• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MQA Deep Dive - I published music on tidal to test MQA

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Coming from a location where my streaming options are limited to Apple Music, Spotify and Tidal, I guess my best choice in terms of music resolution is still Tidal Hifi/Master.

In fact, while reading through this somewhat heated debate, I’m still enjoying my MQA music and could not hear anything “nasty” in the songs I played. So from a real life perspective, I can’t really complain. Peace ☺️
What country?

Zensō

Major Contributor
Coming from a location where my streaming options are limited to Apple Music, Spotify and Tidal, I guess my best choice in terms of music resolution is still Tidal Hifi/Master.

In fact, while reading through this somewhat heated debate, I’m still enjoying my MQA music and could not hear anything “nasty” in the songs I played. So from a real life perspective, I can’t really complain. Peace ☺️

This debate isn’t really about sound quality. Multiple controlled tests have shown that 256 AAC and 320 Ogg Vorbis are perceptually equal to RBCD to a vast majority of people. Any of your three options above will sound the same when streaming music blind at matched volumes.

Digital Delay

This debate isn’t really about sound quality. Multiple controlled tests have shown that 256 AAC and 320 Ogg Vorbis are perceptually equal to RBCD to a vast majority of people. Any of your three options above will sound the same when streaming music blind at matched volumes.

Wow really? I would have thought 16 or 13 bit / 44.1 Tidal Hifi/MQA (equal or close to CD quality) should sound better than Apple Music or Spotify

mkawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
i could swear i can tell the difference between 256 AAC and LDAC 990 over BT, but that's pretty far from blind. also, between spotify 320 and any of the redbook services, but i definitely can't tell the difference between MQA 13-bit and RB. i've been avoiding MQA out of principle more than anything.

again though, none of this is blind. you're getting your money's worth from almost any of the high quality tiers of music services as long as the masters are good. see: the hi-rez music poll. we're audiophiles and 2/3 of us can't tell the difference between caveman encoded music and spaceman encoded music

Zensō

Major Contributor
Wow really? I would have thought 16 or 13 bit / 44.1 Tidal Hifi/MQA (equal or close to CD quality) should sound better than Apple Music or Spotify
You can run this test yourself by downloading a “hi-res” file and compressing at various lower levels. Just be sure you’re comparing with precisely matched volumes and blind without knowledge of which you’re listening to. It’s extremely unlikely you’ll be able to pick out high bit rate compressed files from lossless.

You might find this interesting:

http://archimago.blogspot.com/2013/02/high-bitrate-mp3-internet-blind-test_2.html?m=1

and this:

https://cdvsmp3.wordpress.com/cd-vs-itunes-plus-blind-test-results/

Zensō

Major Contributor
i could swear i can tell the difference between 256 AAC and LDAC 990 over BT, but that's pretty far from blind. also, between spotify 320 and any of the redbook services, but i definitely can't tell the difference between MQA 13-bit and RB. i've been avoiding MQA out of principle more than anything.

again though, none of this is blind. you're getting your money's worth from almost any of the high quality tiers of music services as long as the masters are good. see: the hi-rez music poll. we're audiophiles and 2/3 of us can't tell the difference between caveman encoded music and spaceman encoded music
Bluetooth codecs are a different subject altogether. I’m not surprised you’re hearing differences there.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

JEntwistle

Forum Donor
Why would it gain traction with labels in this manner? What is in it for labels to jam this into their distribution? And why would companies like Amazon, HDtracks, etc. let them?

This is all fantasy and imagination going wild.

Honest question: Why is Warner (apparently) having its entire HR catalogue on Tidal replaced with MQA? Or are you saying that Warner does not care, and it is likely Tidal's own decision to do this?

guenthi_r

Blind tests... my ears are not good enough, really.
Recently i done a ABX RedBook CD vs Sharp latest ATRAC (really, no joke) and i never get an consistent detection rate...

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Honest question: Why is Warner (apparently) having its entire HR catalogue on Tidal replaced with MQA? Or are you saying that Warner does not care, and it is likely Tidal's own decision to do this?

the same reason why would anyone publish anything in MQA, cheap marketing. for the sake of Warner, since they are stake owners, free marketing.

Zensō

Major Contributor
It’s my understanding that Warner Music Group is a shareholder in MQA Ltd.

mkawa

Forum Donor
well not anymore since tidal pulled all his MQA tracks..

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The MQA plan was simple:
  1. Convince friends in Audiophile press that MQA sounds better (child's play really)
  2. Convince labels that their technology preserves their "crown jewels" (not too difficult to generate a fear based appeal)
  3. Obtain a backer with virtually limitless cash (Jack)
  4. Stuff Bob's pockets with bills so he keeps pressing the flesh (ongoing)
  5. Begin the process of MQA only releases (it has begun)
Consumer's must be educated and resist and that is what some have worked hard to do.
An educated consumer is not a pawn, an uneducated consumer is a pawn.

Thankfully, the consumer has truth is on their side because the MQA sales pitch is riddled with provable falsehoods. Many of which are in direct opposition to the facts.
  • MQA does not create a single master, streaming needs a compact lossy MP3 type compression for majority of its customers.
  • MQA does not deblur, its filter blurs by leaks aliasing into the audible range.
  • MQA files are not at the PCM rate advertised.
  • MQA does not restore the original master it degrades it.
  • MQA is not right-sized it can be larger. In fact, LPCM at 96khz/18 bits FLAC may best it.
  • MQA does not make obsolete the terms lossy and lossless.
  • Simply put, MQA is not HD-Audio, nor is is branded to be.
These people have provided epic levels of BS that is, altogether, offensive.
They should be shunned and laughed out of the room.
The level of the deception is so bad, that MQA deserves the deriding and there has not been nearly enough.

- Rich

Last edited:

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What would be the point? We have access to those encoders. The only reason Tidal was done, is because Meridian refuses even third party audit of the encoder.

because I haven't seen anyone do that sort of comparison and I don't have the necessary expertise to do the comparison myself.

Tidal might still be worth the extra 10$, till Spotify Hi-Fi is released at least.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@GoldenOne

is it possible to publish the same tracks on Spotify and do a similar analysis to see how MQA fares up to other lossy codecs?

You're quite late to the party :cool: The files were on Spotify the whole time, and a quick analysis has been done.

mkawa

Forum Donor
Are you insinuating that he is stupid and thus deleted the FLAC files he submitted to Tidal/MQA for publishing?
i was under the impression that he paid the service to encode his flacs into mqa and they uploaded to tidal directly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom