 20k and Dirac app on PC for 300. But the best spent money is room acoustics IMHO, I agree with you. Here no questions asked.

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
I revisited Dirac after more than a year and dug up these:

Dirac manual page 17
Using the microphone positions indicated by the Dirac Live Calibration Tool™ will generally give you consistent results.
However, the microphone positions are not required to be in exactly these positions - if your listening environment looks different then
you may use a different set of microphone positions. Taking all measurements close to the sweet spot will generally not give optimum
performance because the microphone positions need some spread in order to acquire enough acoustical information about the room.

Elsewhere there is information that even the number of nine mic positions is "typical" or "approximate" (marked with tilde) . Dirac demands
only one must-do: the central position first measurement.
View attachment 12327

Dirac FAQ
3.6. Why is there no validation feature?
The predicted response may look too good to be true, but it is important to interpret the curves in the right way; the prediction curves show the response in exactly the point each curve is based on.
In theory the curve can be totally different just a small distance away from it, but in practice this is rarely the case. In order to avoid optimizing the filter for a really small area at the expense of the actual listening area, multiple measurements are used, taken in different points. Their average is the basis for the filter calculations. Together with the spatial robustness of the Dirac Live room correction technology this will result in a filter that sounds good in a large area. However, for a measurement to produce the predicted curve the microphone need to be in the exactly same position, otherwise the result will just be close to the prediction. It is also important to compare a validation measurement to the curve that corresponds to that measurement position and not the average curve.
If you want to measure the result of the filter you can either use some application such as HOLMImpulse, or you can select the Dirac Audio Processor as the output device on the sound setup page. If this method is selected it is very important to note that the Dirac Live Calibration Tool will disable filtering in the Dirac Audio Processor before each measurement, and you will have to enable it manually real quick. The reason the Dirac Live Calibration Tool disables filtering is that most measurements will not be for validation but for room analysis, and in this case any filtering has to be disabled.

It's not hard to see some wishy-washy talk and contradictions in the above. The conclusion (in blue) is that you can measure the calibrated curve, even with Dirac -- "if you want".
My take is Dirac hopes to avoid the situation where amateur users (vast majority of applications) accuse them of misrepresenting the filter effects shown in the simulated curve.
It would not be difficult to introduce simple "filter validation" function. Instead they direct to outside apps or a workaround which is not in the manual. These solutions are
definitely not for amateurs, and the assumption is the advanced users know what they are doing and understand how it all works.
Based on my understanding of room acoustics, I am not seeing the contradictions that apparently you do. Their explanation makes perfect sense.

Offhand, I am not aware of any consumer grade EQ tools which employ spatial averaging and which also provide some precise mechanism for measuring spatially averaged, post-calibration filter response as part of the same tool. I think Dirac outlines some of the valid reasons underlying this in the above.

It also goes to the target market philosophy of keeping an EQ package user interface simple and user friendly if it is intended for less sophisticated consumers, rather than professionals or sophisticated hobbyists. Dirac is not by design intending to be an Acourate, Audiolense, etc., and Dirac much prefers an important difference in technical approach to those by using multipoint averaging. Overloading it with extra built-in features, such as post calibration measurement which most users do not want or feel they need, would overcomplicate it. It would also add to development cost and therefore to the price the consumer or licensee must pay. There may also be resource limitations in DSP processing hardware on miniDSP, AVRs, prepros, etc. making post calibration measurement difficult to implement in those targeted components.

So, Dirac is what it is, subject to its choice of product philosophy. If one wants multipoint spatial averaging in both the calibration and also post-calibration measurements, I do not know where one finds it, even on EQ packages solely designed for a higher resource PC processor, other than by using workarounds such as suggested by Dirac.

I am hazy on the details, but Audyssey has a Professional-grade product, not to be confused with Audyssey Pro, a largely defunct PC-based calibration tool I once used awhile ago. From photos, the newer Professional tool uses a fixed array of of many, multiple mikes across a long boom, which apparently is not moved during calibration. It is possible, though I do not know for sure, that it might also provide precise post calibration, spatially averaged measurement.

Trinnov, which is also professional grade, uses its own closely spaced array of 4 mikes. Possibly, it also provides for post calibration measurement capability without moving the mike array, But, again, I do not know.

There is no similar measurement problem due to spatial averaging with EQ tools that rely entirely on single point response. One can just leave the measurement mike untouched for the before/after measurements and employ different single point measurement suites, such as REW. I believe @RayDunzl and @dallasjustice now operate this way.

Arguments about the techical advantages of single point vs. multi point spatially averaged will no doubt go on, inconclusively. Take your pick. But, single point EQ tools are definitely preferable if accurate post calibration measurement is important to you.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Arguments about the techical advantages of single point vs. multi point spatially averaged will no doubt go on, inconclusively.

I'll take the "make one spot as good as you can" idea, since it doesn't seem to cause any noticeable additional disruption to other listening locations.

OP
pirad

pirad

single point- for one eared audiophiles in anechoic chambers
multi point- getting closer to psychoacoustic models of hearing
sound field measurements with linear robots- my next project;)

Last edited:

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
sound field measurements with linear robots- my next project
Well, neither is perfect. Nothing is. So, choose the one that makes the most sense to you. Or, do neither, and just passively treat. But, even to do that right, you gotta measure. Again, that requires a choice, though, single point or multipoint spatially averaged.

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
Don’t believe the multi-point hype. Everyone has their way of doing it. Only through real loopback measurements can you know what you are getting. I’ve measured loopbacks of Dirac, Acourate and Audiolense. They are all valid and do what they say they do. In addition, @mitchco demonstrates that single point effectively corrects the entire listening area consonant with target. He shows this in his book.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
In addition, @mitchco demonstrates that single point effectively corrects the entire listening area consonant with target. He shows this in his book.
Do I have to read a whole book? Can't you summarize into a paragraph or two?
Say @mitchco , how about a movie, including a good looking young women with big breasts and a nice butt?

Last edited:

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Multi-point IME provides an average response across an area that may be better than a single-point measurement. Even a small local measurement group can help obviate the impact of HF comb filtering (etc.) that might otherwise jack up the response (to use a technical term ;) ).

Dirac Live allows you to perform as many or as few measurement points as you wish, and choose the frequency range over which correction can be applied. I have heard great things about Trinnov and some other systems, but have not heard them (or not long enough to say anything competent, not that I let that stop me), and they are out of my budget.

I have always had mixed feelings about multi-point, especially since it was usually just me and my room is highly damped, but going back and forth have (for now) decided the advantages of multi-point outweigh the disadvantages.

mitchco

Audio Company
First start with a loudspeaker that has good constant or controlled directivity. Folks like Earl Geddes using polar maps or Harman with spinoramas show off axis response is just as important as on axis response. Said another way, the measured on-axis response will be the same or similar as one moves off axis due to the “constant” directivity design.

So if I equalize the on-axis response, then as I measure off-axis, like moving across the couch area, the response will be near identical or down a dB or two in level, but will have the same curve. This is how one gets uniform high frequency response across the listening area, by using a constant directivity loudspeaker. Whether it is a waveguide used on the M2 or my 4722’s or dome/waveguide combo like the Salon2, the proof is in the polars or spinoramas as these measure constant directivity from around 500 Hz or so on up.

Low frequency correction is a different story where room modes come into play. Depending on the DSP software used, some require multiple measures and then average to not over correct, others use a single measurement and apply a psychoacoustic filter to not over correct.

DSP software like Acourate and Audiolense corrects the “envelope” response in the low end, rather than taking multiple measurements and then average the deep nulls, to achieve more or less the same result with one measure as opposed to multiple measurements. If you move the measurement microphone around and take measures, you can see the deep nulls, but occurring at slightly adjacent frequencies due to the fact the microphone position has moved. However, if you average the measures, you will get additions and cancellations, (i.e. varying degrees of in/out phase based on mic positions) and the averaged result is similar to the envelope response.

Check out these Acourate and Audiolense examples of this:

Acourate envelope response.JPG

Audiolense envelope response.JPG

Note the envelope response does not follow the huge dips (i.e. nulls). This is the trick, the psychoacoustic filtering is more or less the same as if one takes multiple measures that are averaged. I have tried this experiment a few times to confirm and an upcoming article at CA will show the detail that I can't jam in a forum response. Besides @Sal1950 said only a few paragraphs and wants ... :)

So this is how one gets uniform low frequency response across the listening area, coupled with constant directivity loudspeakers, achieves uniform high frequency response across the listening area. This even works with subs which will be shown in a CA article in a week or two...

There is more to say about the high frequency envelope, and where it sits in the comb filter, but maybe another time.

Last edited:

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
Don’t believe the multi-point hype. Everyone has their way of doing it. Only through real loopback measurements can you know what you are getting. I’ve measured loopbacks of Dirac, Acourate and Audiolense. They are all valid and do what they say they do. In addition, @mitchco demonstrates that single point effectively corrects the entire listening area consonant with target. He shows this in his book.
I don't think it is simply hype at all. There are two divergent schools of thought in a very complex discipline, not uncommon. Neither side has a "killer" argument that simply KOs the other side.

As a practical matter, for a typical audiophile sitting alone in the sweet spot in front of his stereo, there might not be much difference. OTOH, for a Mch home theater, particularly one with multiple seating rows, I would expect multi point to provide a better calibration on average over a wider area, though perhaps not as good in the sweet spot as single point. It seems clear enough that most available multipoint tools were designed with home theater applications in mind. And, true professional tools used in auditoria or larger spaces are pretty much all multipoint by necessity and well established acoustical best practices.

hvbias

Sure, happy to help if I can. I have a Word file somewhere with the instructions for the LX521 EQ/x-over settings, so I'll need to take out the specific LX521 information and also make sure it makes sense as the original was in German. I'll PM you in a couple of days if that's OK.

Would definitely like to read that, thanks!

Check out these Acourate and Audiolense examples of this:

Will you be adding an Audiolense write up to your next edition of your ebook?

Do you think one sounds better than the other? Curious since my use will be similar to yours; active crossovers, but with a constant directivity mid/treble horn the natural fall off of the large format compression driver/horn means there will be little to no correction needed there.

sound field measurements with linear robots- my next project;)

Level 4... with AI? :D

I for one welcome our new AI overlords.

XElUyil.jpg

Last edited:
OP
pirad

pirad

ASIAN- Airborne Swarm of Intelligent Audio Nanites
readyplayerone.jpg

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    855.9 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:

Rod

ASIAN- Airborne Swarm of Intelligent Audio Nanites View attachment 12358
I can now imagine a swarm of nano-robots with there own little speakers positioned around my head giving me the illusion of sitting in the middle of a symphony orchestra. I say bring it on.

OP
pirad

pirad

I can now imagine a swarm of nano-robots with there own little speakers positioned around my head giving me the illusion of sitting in the middle of a symphony orchestra. I say bring it on.
I am a bit short of venture capital, but the thing is doable.

Rod

Then add a VR headset with a video of the concert that tracks the head, body movements that would change the audio positioning of the source sound(because there nano flying robots that can you know fly)as you move around and the illusion would be complete.
There you go Venture Capitalist, time to go to work.

Rod

Sounds better than using them to blow shit up like what I am reading about robot swarms in tech sites. /s

Last edited:
OP
pirad

pirad

VR is old school, Lightfield manipulation is in. Femto machines are in prototypes.

Rod

Sitting here thinking about it, I am wondering if this would work through current VR headsets. I know that in gaming it is done, but audio positioning through software might not be very good for music. A video of a concert that you can walk around on the stage for example would be cool.

Top Bottom