• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Movies with great music in them?

chaking

Forum Donor
If you like Philip Glass... It's not so much a movie, rather a long music video.

North_Sky

Major Contributor

Chuckv

Forum Donor
All through your mini review I was asking myself, "Yes, but is the film any good?"- You answered that in the penultimate sentence. I shall try and locate. I'd ask for a synopsis, but I have a feeling the clue is in the title. Though probably not in the literal sense of that Will Smith post apocalyptic bore-fest of a few years ago- I am Legend(?)
Actually the title has little or nothing to do with the film. The film is heavily about gentrification. I don't claim to be even remotely a film lover. I rarely if ever recommend a film let alone watch them. Film music is something I have grown to love over the years after my love of jazz. This particular film is about a down trodden fella's dreams of escape from darkness through trying to return to a home the family got gentrifried out of. And its a story of male friendship in the fight for survival. The cinematography is breathtaking. Really breathtaking. The acting is VERY well excecuted. The "one man play" scene is riveting. The music is the scapel here. The visuals perform the surgery. Best of both man. Film and Music. I won't see it again as the f bombs and subject matter are depressing to me personally. I grew up with this junk in real life. Don't need a repeat. If you have not been gentrified out of cherished childhood memories or grew up in the "hood" you will enjoy it for multiple viewings. I'm a one and done on the film yet >100x on the music.

Lbstyling

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Let's try to name all of the

Shall we rank them?

Honestly?

I spent a LONG time getting this list right, but beyond the list, it just depends on mood and system. If you have a very high resolving system. 12 years a slave takes some beating.

For the composition, I think Star Trek 2 main title is shockingly little known.

Requiem for a Dream is played too often on everything to be given a fair evaluation. same goes for Interstellar/Inception.

While I am here, I would probably add the title track to 7 years in Tibet to the list. John Williams' least appreciated masterpiece IMO.

balletboy

If you like Philip Glass... It's not so much a movie, rather a long music video.
]

In My early 20s I read most of Yukio Mishima’s books and then saw the biographic film. It introduced me to Philip Glass and I’ve never let go. This soundtrack stands up as a piece of music irrespective of the film.

North_Sky

Major Contributor
If we want to rate movie soundtracks accurately we would have to measure them in frequency response, bass depth, dynamics, phase response, polar response, center channel dialog intelligibility, stereo soundtracks, multichannel Dolby Atmos audio soundtrack, surround channels, ceiling channels, LFE extension and impact, we would need to measure impedance, vibrations, room's interactions, room's acoustics, volume levels, speaker wires, interconnects, power cords, ground, circuit box, voltage, transmission lines, power grid of the town where we live, we would need to match all the levels, all the movies playing @ reference master control, everything would need to be calibrated by a professionsl acoustician, or @ the IMAX theater or @ a professional Hollywood movie mixing/recording studio, or in a professional home theater.

Plus, all emotions would need to be discarded.

That would be real tough to rate/rank motion picture music soundtracks.
Only a pro could do it, and nobody else.

Lol, that'll be the day.

For a hi-fi stereo system playing only mono or stereo music no problemo.
We can easily measure the gear and the music recordings.
But, that doesn't mean that the music we love best would rank among the top; it could be that the music we hate the most would win the ranking, highest score.

So, how do we truly rank music soundtracks...in mono, stereo or multichannel?

It depends; do we listen to a stereo album of it or do we watch the movie @ the same time on VHS, Laser Disk, DVD, HD DVD, Blu-ray 2D, Blu-ray 3D or 4K UHD Blu-ray? ...Or stream it?
Do we use two speakers or sixteen? Do we use a sub or none or eight subs? ...Between.

Or, do we rank music scores and album music recordings (mono, stereo or Quad) by simply being transported emotionally into the music?
That, is the question. Is there more musical emotions on a fine-tuned system that costs $1,000 or one that costs $1million? For movies I'd vote for IMAX. For emotions I cannot say because I had great musical emotional impact in some theaters @ certain times in my life when all the stars were properly aligned in the universe, and @ other times right @ home...various homes over my lifetime.

I rank music scores from movie soundtracks by heart and spirit.
And some of them can end up having the same rank as another one from a different level in time and space.

A movie (film itself) that we can all pretty much rank them on a very personal level, and nobody else's influence. For visuals and audio we need s scientific measurements with graphs and lots of data...analog and digital.

How would I rank for example the music score of the film Blade Runner 2049 - Music by: Benjamin Wallfisch & Hans Zimmer
?

Easy: 90 (out of 100) ...give it few points more or less.

Last edited:

North_Sky

Major Contributor
First we all need to be on the same wavelength;, analog or digital.
Then the source; LP, Tape, CD, Blu-ray or hires audio streaming.

Forget it, we love the music scores because we love the music in films.
We don't care how it measures...it measures in our hearts and emotions.
And we don't sweat the small stuff...be it @ home from a laptop, home theater system or IMAX 3D movie theater. It's the music, and if everyone was on that same music wavelength there wouldn't be more wars and pandemics in the world.

rgpit

Forum Donor
Fantasia (1940)
1595043988348.png

North_Sky

Major Contributor

* Bonus: Only because I love the violin ... like a short film/music soundtrack in itself.

DChenery

Forum Donor
David Lynch's version of a road movie Wild at Heart, winner of the Palme D'Or in 1990. Whether you like this movie or not will depend on "just how you like your explicit sex, and Laura Dern, gratuitous violence and Laura Dern, and eardrum-busting rock music and Laura Dern."

North_Sky

Major Contributor
I like David Lynch. I mentioned two films (Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive) with their music sounddtracks previously, scores composed by Angelo Badalamenti

Here's another one ... with various music composers including Lynch himself (his own music compositions) ...

From the film 'Inland Empire' ... different, very. All the tunes above in that film.

Last edited:
Top Bottom