• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MQA Deep Dive - I published music on tidal to test MQA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burning Sounds

Addicted to Fun and Learning

KeenObserver

They don't. It is standard practice for these start ups to give stock to content owners. It greases the skids, gets you an announcement and a few positive nods. The list of companies who have gone out of business despite such overtures is miles long. The content owners will NOT come to your rescue they day you go under. They have their business model and chase that. And that business model for record labels is that they take money and hand you content. They don't dictate formats.

Of course they dictate formats.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I post here because I just can't stand the improper arguments being thrown around. It is that which interests me to post. Not because I care about MQA one bit.[/QUOTE said:
Finally ... a position
Thank you.

KeenObserver

The "expectation" has limited life. After you go through a few rounds, they cut their losses and move on. Nothing like market reality to demonstrate if the original business plan was right or not. With 7 years gone by, the caught fish will start to stink at some point.....

If they were going to cut their losses, would Warner have bothered converting their material to MQA?

jensgk

Forum Donor
It deals with specious arguments you all make. Stop saying you are outraged by this and that about MQA and in the next breath play a Blu-ray disc or reach for you iphone.

Now, maybe you say your arguments don't need to be consistent or logical in which case, sure, we can just ignore them all....
Oh, really.

I am not outraged by Blu-ray or my iPhone. I am outraged by MQA. That is within both logic and consistency.
You are so far out in your argumentation at the moment.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@amirm, perhaps you can answer some simple questions.
  • Is it possible for an MQA 44.1 kHz 16 bit file to deliver CD quality Redbook audio?
  • Is it possible for a user to decode MQA to obtain the best dynamic range and choose your an alternate reconstruction filter?
  • Has anyone been able to prove that Temporal Blur is a problem and the MQA solution is audible, say in a blind test?
  • What exactly does the consumer, with bandwidth enough to stream Netflix, get out MQA?
- Rich

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The "expectation" has limited life. After you go through a few rounds, they cut their losses and move on. Nothing like market reality to demonstrate if the original business plan was right or not. With 7 years gone by, the caught fish will start to stink at some point.....

Once again, I and others, hope you are right, we have been dealing with the stench long enough.

- Rich

dmac6419

Major Contributor
View attachment 126852

Qobuz has two versions of Studio Premier. ANNUAL paid in advance and MONTLY also paid in advance.
All streaming plans seem to have advance payment in common whether daily, monthly, weekly, annually, multi-year, or lifetime.
Qobuz has made it plans and pricing directly available, unlike Tidal that seems to require a trial subscription.

I am certain that Roon lifetime plan was paid for in advance :p

- Rich
That's what I said I think?

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@amirm, clearly you think many of us are hypocritical inconsistent due to liking BD, UHD, Dolby and DTS products but that is really beside the point.

What cannot be reconciled are measurements like this:
MQA Tested Part 2: Into the Fold | Stereophile.com
MQANoise.jpg

In this example, the true master is DXD and the MQA encoding introduces noise in the audible and ultrasonic frequencies.
If the MQA (turquoise) was a DAC, it would be called out for its lack of design hygiene.
Would its SINAD be even 96 dB?
The point would be made the $100 desktop DACs can outperform this.

The failure to address posts like these on the merits is what seems inconsistent and somewhat illogical.

- Rich

Last edited:

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's what I said I think?
I am not following you at all.
All subscriptions are prepaid and the prices are reduced with the term. So?

- Rich

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

ebslo

Forum Donor
Jajaja good luck...
Right. There has been a pattern used repeatedly by very knowledgeable people who appear to be trying to downplay the degradation of the 16-bit format It goes like this:
1. A post mentions loss of bits, resolution, or quality in the 16-bit MQA format.
2. The MQA apologist replies with a forceful rebuttal, sometimes including technical details of the 24-bit format but being very careful not to directly state that the rebuttal applies to the 16-bit format.
3. When the rebuttal is questioned by people who reasonably assume it applied to the 16-bit format previously under discussion, the apologist indignantly declares that they said no such thing about the 16-bit format, which is technically true.

Given the technical knowledge and writing acumen of those using this pattern, it is hard to see it as an innocent miscommunication. However, in an attempt to give benefit of the doubt, I offer the opportunity to clarify such statements. None have yet taken that opportunity.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Of course I do. Funny thing is that it was praised whereas MQA is not by the same person. The irony and inconsistency is you all's, not mine.

Ok give me, MLP for Hi-Res music up to 192kHz/24 bit. Leave every last bit intact.
Make a codec and license it. Allow it to be decoded to LPCM and processesed with REQ/PEQ/any F'ing EQ, and any reconstruction filter, then it is the same as Dolby and DTS.

That is what consistency looks like.
MQA degrades and restricts after I pay for it. I don't understand what is remotely complicated about it.

Also, if you have time, please respond to these posts:

(2) MQA Deep Dive - I published music on tidal to test MQA | Page 90 | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

(2) MQA Deep Dive - I published music on tidal to test MQA | Page 90 | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

Thanks,

Rich

jensgk

Forum Donor
I bought this album on Bandcamp: Kronos Quartet - Terry Riley- Sun Rings
I wanted the Flac version and downloaded it, it turns out it was 48/24 MQA files.
Since I would rather have pure 48/24 Flac files, I then downloaded the Wav files instead, thinking I could convert them to pure Flac.
So that is what I did. It then turns out that the converted Wav-files were also MQA, so the MQA was embedded in the Wav-files.
In this case I was not warned about getting MQA, and could not avoid it beforehand.
Sure, I expected 44.1/16 files, but got 48/24 MQA instead, but I really do not want MQA...

dmac6419

Major Contributor
I am not following you at all.
All subscriptions are prepaid and the prices are reduced with the term. So?

- Rich
All subscription are not prepaid, I pay Qobuz every month $14.99, same for Amazon HD and Tidal, $12.99 a month is to be paid in 1 lump sum of $149,$20 plan $249

levimax

Major Contributor
I bought this album on Bandcamp: Kronos Quartet - Terry Riley- Sun Rings
I wanted the Flac version and downloaded it, it turns out it was 48/24 MQA files.
Since I would rather have pure 48/24 Flac files, I then downloaded the Wav files instead, thinking I could convert them to pure Flac.
So that is what I did. It then turns out that the converted Wav-files were also MQA, so the MQA was embedded in the Wav-files.
In this case I was not warned about getting MQA, and could not avoid it beforehand.
Sure, I expected 44.1/16 files, but got 48/24 MQA instead, but I really do not want MQA...
How did you "test" for the files being MQA? The "lights" or some other way? Thanks

jensgk

Forum Donor
How did you "test" for the files being MQA? The "lights" or some other way? Thanks
When I first bought it, I had a monthly subscription on Roon, for about 3 months, and I could see it in there, but I do not have that subscription any more.
When I downloaded the Wav-files, and converted them, I tested the resulting Flac-files with the MQA Tag Renaming Application
I currently do not have any means af playing the files as MQA, and probably never will.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
All subscription are not prepaid, I pay Qobuz every month $14.99, same for Amazon HD and Tidal, $12.99 a month is to be paid in 1 lump sum of $149,$20 plan $249

Pre-paid per month. you pay for the next month, then it expires, then you pay for the next month.
Even when you get the first month free, you can cancel on the last day and owe nothing, so it the first month is pre-paid with zero cost.

- Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom