• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Movies Worth Owning

gsp1971

Forum Donor
From my personal collection.

1630692230583.png

ADU

Major Contributor

I feel bad that I didn't include any Ringwald films with my previous brat pack pics. :) Because I think she was/is one of the better performers in that group of actors. And some of her films (like Pretty in Pink) also had pretty good soundtracks.

Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone was sort of a cheezy, low-budget, SW/Mad Max clone from early in Ringwald's career. In the movie she plays sort of a wisecracking space urchin and sidekick to Peter Strauss's "Wolff" (who was kind of Han Solo-ish type). Michael Ironside also appeared in this as the evil "Overdog". And Ghostbuster Ernie Hudson is also on board for the ride.

As schlocky SF goes, it isn't such a bad little flick. And it also includes a fairly raucous stereo score by Elmer Bernstein (aka "Bernstein West"), who also did the incidental music for Heavy Metal. And scores for many other fine pictures.

Last edited:

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Rhys Ifans and Vanessa Redgrave are riveting in this. I guess the plot upset a lot of Shakespeare scholars and fans, even though it is Shakespearean in its tragedic scope, dialogue and high drama. BTW, Rhys Ifans is also superb as the poet Dylan Thomas in "Last Call", though the dysfunction he portrays may be too disheartening for some viewers.
poster_anonymous_rhys-ifans.png

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

I view this as one of Gary Oldman's finest performances. An even more fictional plot than "Anonymous", taking its cue from a mysterious dedication by L V Beethoven "To My Immortal Beloved", I find this movie to be fully on par with "Amadeus". A marvelous soundtrack by Solti/Chicago, particularly their performance of the Ninth, very affecting in the context of the movie.
poster_immortalbeloved.png

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

I am a sucker for the confluence of romance and "destiny". Ana and Otto (I love the detail that the names are palindromes) are Los Amantes del Circulo Polar (Spanish, with English subtitles, filmed on location in Finland).
poster_loverofthearcticcircle.png

Reactions: ADU

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

One day the Gods send a gift of a coke bottle down from the sky. Never having seen one before, the villagers find it hugely useful in several ways, but soon start to quarrel over who gets to use it and when. N!xau decides to return the bottle to the Gods, and undertakes a journey far away from the village, to places none of them have ever seen... Keep a sewing needle and some thread on hand, for there is danger of you splitting your sides. I watched this in an art-house theater multiple times when it came to the US in the '80s.
poster_thegodsmustbecrazy.png

Urgelle

The White ribbon and Happy end made by Haneke, I can't watch them over and over because I still think about them a two weeks after I watch them but I can watch them once a month or once every two month.

Man Bites Dog though, I could probably watch it until I die without getting annoyed.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Rhys Ifans and Vanessa Redgrave are riveting in this. I guess the plot upset a lot of Shakespeare scholars and fans, even though it is Shakespearean in its tragedic scope, dialogue and high drama. BTW, Rhys Ifans is also superb as the poet Dylan Thomas in "Last Call", though the dysfunction he portrays may be too disheartening for some viewers.
View attachment 151492
I hadn't seen this or Immortal Beloved before, I really enjoyed both of them. :)

I particularly liked Rafe Spall as Shakespeare in Anonymous.

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

I hadn't seen this or Immortal Beloved before, I really enjoyed both of them. :)

I particularly liked Rafe Spall as Shakespeare in Anonymous.
Glad you liked 'em! Agreed, Rafe Spall is excellent in a well-written portrayal of a charming, knavish Shakespeare who rises to the occasion.

Honken

I've begun using a software called Jellyfin to keep track of the movies I've seen as well as the movies I adore. There are so many good movies out there! Here's a snapshot of some of my favorites from my Jellyfin instance:
2021-09-11-191802_1920x1080_scrot.png

Restricting oneself to a specific genre, country or time period is so limiting. I wish more people would give movies outside of their comfort zone a chance.

Edit: Privately ripped which is legal in my place of residence.

Urgelle

Since there is "Le cercle rouge" and "Le samouraï", I'll add "Les Enfants Terribles" and "The beauty and the beast", both adapted from books written by Cocteau,the former directed by Melville and the latter by Cocteau himself, both good movies that I think are well worth owning but for different reasons. The latter is worth watching just for the costumes and the sets.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know whether these need to be added to everyone's collection, perhaps some of these titles will be new to many of you, particularly within the USA:

PK

You The Living

Jellyfish Eyes

Manufactured Landscapes

Ju On: The Grudge

Happiness of the Katakuris

Drunken Master

Rivers and Tides: Andy Goldsworthy Working With Time

Reactions: ADU
Top Bottom