• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Movies with great music in them?

HiFidFan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Apologies if it's already been mention but ,The Departed (2006), offers a well mixed soundtrack IMO.

Katji

Major Contributor
Is this hires? Sounds like it to my ear.

No. hah :) Only the Soundcloud 128kbps mp3, unfortunately - no other option but to save the stream. - streaming file - I have a Firefox add-on to do it. (No need to play it, the add-on program requests the stream, buffers it, and then brings up a Save dialog. I've just been tagging the Gallio one in Mp3tag, after screenshotting and editing the MUBI page for it. Because her story about it is there, and the long track list. :) And the cover art image there is much bigger than the 500x500 image on Soundcloud. I add them all in the tags, tag the Soundcloud 500x500 as Front Cover and all the rest as Other.
The Soundcloud 128 is really not bad, I've been doing it years, when it's something I really want and they haven't enabled the download option. (When they do, you get whatever they uploaded to Soundcloud and more often than not it's mp3 320. Yesterday I got a WAV 2 Gb.)
So I gradually found out that it depends on the mix/production more than anything else. If they don't get that right, a 320 can sound inferior to a 128.

The browser add-on adds this orange [Prepare] button - you click it, it shows progress %, then brings up the Save dialog:

1614303276092.png

EZ Meno

No. hah :) Only the Soundcloud 128kbps mp3, unfortunately - no other option but to save the stream. - streaming file - I have a Firefox add-on to do it. (No need to play it, the add-on program requests the stream, buffers it, and then brings up a Save dialog. I've just been tagging the Gallio one in Mp3tag, after screenshotting and editing the MUBI page for it. Because her story about it is there, and the long track list. :) And the cover art image there is much bigger than the 500x500 image on Soundcloud. I add them all in the tags, tag the Soundcloud 500x500 as Front Cover and all the rest as Other.
The Soundcloud 128 is really not bad, I've been doing it years, when it's something I really want and they haven't enabled the download option. (When they do, you get whatever they uploaded to Soundcloud and more often than not it's mp3 320. Yesterday I got a WAV 2 Gb.)
So I gradually found out that it depends on the mix/production more than anything else. If they don't get that right, a 320 can sound inferior to a 128.

The browser add-on adds this orange [Prepare] button - you click it, it shows progress %, then brings up the Save dialog:

View attachment 114906

Haha, good to know my hearing is very limited. Saves me a lot of money, no need to buy hires recordings ;D.
I've been wondering about my hearing, since many youtube clips sound pretty high quality to me and they're only 256(?)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Looked thru some of the suggestions but not all. Loved Baby Driver and how they intertwined the soundtrack with the action, that was awesome.

Always enjoyed the soundtrack and how it fits with the movie in Grosse Pointe Blank
Pretty much any Tarantino flick
Can't imagine Ferris Bueller or Animal House or Dazed and Confused or The Graduate or Rocky Horror Picture Show without their soundtracks
Talking Heads' Stop Making Sense film by Jonathan Demme
August Rush
Fantasia (both orig and 2000)
Finding Forrester
Good Morning Vietnam
I am Sam
Pleasantville

One of the first movies I saw where the music was a large part of the viewing experience was Clockwork Orange. The music was Classical based using orchestral as well as synthesizer (Walter/Wendy Carlos.)

676EBCD9-C65D-4C5E-8757-1ACF99E52EAC.jpeg

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
One of the first movies I saw where the music was a large part of the viewing experience was Clockwork Orange. The music was Classical based using orchestral as well as synthesizer (Walter/Wendy Carlos.)

View attachment 115004

This movie is packed with hidden (and not so hidden) musical references as well.

Fahzz

Forum Donor
Ascenseur Pour L'Echafaud - Miles Davis

Haven't seen the film (yet), but the soundtrack sure is great.

symphara

What are some of your favorite movies that has music as an integral part of the movie? So integral that is almost, or is a MacGuffin.
I guess it doesn't have to get to MacGuffin level for it to be a great addition to the movie and well integrated.

A movie that immediately comes to mind for me, my inspiration for this thread, is Baby Driver. It's not only a great film, the music is a critical plot point to the main character as well expertly timed with the on scene action.

So, what other movies do you like that have great music well integrated into them?
I feel with the combination of music and movie/home theater lovers here you all have some good ones we can all enjoy watching.
Just off the top of my head:

Ad Astra got me hooked on Nils Frahm (one of his best tracks, Says, is on it)
Waltz with Bashir, apart from being superb, has an awesome Max Richter soundtrack
Inception has a pretty good soundtrack by Hans Zimmer, if a bit bombastic
Arrival has some really good Max Richter stuff, like On The Nature of Daylight
La Grande Bellezza (translated as The Great Beauty, available on Amazon) has a very interesting, sometimes hypnotic soundtrack
Born to be Blue has among others a really lovely interpretation of My Funny Valentine, I believe sung by Ethan Hawke

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
Haven't seen the film (yet), but the soundtrack sure is great.
Then you're in for a treat. One of my favourite films ever, although to be honest, I've never thought the soundtrack was particularly enthralling. But it fits the movie well.

eddantes

Moulin Rouge - good/terrible - I won't argue that...

...but, I love how it plays with music/songs we already know to weave it into the dialogue/story. It made me apreciate the music I know and love so much more... Add to the vibrant visuals and it was a thoroughly entertaining evening.

Top Bottom