• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Movies with great music in them?

Robin L

Master Contributor
For true MUSIC amateurs , Marin Marais &

Yes, and also:

Strange, how Marais and Saint-Colombe can produce a cathedral acoustic in that tiny shack they practiced in.

steve59

Major Contributor
Atomic Blonde.

Robin L

Master Contributor
I'm a big fan of Jordi Savall, his ancient instruments and the medieval music.
It was a revelation for my musical culture.
I was fortunate enough to record Jordi Savall at one of the Berkeley Early Music festivals.

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm a big fan of Jordi Savall, his ancient instruments and the medieval music.
It was a revelation for my musical culture.
I was fortunate enough to record Jordi Savall at one of the Berkeley Early Music festivals.
This is totally off-topic, but I have several of Savall's albums on CD with his multiple Hesperion formations, along with a DVD of Tous Les Matins Du Monde. I am an even bigger fan of his late wife Montserrat Figueras' singing, including her very earliest albums and the various versions of El Cant de la Sibil-la, and the splendid lullabies CD (Ninna Nanna). I also bought some of daughter Arianna Savall's CDs (pretty voice, similar style, not quite at the same level as mom).

Robin L

Master Contributor
This is totally off-topic, but I have several of Savall's albums on CD with his multiple Hesperion formations, along with a DVD of Tous Les Matins Du Monde. I am an even bigger fan of his late wife Montserrat Figueras' singing, including her very earliest albums and the various versions of El Cant de la Sibil-la, and the splendid lullabies CD (Ninna Nanna). I also bought some of daughter Arianna Savall's CDs (pretty voice, similar style, not quite at the same level as mom).
Jordi Savall turned me on to the French Baroque. The first recording I heard was the Marin Marais Book Four Suites for viol, this on a library LP, Teldec sublicensing from Astree. This immediately led to getting everything I could find, including the rare [in the USA] Astree LPs. Have SACDs of a number of Savall's recordings including his re-make of Book 4 and Tous Les Matins Du Monde in surround. "Music for foreign tastes" indeed!

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

Jordi Savall turned me on to the French Baroque. The first recording I heard was the Marin Marais Book Four Suites for viol, this on a library LP, Teldec sublicensing from Astree. This immediately led to getting everything I could find, including the rare [in the USA] Astree LPs. Have SACDs of a number of Savall's recordings including his re-make of Book 4 and Tous Les Matins Du Monde in surround. "Music for foreign tastes" indeed!
You went a lot deeper than I did! I do have Savall's Marais Suites for viol. Mostly, I have Alia Vox CDs, though IIRC a couple of Montserrat Figueras' CDs were on Astree. (Never got any LPs). My intro to French Baroque was through harpsichord music, Lully, Duphly, Couperin, Rameau et al. Later, Savall turned me on to Viol music, as well as to Spanish Renaissance/Baroque.

Archsam

My suggestions are a bit left field, but they are some of my favorites.

The Fabulous Baker Boys

The Hot Spot

Last edited:

steve59

Major Contributor
GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY vol1, simple mind. simple taste.

Martini

Forum Donor
Hitchcock's - Rear Window
The Pink Panther (1963)
James Bond - From Russia with Love, Matt Monro

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You went a lot deeper than I did! I do have Savall's Marais Suites for viol. Mostly, I have Alia Vox CDs, though IIRC a couple of Montserrat Figueras' CDs were on Astree. (Never got any LPs). My intro to French Baroque was through harpsichord music, Lully, Duphly, Couperin, Rameau et al. Later, Savall turned me on to Viol music, as well as to Spanish Renaissance/Baroque.

You guys, helped me un-dust my CD's
I listened to Purcell's Fantasias for the Viols 1680 (not the best) E8536 (Astrée Auvidis)
a 2CD dedicated ARS MUSICAE ES9910 (Astrée Auvidis)
Ostinato AV9820
Llibre Vermeill de Montserrat VER561174 2 14th century Pilgrimage

StefaanE

Forum Donor
Stanley Myers wrote great film music, here’s the quite superb music he wrote for the opening credits of Nicolas Roeg’s “The Witches”:

Robin L

Master Contributor
You guys, helped me un-dust my CD's
I listened to Purcell's Fantasias for the Viols 1680 (not the best) E8536 (Astrée Auvidis)
a 2CD dedicated ARS MUSICAE ES9910 (Astrée Auvidis)
Ostinato AV9820
Llibre Vermeill de Montserrat VER561174 2 14th century Pilgrimage
The Purcell was written by a 17 year old. Amazing stuff.

StefaanE

Forum Donor
Then there is the march “Aces High” Ron Goodwin wrote for the movie “The Battle of Britain”:

StefaanE

Forum Donor
OK, it’s a mini-series, but the theme music for “Masada” by the great Jerry Goldsmith:

Top Bottom