• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Movies you like but others not !!!

LightninBoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Ha! This is a great idea for a thread! I'll be sure to chip in from time to time.
I'll start with Oblivion.
Oblivion2013Poster.jpg

I think this movie was far more important than most realised. I hoped cinema students would see this in their analysis, but they were first to renounce it cause they couldn't get past Tom Cruise. Such a pity. I can hardly find anyone who really likes it.

I liked it a lot. And I appreciate Cruise for signing up for these kinds of projects (as mentioned above, Edge of Tomorrow is another example).

killdozzer

Major Contributor
4th? I have no idea what you're talking about.. ;)

I really like it too.

Speaking of Tom Cruise. Edge of Tomorrow is an extremely well executed sci-fi movie in the Groundhog Day -genre.
Oh come on, there's no such genre! ;)

Anyway, I saw it more like making a narrative strategy out of how video games usually play out. And I liked that. I think it's a good movie, but to me Oblivion is much more. The way how people are being held under control simply by the tale of how they actually won although they're doing exactly what their conqueror wants them to do and how they're in fact helping the enemy "load the truck with their own belongings"... It's frighteningly accurate.

Another thing is how all those "one of a kind, unique, gifted" astronauts with their exceptional history, background and experience are just uniformed dolls, automatons, dropping from a conveyor belt hellbent on doing what is asked of them because they're being told no one else can do it and they are special. The best functioning team. Or whatever it was. Very close to telling someone how special he is for having golden ears and hears stuff no one else can when trying to sell BS cables to him after which he starts hearing what is expected of him? Scary stuff, is it not?

killdozzer

Major Contributor
Plus TV series Russian Doll.

I watched Palm Springs recently without realising it was one of these, much more interesting a film because of it. Groundhog Day is one of my favourite films, one of the few films I can rewatch often.
All fine and well, but have you ever tried starting each new day by watching the Groundhog Day? :D

killdozzer

Major Contributor
All others get mentioned a lot; The Sixth Sense, The Village, Unbreakable... But no one (that I know of) really noticed The Happening:
617MxAoi5qL._AC_.jpg

ADU

Major Contributor
I'm not unaware of such movies. There was an emoji with my answer... It was meant to say it's definitely not Groundhog Day-genre, but I didn't want to make Killingbeans fell uncomfortable.

They may not be identical, but...

Both employ some form of time looping, I believe.

I've only seen the Cruise film (Edge of Tomorrow) a couple times though. So my memory of it is not as good.

ADU

Major Contributor
A_Sound_of_Thunder_poster.jpg

Another lower-budget SF film in a somewhat similar vein that never seemed to get much love was 2005's A Sound of Thunder with Ed Burns and Ben Kingsley.

killdozzer

Major Contributor
They may not be identical, but...

Both employ some form of time looping, I believe.
No, no, the only point was that the genre is certainly not called groundhog day-genre. I get what you're saying, but I was teasing Killingbeans for labeling the genre after one movie that is the example of. But it was just teasing, I wasn't trying to be genre-police.

A_Sound_of_Thunder_poster.jpg

Another lower-budget SF film in a somewhat similar vein that never seemed to get much love was 2005's A Sound of Thunder with Ed Burns and Ben Kingsley.
I did see a lot of love for this one. I also liked it. Most of my movie crowd said it's obviously low budget, but they liked it for what it was.

ADU

Major Contributor
I will also add MST3K and some of the Hallmark Xmas movies. The former might be popular with some others here. But the latter maybe less so.

I've obviously been watching too much cable. :)

killdozzer

Major Contributor
@ADU to keep it on the honest side, I was even wrong about the trope not being called groundhog, as my own source of movie tropes proved me wrong:

Reactions: ADU

ADU

Major Contributor
No, no, the only point was that the genre is certainly not called groundhog day-genre. I get what you're saying, but I was teasing Killingbeans for labeling the genre after one movie that is the example of. But it was just teasing, I wasn't trying to be genre-police.

Got it. Thank you for clarifying.

I did see a lot of love for this one. I also liked it. Most of my movie crowd said it's obviously low budget, but they liked it for what it was.

Interesting. I honestly don't know many other folks who've even seen it.

ADU

Major Contributor
@ADU to keep it on the honest side, I was even wrong about the trope not being called groundhog, as my own source of movie tropes proved me wrong:

Yes. Because it's such a quintessential and well-known example of this genre, I think it's pretty much understood what Killingbeans meant by "GroundHog Day genre". I assumed you knew that though, and were just pulling KB's leg a bit. :)

Robin L

Master Contributor
As long as we're stuck in the loop {FLAPJACKS!], I'll ramble on with my reminiscences of first encountering "Groundhog Day", in Manhattan, on the Upper West side, just off of Broadway. My first encounter with "New Yawk", March, 1993. A "100 year blizzard", busses stop rolling as the streets are covered in snow and ice. I was staying at my future bride's aunt's apartment [a studio apartment subdivided into a 1 bedroom, it is to laugh], we could walk to the movie theater, but if we wanted to get around town, it was only possible via subway. Went to Lincoln Center that way, walked outside and was nearly knocked over by the wind. Walking to the multiplex wasn't so hard. Having a good Chinese restaurant nearly directly underneath our feet us was one of the perks. The weather rhymed altogether too well with the movie.

killdozzer

Major Contributor
As long as we're stuck in the loop {FLAPJACKS!], I'll ramble on with my reminiscences of first encountering "Groundhog Day", in Manhattan, on the Upper West side, just off of Broadway. My first encounter with "New Yawk", March, 1993. A "100 year blizzard", busses stop rolling as the streets are covered in snow and ice. I was staying at my future bride's aunt's apartment [a studio apartment subdivided into a 1 bedroom, it is to laugh], we could walk to the movie theater, but if we wanted to get around town, it was only possible via subway. Went to Lincoln Center that way, walked outside and was nearly knocked over by the wind. Walking to the multiplex wasn't so hard. Having a good Chinese restaurant nearly directly underneath our feet us was one of the perks. The weather rhymed altogether too well with the movie.
1636126473816.png
Great story.

killdozzer

Major Contributor
1636225502102.png

Truly disturbing, very few people watched it even fewer liked it. It's a mindf... I couldn't bring myself to see it for the second time it is infuriating, it makes you feel disgusted... A dark psy-thriller.

Top Bottom