• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MQA: A Review of controversies, concerns, and cautions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parzival

Exactly. So you don't need ultrasonic capability to reproduce transients.

Indeed. You seem to be illustrating one of them.

That makes no sense. Do you understand what "resolution" means? Analog signals have a limited resolution too.

Why do you keep confusing between ultrasonics and transients? This forum is not homogenous in terms of knowledge about the subject and many people come here to learn something but absorb wrong information from the loaded statements equating things wrongly.

Parzival

Exactly. So you don't need ultrasonic capability to reproduce transients.

Indeed. You seem to be illustrating one of them.

That makes no sense. Do you understand what "resolution" means? Analog signals have a limited resolution too.

buddy, resolution can be in dynamic range as well as timing. Bit depth is one factor.

Parzival

You really should study Shannon Nyquist. It’s neither esoteric nor new.
I was referring to upscaling / upsampling algorithms to bridge the gaps in a discrete digital recording. Unfortunately I was misconstrued.

Parzival

No, it can't. What do you think the timing resolution of 44.1/16 is?

near about 22 milli seconds. Good pair of human ears :p can perceive upto 4 milli seconds. I didn’t want to make this technical and one side, but yeah side stepping there.

Parzival

Correct.

So I don't need ultrasonic resolution to reproduce them.
such retorts don’t take the debate anywhere.
Please elaborate what in your opinion, apart from bitrate and sampling frequency, is required to capture and reproduce finer resolution in audio.

Parzival

That's the thing... There isn't even a possible improvement. It isn't about that last order of magnitude of sinad measurements..MQA is a detrimental process.

I agree, it is not a true hires only a stopgap compression codec and filter. That’s why I said commercial standards such as Dolby, DTS or even THX should set something out which is better and true hires suitable for streaming and acceptable to the media industry as a whole.

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
yeah never ending debate :)
But the reason this debate will never end is because the prevalent hires definition is only relative to the older generation CD quality.
The human ear can discern timing information and audio resolution nearly 250- 300khz. this remains a niche science with not too many academics and universities devoting enough time to the study.

Says who, Milind Kunchur? I watched James Johnston dismantle his work years ago on various forums. And regarding 'the' human ear, of what age?

old guards debating whether higher hires (;)) is required is akin to saying why need 8K, 1080p is good enough. we all need more :D

Video vs audio is another tired bogus zombie talking point. We were not near the visual resolution that humans are capable of. That's why there was actual room to improve video. For audio it's a very different story.

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
compression algorithms have naturally come a long way in the intervening decades, but flac is legacy and there are entry - exit barriers to switch formats. Also the computational power is at an enterprise level and should not be a client side concern. (Logic is similar to Netflix)
An influential powerhouse platform company like google, fb, apple, ARM etc or a major chip manufacturer like Qualcomm / Broadcom is needed to introduce sweeping changes with an adoptable mass appeal.
It is beyond the scope of meridian which is small time and even biggies Sony/Samsung who have a competitive take to this.

Don't worry, Pied Piper is on the case.

Parzival

Wow, somebody is really hoping to make a mountain out of a molehill.

Pun intended.

Yes, I understand the difference between a molecule and an atom.

That's why I used the term "molecule" the second time.

And there was no deflection in my use of the term pedant. It was pretty straight forward.

I am new to ASR, but based on what little I read so far, can’t help but notice the purveying of misinformation that is rampant here.

We need to not only help raise the standards of audiophile technology but also the standard of debates.

Parzival

Says who, Milind Kunchur? I watched James Johnston dismantle his work years ago on various forums. And regarding 'the' human ear, of what age?

Video vs audio is another tired bogus zombie talking point. We were not near the visual resolution that humans are capable of. That's why there was actual room to improve video. For audio it's a very different story.

You have something better as an analogy, please enlighten

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
near about 22 milli seconds. Good pair of human ears :p can perceive upto 4 milli seconds. I didn’t want to make this technical and one side, but yeah side stepping there.
A little knowledge may help.

https://troll-audio.com/articles/time-resolution-of-digital-audio/

To skip the full explanation above, redbook CD is capable of time resolution into the 110 picosecond range. So 4 milliseconds is nothing to worry about. You can just accept our help and not worry about it or figure it out with some help. Trust us is simpler.

You can also watch the Monty Montgomery video where he will demonstrate the truth of this in one portion of this video. 17:23 is the specific point on timing.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I am new to ASR, but based on what little I read so far, can’t help but notice the purveying of misinformation that is rampant here.

Uh huh.

Can't wait for you to help straighten it all out

PaulD

yeah never ending debate :)
But the reason this debate will never end is because the prevalent hires definition is only relative to the older generation CD quality.
The human ear can discern timing information and audio resolution nearly 250- 300khz. this remains a niche science with not too many academics and universities devoting enough time to the study.

old guards debating whether higher hires (;)) is required is akin to saying why need 8K, 1080p is good enough. we all need more :D
Ok.... It's time to invoke the Monty on this BS.

For anyone who believes that we need higher sampling rates to capture transients (in a bandwidth limited signal no less :facepalm: this shows a profound lack of understanding of Shannon Nyquist) Please view the following video:

Watch it a few times, there is plenty of good information in it. Note the part at around 21 mins, where it shows how signal edges are correctly encoded and reproduced "between the sample points".

[EDIT] Blumein 88's and my posts crossed, but I'll leave this because it points to the part of the video that makes the point.

Last edited:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I was referring to upscaling / upsampling algorithms to bridge the gaps in a discrete digital recording. Unfortunately I was misconstrued.

Ummm, no. And you're still apparently unclear on how Shannon-Nyquist works.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert

The irony, it burns.

Parzival

Ok.... It's time to invoke the Monty on this BS.

For anyone who believes that we need higher sampling rates to capture transients (in a bandwidth limited signal no less :facepalm: this shows a profound lack of understanding of Shannon Nyquist) Please view the following video:

Watch it a few times, there is plenty of good information in it. Note the part at around 21 mins, where it shows how signal edges are correctly encoded and reproduced "between the sample points".

[EDIT] Bleumein88 and my posts crossed, but I'll leave this because it points to the part of the video that makes the point.

Ok since you insist, will give it watch. But going by what you say, humans are sorted till kingdom comes, with the 1979 CD technology 16/44 resolution. Don’t you find that to be having strong implications. Thx for the video though, will watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom