• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Movies with great music in them?

Pegwill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Of course one of the greatest themes of all time. The Theme from Shaft by Issac Hayes

Regards

William

Andysu

Major Contributor
Oh today is Star Trek day may the Vulcan be with you.

This has some bass kick slam and depth to the score on JBL THX professional - yeah may the JBL be with Star Trek

HoweSound

I'm glad to see Jim Jarmusch get mentioned. My favourite director. Music is integral to his movies.
Also Dr. Zhivago, I think it was the first movie sound track I ever bought.
Can't believe O Brother Where Art Thou has not been mentioned. Sound track was the work of the talented T Bone Burnett.
Another good sound track, full of gumbo is The Big Easy.

beeface

David Lynch's The Straight Story, music by Angelo Badalamenti

telecode101

For anyone interested in 80s MTV era films that have good music. I can recommend Walter Hill's "Streets of Fire". Its a classic case where the soundtrack is better than the movie.

Things to keep in mind about the movie. It's basically a very strange combination of film noir meets serial comic book. The film didn't do well. It was up against Start Trek 3 and Indiana Jones Temple of Doom when it was released in June 1 , 1984 and it got pummeled in theatres as it was targeted at a young MTV era audience who had no idea what film noir was.

What makes the film unique is it has a soundtrack that was compiled specially for it by record execs to climb the billboard charts. They worked with very large artists trying to repeat the success of Saturday Night Fever but it bombed. Artists also refused to cooperate. Bruce Springsteen didn't give permission to use his song on which the film idea was based upon. Marlyn Martin replaced Stevie Nicks on the strongest track on the album. And they dropped all the Ry Cooder tracks as they were hoping to just cash in on a young audience buying the soundtrack in droves.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streets_of_Fire#Track_listing

Last edited:

concorde1

Pink Floyd: The Wall -- the studio album is my favourite music album, and the film's renditions weren't disappointing at all

Once Upon A Time In America -- saw this recently; the film had me captivated for all four hours, and the music is delicate and moving

The Godfather -- I only recall the main theme but that's enough to qualify it

Descartes

Major Contributor
- Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo
- Brazil
- Gladiator
- Pulp Fiction
- Shaft
- The Lord of the rings
- Pirates of the Caribbean
- My name is nobody
- Blade runner
- The last of the Mohican
- Inception
- The Dark Knight
- The good father
- Once upon a time in America
- Cera una volta in West
- Kill Bill

Adi777

Last edited:

VMAT4

Forum Donor

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head by Burt Bacharach.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
At the end of Boi Neon, during the credits.

They couldn’t have chosen a better track to end this movie.

Top Bottom