• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MQA Deep Dive - I published music on tidal to test MQA

Status
Not open for further replies.

bboris77

I switched Roon to HiFi and don't recall seeing any MQA since, maybe it happened once. Though I suppose it depends on the label/artists as there may really be no other version.
What he is saying is that Tidal is misrepresenting "HiFi" for all the files that exist in "Master Quality" format. He argues that they are simply lossy MQA files that pose as uncompressed "HiFi". Which is a big deal for people like me who pay for the HiFi service and expect lossless files.

nimar

Forum Donor
What he is saying is that Tidal is misrepresenting "HiFi" for all the files that exist in "Master Quality" format. He argues that they are simply lossy MQA files that pose as uncompressed "HiFi". Which is a big deal for people like me who pay for the HiFi service and expect lossless files.
Yes, I confirmed this and updated my original post.

PITA as Quobuz is not an option in Canada.

OP
GoldenOne

GoldenOne

Not Active
Did you specify an output filename? You have to do that.
Ohh, that may be why.

Just to double check what is the correct command format?

Would it be:

./mqbgen inputfile.wav outputfilename

(and do I include a file extension?)

mansr

Major Contributor
Ohh, that may be why.

Just to double check what is the correct command format?

Would it be:

./mqbgen inputfile.wav outputfilename

(and do I include a file extension?)
The output file is named exactly as specified and has WAV format regardless of what you call it.

Yes, error messages could be better.

OP
GoldenOne

GoldenOne

Not Active
Yep this is exactly what's happening and I've cancelled my subscription for this reason.

I paid for lossless. If they don't offer that, I'll take my money to deezer/qobuz and would encourage others to do the same

Grooved

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Video is up.
I'll be writing a full written version which will be posted here, head-fi, audiophilestyle etc, and will share the original masters, MQA encoded versions, and unfolded (both first unfold and analog recording of full decode) versions so others can test and look into the files themselves too.

MQA did respond to me, and their response is discussed at the end of the video (timestamps in description and playbar)

Excellent job!
I was doing some test on MQA but did not think about this brillant idea to submit tracks ;-)

I find interesting that in their responses, they seemed to not understand that, more important than their technology having or not having a problem, their statements and the way they present it include a lot of lies.
Actually, the simpler solution to proving that MQA is not doing/matching what they say would be to ask them to repeat all of what they said while passing a lie detector test ;-)

Last edited:

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@GoldenOne - Do you believe that DACs have a 'sound'? I ask because your approach to investigating MQA detailed in this thread is presented as being quite scientific and 'objective' in tone, however in your review of the Soncoz SGD1, you use a lot of 'subjective' terms like 'resolving', 'clinical' and 'cold' to describe the 'sound' of DACs.

Grooved

@GoldenOne , have you done any testing on Amazon Music HD that would be able to confirm once for all whether their "semi-exclusive" mode is truly bit-perfect?

The issue is that this mode outputs at the exact sample rate that your Windows mixer is set at.

Tested it, and yes it's not Bitperfect. @GoldenOne may confirm it.
If your DAC is set on higher sample rate and bit depth than the highest file they have, the Amazon app will upsample to the setting of your DAC.
If you have one of sample rate or bit depth lower, it will in most case play a lower file, and even changing sample rate if needed.
So in theory, if want to listen it "as bitperfect as possible", you need to adjust the setting of your DAC for each song (we can not say each album because there are albums with different resolution among the songs it contains.
A "solution" is to create playlist by resolution...

Do you believe that DACs have a 'sound'? I ask because your approach to investigating MQA detailed in this thread is presented as being quite scientific and 'objective' in tone, however in your review of the Soncoz SGD1, you use a lot of 'subjective' terms like 'resolving', 'clinical' and 'cold' to describe the 'sound' of DACs.
From my POV, they can sound really close or different, but it's all logic as there a lot more component than the DAC chip that can impact the sound. A interesting test would be to compare a device by only changing his DAC chip.
Having good measurement is an very important thing in any case, but it can't confirm the transparency of the device, which is not necessary a goal for listening as it's a matter of taste, but it can be a goal if you need external processing while mixing or if you need a D/A-AD loop for mastering. And in this case, I bet the MOTU interface I submitted on the Gearslutz test would not get one the best measurements from Amir, even if it's one of the best transparent device if you need D/A-A/D loop.

Last edited:
OP
GoldenOne

GoldenOne

Not Active
@GoldenOne - Do you believe that DACs have a 'sound'? I ask because your approach to investigating MQA detailed in this thread is presented as being quite scientific and 'objective' in tone, however in your review of the Soncoz SGD1, you use a lot of 'subjective' terms like 'resolving', 'clinical' and 'cold' to describe the 'sound' of DACs.
Yes I do.
And I understand that on this forum it probably won't be a particularly popular opinion.

I sit a bit in the middle between objectivist and subjectivist.

Hardcore subjectivists who think objective performance doesn't matter are wrong. And I do not believe there is almost ever a reason for buying an objectively BAD product, other than some edge cases where you explicitly want something very coloured.
Schiit bifrost 2 is a good example. It doesn't do great objectively, and subjectively it IS a very coloured dac. But I also found it to be great fun. Warm and slammy and very enjoyable for some genres. But wouldn't choose it as a main DAC as its certainly not 'neutral'.

But I do personally feel that some objectivists make unfair assumptions. Many of the assumptions about what is/isn't audible have surprisingly little evidence behind them. Sometimes only one study, potentially with questionable methodology or subjects used.

I do feel that objective performance is perhaps MORE important than some assume. And that some products with objective performance in a given area well beyond what some may consider "inaudible" can be a benefit.

Hell there is even evidence suggesting that human hearing beats the Fourier uncertainty principle: https://phys.org/news/2013-02-human-fourier-uncertainty-principle.html#:~:text=The Fourier uncertainty principle states,required to represent the sound.

I've done assisted double-blind tests and have been able to tell the difference between DACs, and even DDC's to statistically significant results (I'll probably do a video on this in future cause I think it could be useful to some).
So this implies either I have golden ear hearing, which I don't believe to be the case, i'm sure i'm quite average though perhaps with the benefit of having a younger ear, or some statistics such as Jitter need more extensive testing to get a truly conclusive idea of what the threshold of audibility is.
A bit of a common issue I find with many studies is that the subjects are not experienced listeners.
I don't think it's unfair to assume that someone who is a mastering engineer, musician, or audiophile, would have better audibility thresholds than the average person. In fact the above article on the Fourier uncertainty principle demonstrates this. Musicians consistently outperformed everyone else in the test.

So I guess in summary. I'd consider myself an objectivist, but I think many other objectivists expectation-bias themselves into being unable to hear a difference between two given devices because they don't expect that X level of the metric they're testing for would be audible.
An ABX test CAN be used to prove a difference exists. But it cannot be used to prove a negative, that one does not exist.

Last edited:
OP
GoldenOne

GoldenOne

Not Active
Tested it, and yes it's not Bitperfect.
If your DAC is set on higher sample rate and bit depth than the highest file they have, the Amazon app will upsample to the setting of your DAC.
If you have one of sample rate or bit depth lower, it will in most case play a lower file, and even changing sample rate if needed.
So in theory, if want to listen it "as bitperfect as possible", you need to adjust the setting of your DAC for each song (we can not say each album because there are albums with different resolution among the songs it contains.
A "solution" is to create playlist by resolution...
This was what I found. It does not properly adjust DAC sample rate, so any high-sample rate recordings will be resampled.

I'll check later if it is bitperfect provided the sample rate is manually set correctly

Grooved

I remember discovering this when changing the setting on HiFi one day to compare with Master, and I saw my DAC turning blue or green on one song... was a bit surprised.
There's a trick, especially if you use Roon, by picking the album/song and clicking on "Version", it will show you the different version available and you can choose the real FLAC one, but not sure it can work for all songs. In Tidal app, you have to click on "view all" and it shows if an album has several version.
But there are some strange things this last months like an album that was FLAC only for years, then changed for MQA 16/44.1 only, then gone back to FLAC only... I'll check if DAC sees it as MQA of FLAC now that it's gone to FLAC again.

Last edited:

Grooved

I've done assisted double-blind tests and have been able to tell the difference between DACs, and even DDC's to statistically significant results (I'll probably do a video on this in future cause I think it could be useful to some).
So this implies either I have golden ear hearing, which I don't believe to be the case, i'm sure i'm quite average though perhaps with the benefit of having a younger ear, or some statistics such as Jitter need more extensive testing to get a truly conclusive idea of what the threshold of audibility is.
A bit of a common issue I find with many studies is that the subjects are not experienced listeners.
I don't think it's unfair to assume that someone who is a mastering engineer, musician, or audiophile, would have better audibility thresholds than the average person. In fact the above article on the Fourier uncertainty principle demonstrates this. Musicians consistently outperformed everyone else in the test...

You are pointing out a important point : most people (I know some that don't at all) making music/working in music industry are not necessary better at listening and finding difference, but are more trained to listen.
If you choose 100 persons to do a test, and that 95 of them are not trained to listen, don't know on what part you have better chance to find the difference, the test can't confirm that people can't make the difference because it's biased.
And I'm not talking about doing test with/without songs you know, and with/without songs that benefit from the different format.

Last edited:

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This was a very good thing you did :cool:. The only flaw i could find was your stance on so called apodizing filters , the "pre ringing" does not actually happen with music signals it's visible with test signals. It's a common misconception i think our friend Måns @mansr can explain this better than me.
I think he has an article on his homepage on the topic .

So this is another flaw in MQA "Meridian Bob" trying to impose this class of filters on every user whether they want it or not .
The latest decade of filter hysteria in audiophile products is almost comical a DAC mfg should just set something, it's not a user fudge parameter imho .

I think all this is what happen when trying to perfect transparent products . some kind of "perverse instantiation" fudge enough with your weird theories without controlled peer reviewed testing and you eventually make it non transparent aka audible and therefore better by audiophile logic :facepalm:

mansr

Major Contributor
The latest decade of filter hysteria in audiophile products is almost comical a DAC mfg should just set something, it's not a user fudge parameter imho .
The DAC chips usually have a few choices, at least a "proper" filter and a slow roll-off (short) one since there are applications where the lower latency of the latter is more important than ideal frequency response. Even minimum phase is justifiable for this reason. Likewise, it makes sense for products like the RME interfaces to expose these settings (or implement their own filters) since they'll likely be used in many different situations. Even then, the differences really shouldn't be audible, so it makes little sense to have all those choices on a device aimed at simple playback only. Then again, if the extra development cost of adding a menu entry is minimal, it doesn't do any harm either. It's the way these features are promoted in marketing that's really annoying. The worst part is that the claims made by different manufactures are in direct contradiction to each other. Some, if not all, of them have got to be wrong.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
You are pointing out a important point : most people (I know some that don't at all) making music/working in music industry are not necessary better at listening and finding difference, but are more trained to listen.
If you choose 100 persons to do a test, and that 95 of them are not trained to listen, don't know on what part you have better chance to find the difference, the test can't confirm that people can't make the difference because it's biased.
And I'm talking about doing test with/without songs you know, and with/without songs that benefit from the different format.
How can you be a professional musician and not listen,that don't make a bit of sense, you'll never get a job.Being a musician you gonna either learn it by ear or read it if it written

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom