• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Movies with great music in them?

Castortroy3

Moonstruck

This movie turned me on to Puccini's La Bohème as well as Dean Martin's That's Amore.

Since then I have purchased multiple versions of La Bohème including:
Puccini - La Bohème - Orchestra dell'Accademia Nazionale di Santa Cecilia (used in Moonstruck) and,
Puccini - La Bohème - Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra (with Pavarotti and Freni).

I've also purchased a couple of Dean Martin's greatest hits CD's.

MV5BMjIwMDY0NzYyMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTE5NDk0NA@@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,666,1000_AL_.jpg

This makes me think of how step brothers turned me on to Opera. Leave it to Will Farrell to to get me listening to Bocelli and it isn't long until to you find Puccini and realize that every song he has is the most beautiful thing you don't understand one word of.

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
I saw Ken Russell's "The Music Lovers" as a teenager - I went to see Glenda Jackson naked, and came away loving Tchaikovsky, which turned me on to classical music in general.

Ken Russell was grossly under appreciated for years, I have not looked for a long time but for a long time some of his films were only available on laser disk. The X rated version of "The Devils" is a must see.

I have not seen anyone mention the scores of Popul Vuh for some of Werner Herzog's films. With Kubrick you always knew who was in control, but with Herzog and Kinski you had to guess.

Chuckv

Forum Donor
Last Black Man in San Francisco was the sleeper film music of 2019 bar none. The soundtrack writing, arranging, and scoring was by a relatively unknown Emile Mosseri and has skyrocketed to the one of the top 10 most beautiful film soundtracks of all time in my book. The film was very well shot, I would venture to say spectacularly shot at times. The soundtrack is as legendary as you will find in the genre. Here's the kicker. Recorded the whole thing with literally less than 15 musicians. I think it was around 10 artist doing every sonic note and vocal. Riveting and emotionally as powerful as I have experienced in the last 35 years of listing to film music. Good film. Incredible soundtrack.

lennard

Footloose, Flashdance, Dazed and Confused (liked the soundtrack more than the movie). "I'm Alright" from Caddyshack.

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Incredibly underated score. Death Theme gets me every time. You know your Enniology man.

I'm glad you noticed how powerful that music score is for that flick directed by Brian De Palma, screenplay by David Mamet, and of course music composed by Ennio Morricone.
All in all a winning team, and the actors on top. The music drives the story, it's a living character.

RIP Ennio, the Music Maestro.

'The Untouchables'

Last edited:

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Ah. A seldom visited Ennio for me. Thank you for the recommendation.

That film (La leggenda del pianista sull'oceano, 'The Legend of the Pianist on the Ocean') along with Cinema Paradiso and Malèna are very high in my cinema book, motion picture soundtrack included. ...Giuseppe Tornatore/Ennio Morricone team contribution of the highest art cinema caliber.

'The Legend of 1900'

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
Can't believe I forgot my favorite soundtrack of all time, still need to see this film, lol.
One of my favourite films. Well worth checking out if you like slow, weird movies where nothing much happens. However, the Floyd score is used very sparingly. You have to really pay attention to even know it's there.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Last Black Man in San Francisco was the sleeper film music of 2019 bar none. The soundtrack writing, arranging, and scoring was by a relatively unknown Emile Mosseri and has skyrocketed to the one of the top 10 most beautiful film soundtracks of all time in my book. The film was very well shot, I would venture to say spectacularly shot at times. The soundtrack is as legendary as you will find in the genre. Here's the kicker. Recorded the whole thing with literally less than 15 musicians. I think it was around 10 artist doing every sonic note and vocal. Riveting and emotionally as powerful as I have experienced in the last 35 years of listing to film music. Good film. Incredible soundtrack.

All through your mini review I was asking myself, "Yes, but is the film any good?"- You answered that in the penultimate sentence. I shall try and locate. I'd ask for a synopsis, but I have a feeling the clue is in the title. Though probably not in the literal sense of that Will Smith post apocalyptic bore-fest of a few years ago- I am Legend(?)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I havent read all 5 pages so I assume someone has already mentioned Scorsese's obvious ones. Though he does seem to have got stuck in a bit of a rut.

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My all-time favorite soundtrack is from the movie The Firm. I'm a Dave Grusin fan, and a sucker for solo piano works. The movie is okay, I can't say I'm a big Tom Cruise fan, but I have to admit I've watched the movie a few more times than it deserves just to hear Grusin play.

My second favorite soundtrack is from the 2010 remake of True Grit. The soundtrack composed and played by Carter Burwell is not only especially engaging, but has distinctive "American" melodies, in a way that's hard to describe. Much like Aaron Copeland's music. Also, the remake is better than the original in every way as a movie, IMO. Hailee Steinfeld's performance was especially remarkable.

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
I was much taken by the late Scott Walker's score for Childhood of A Leader. Very Bernard Herrmann. Sadly the film doesn't quite live up to the excellence of the score, but interesting nontheless.

Slightly more leftfield, I've always loved pretty much anything by Gavin Bryars. Not least his work with Steven Dwoskin in Dyn-Amo and Central Bazaar:

North_Sky

Major Contributor
I havent read all 5 pages so I assume someone has already mentioned Scorsese's obvious ones. Though he does seem to have got stuck in a bit of a rut.

Martin Scorsese: 'Shutter Island'

On the Nature of Daylight: Song by Max Richter
That song was also used in Denis Villeneuve's film Arrival , and other films as well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom