• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Moving past measurements: UI/UX and equipment design, the next frontier?

spiritofjerry

I'd like to say, in the past ~5 years or so, we've seen the advent of the "transparency" era. Sure, you still get one or two turds here and there, but for the most part, companies are catching on that measurements matter, and we're entering a new era of endgame transparency in audio equipment. This has been fabulous for this forum, as we're now in the vanity phase of measuring gear that have inaudible imperfections!

What is the next era for the evolution of hi-fi audio gear, especially in the desktop space? I'd like to posit that the next era is that of standardized UI/UX and input/output options. Unlike measurements, there will always be a need for different niche gear for different use cases, but as more and more people are using desktop gear for their PC/console/TV setups, there will be more and more consensus on what works in those setups to make them usable, and I'd like to suggest that we will start seeing more and more design choices that meet typical user needs. However, we will need to be vocal in demanding it!

What we are already seeing: we are starting to see inclusion of a standardized set of digital inputs on nearly every device. Bluetooth is more likely to be included in desktop amps and DACs, whereas just a few years ago, it was entirely niche. We are seeing more and more 1/4 inch jacks on desktop devices, and even more balanced options. We're starting to see subwoofer outputs on class D desktop amps.

What I would like to see: Standardized placement of power switches on the front of the device. Schiit, as an example, still uses the "hi-fi" standard rear power switch on devices mostly aimed at desktop users, and this is a huge UI/UX failure. It needs to be on the front. Amplifiers need to have the option to choose between pre-out and fixed line out, instead of choosing one or the other. It only requires a switch in the path. Inclusion of high visibility knobs and displays, so that volume is easily readable.

What else would you like to see standardized and made more usable in the UI/UX revolution? Certainly, I think we are well on our way to highly usable gear already, and it's really exciting to watch!

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Schiit, as an example, still uses the "hi-fi" standard rear power switch on devices mostly aimed at desktop users, and this is a huge UI/UX failure. It needs to be on the front

Nothing "Hi-Fi" standard about a rear power switch. It's just screams poverty-level construction and immediately disqualifies it as real Hi-Fi. Far too many receivers have "soft" power switches for standby and a master switch on the rear.

Even preamplifiers that put MM/MC or loading switches on the rear are cutting corners. The only switch that is OK on a amplifier rear panel is a BTL switch IMO. All input selection should be on the front panel- not a PCB mount 5cent slide switch on the rear panel.

OP
spiritofjerry

spiritofjerry

Nothing "Hi-Fi" standard about a rear power switch. It's just screams poverty-level construction and immediately disqualifies it as real Hi-Fi. Far too many receivers have "soft" power switches for standby and a master switch on the rear.

Even preamplifiers that put MM/MC or loading switches on the rear are cutting corners. The only switch that is OK on a amplifier rear panel is a BTL switch IMO. All input selection should be on the front panel- not a PCB mount 5cent slide switch on the rear panel.
The original intention for keeping the switch at the rear was to keep the AC from running around inside the device adding noise, and to simplify the circuitry. The problem with this is that there are modern solutions that aren't much more costly, such as relays, and few extra pcb traces aren't really anything more costly to engineer. I agree, it's lazy at best, and a huge UI/UX failure at worst.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I have a friend in UX. The serious design requires fieldwork and heavy research. Understanding the whole of interactions with the device, website, whatever. Not just a drawing board kind of thing.

Not easy to define good design, especially when trying something original, but easy to find faults.

OP
spiritofjerry

spiritofjerry

Absolutely, it's a field of trial and error. And we are the test subjects.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Frankly I'd like a standardized operating system oriented toward hifi just like all the open source rpi streamer projects with programmable API and a big glass touchscreen display front. Then allow for more modular addition of software features like "xx connect" for your streaming services of choice and your DSP software package of choice. All the clunky proprietary operating systems with stacks of binaries and separate integrated circuits for each feature is just so 1990's and getting in the way and making it a worse product. The mobile operating systems have shown everyone the way. Hifi needs to get on the software train.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The original intention for keeping the switch at the rear was to keep the AC from running around inside the device adding noise, and to simplify the circuitry.
John is talking about golden age of hi-fi when nice mechanical switches had elaborate internal mechanisms to toggle the switch internally which was positioned in the optimal place on the PCB. These companies had superb mechanical engineering departments so designing such things was no big deal. And sign of excellence when you opened such a box. The more elaborate the mechanism, the more you drooled. :)

Today shortcuts are taken because design and tooling for such parts can be very expensive.

OP
spiritofjerry

spiritofjerry

Today shortcuts are taken because design and tooling for such parts can be very expensive.
Unfortunate. However, there are very, very good desktop headphone amplifier products out there with front power switches that come in at ~$100 mark, so I don't think it's entirely unfeasible to be done on a budget.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a friend in UX. The serious design requires fieldwork and heavy research. Understanding the whole of interactions with the device, website, whatever. Not just a drawing board kind of thing.

Not easy to define good design, especially when trying something original, but easy to find faults.
You also have this problem. Not just in products, but also in UI/UX.
Quoting Henry Ford “If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.”

Sometimes someone comes up with something better that isn't the way anyone asked. Sometimes excellent UI is only excellent after a period of learning and adjustment. Often accompanied by the initial distaste for how things are done. Those situations are very hard to navigate until someone has a vision and shows you how it can be done.

Switches on the front or anywhere don't much matter with remote controls on much gear. How I wish there was some development of good remotes. Why does anyone make a video product without lighted remote keys for instance? Of course they can save that money and tell us we'll all be talking to our remotes (like we already can). That too needs lots of work.

OP
spiritofjerry

spiritofjerry

Sometimes someone comes up with something better that isn't the way anyone asked. Sometimes excellent UI is only excellent after a period of learning and adjustment. Often accompanied by the initial distaste for how things are done. Those situations are very hard to navigate until someone has a vision and shows you how it can be done.
Well said, and I agree. Here's a good example of that "distaste" in practice, and something I would love to see catch on -- this is from Amir's review of the Cambridge Audio Duo Phono Preamp:

@amirm
index.php

Note how thoughtful someone was to put a set of labels upside down so that you could read them when leaning over the unit!
The thought to include those upside down labels was ingenious. I can't tell you how many times that would have made a world of difference. That type of product design is clever and useful, but it's subtle. You wouldn't think you needed it until you're banging your head on the rack trying to plug in interconnects.

How I wish there was some development of good remotes. Why does anyone make a video product without lighted remote keys for instance?
Amen.

wwenze

Major Contributor
We have long obtained "acceptable performance", and now moving towards

1) Cost reduction

2) Marketing

OP
spiritofjerry

spiritofjerry

We have long obtained "acceptable performance", and now moving towards

1) Cost reduction

2) Marketing
Acceptable performance has been around for decades. Integrated amps from the 70's still measure very good today. I think we are definitely seeing an increase in how much we can reduce cost, but that's not the entire picture. Companies are moving toward consolidating features that are useful, and it's very apparent. Just look at the evolution of standalone "cheap" DAC/Amps. The Schiit Fulla stands out in this category. It's perhaps only risen in price ~$20 from the original model if you account for inflation, but the design is so much more competent, ergonomic, and useful. Many products have seen such an evolution. It's quite amazing.

KSTR

Major Contributor
You wouldn't think you needed it until you're banging your head on the rack trying to plug in interconnects.
And how many times you do that in your entire life in your domestic HiFi? 10 times, 30 times maybe? I agree that this is a example which cost nothing and therefore it could be implemented without any drawbacks...

but overall, these are definitely first world problem IHMO, plus many so-called UI/UX enhancements are actually making things worse and worse. Look at a microwave oven, for example. All it ever needs are two simple rotary dials: how long and how much power. Now look at the crap UI a modern microwave has, non-intuitive foil or sensor buttons/switches bloated options (including remote control via an app -- what the hell do you need that for), cryptic icons. Notably the overuse of unclear "designer" icons are one of the major fuck-ups in UIs in both hardware and software items. Did it occur to the designers that icons never can be googled whereas plain text always can if you don't understand it?). Better have the manual ready if you want to heat your cup of milk in the morning...

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
And how many times you do that in your entire life in your domestic HiFi? 10 times, 30 times maybe? I agree that this is a example which cost nothing and therefore it could be implemented without any drawbacks...

but overall, these are definitely first world problem IHMO, plus many so-called UI/UX enhancements are actually making things worse and worse. Look at a microwave oven, for example. All it ever needs are two simple rotary dials: how long and how much power. Now look at the crap UI a modern microwave has, non-intuitive foil or sensor buttons/switches bloated options (including remote control via an app -- what the hell do you need that for), cryptic icons. Notably the overuse of unclear "designer" icons are one of the major fuck-ups in UIs in both hardware and software items. Did it occur to the designers that icons never can be googled whereas plain text always can if you don't understand it?). Better have the manual ready if you want to heat your cup of milk in the morning...

So true. For us guys, instead of very low, low, medium high, high etc, it should be "magnetron duty cycle" in percentage and time set in seconds. Two controls is all we need.

I hope you aren't serious about apps for microwaves. Surely not? :facepalm:

Top Bottom