• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Movies purchased on itunes don't really belong to you. Apple will remove them.

wgscott

They really seem hell-bent upon putting a weed up the arse of their customers.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I can honestly say I have never purchased anything on iTunes and never will. I got rid of the program many years ago and my old iPhone hasn't seen an iTunes connection for at least 5 years or more.

These attitudes will simply push people back to physical media and tangible ownership- look at the young people wanting vinyl and even film/instamatic cameras.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I also don't use cloud services much. I have over 40Tb of storage here so if I -do- buy a movie I download it. This sort of confirms my suspicion about cloud services in general rather than iTunes in particulat. I do use iTunes as a player though I think I only bought one bit of music there (and downloaded it), when the short run CD was no longer available.
One of the reasons I have kept away from buying music files in general is that as I understand it you are buying the right to use it for yourself and you are not legally entitled either to give it to somebody or leave it in your will. This has nothing to do with Apple or anybody else and is probably dependant on which country you live.
It is also illegal to sell or give away a CD you have ripped and keep the ripped file since the copyright sale is of one copy.
Now I know people are selective of which laws they choose to obey and which to ignore but still...

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I don't use cloud at all either- not for anything. I'm old skool- have a few NAS units and a Sysology 5 bay 20Tb RAID NAS, although it's unused at the moment as I really couldn't justify leaving it running 24/7 and wasting power. I have two 1.5TB NASs on my network for movies and all my technical files, pictures and everything.

No music on any of my machines- it's all physical media for me.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't use cloud at all either- not for anything. I'm old skool- have a few NAS units and a Sysology 5 bay 20Tb RAID NAS, although it's unused at the moment as I really couldn't justify leaving it running 24/7 and wasting power. I have two 1.5TB NASs on my network for movies and all my technical files, pictures and everything.

No music on any of my machines- it's all physical media for me.
If I hadn't travelled so much for work I may well have no music files, but I travelled a lot!
In 1980 or so I bought a Walkman and started carrying it and an increasing number of cassettes when travelling. It was brilliant to not have to give up music when away. When portable CD players came out I changed to a CD Walkman and carried CDs in a huge pilot's case with all my work documents.
When the first iPod was mooted I was delighted and pre-ordered it. I stared ripping my favourite CDs to iTunes, and since the file structure was useless for classical I just made playlists with sensible titles so I could find stuff. A 95% reduction in weight and bulk, brilliant - the biggest step forward for the travelling music lover of all time.
iTunes has had many updates which are functional downgrades for my use, but I am not prepared to waste hours of my life dicking with computer music now I am retired and don't travel since the portables get little use, just my fortnightly bus trip to the local hospital to donate platelets!
After dicking about with good quality headphones I decided none were worth their weight to carry in SQ so bought wireless ear buds which are small light and good enough for the bus. I have better wired ear buds but go for convenience when travelling since I can't hear the better SQ on the bus - tried it!

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm another one who appreciates the benefits of digital media when travelling, both music and books. I started my work career in the merchant navy and it is easy to forget now just how much more challenging it was to enjoy music and reading if you spent extended periods away from home. Now I travel a lot on business and carry hundreds of books and the equivalent of over 1000 CD's in my pocket. And it isn't just the music, I have a smartphone with an excellent, transparent, DAC and a very good headphone stage which when combined with a good pair of headphones allows me to enjoy genuinely excellent sound when I am away from home. That means an awful lot to me. I am of a generation that still has an attachment to physical media (and I still love real books) but I would dread the prospect of having to lose my FLAC files and e-books.

DuxServit

Forum Donor
https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnar...counts-and-dont-expect-a-refund/#18877b995f74

So far only in Canada, but users who have purchased movies on iTunes are finding them no longer available. Purchased, not rented movies. And some 4K content is being downgraded to HD after purchases of 4K.

The safer approach is to buy Blu-Ray with the digital download option (product key) — which is today largely supported by iTunes. So you get both the physical disc and a copy of your movie is available on your storage on iTunes.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

The issue should be brought to Apple and other Cloud providers. If we do feel something wrong and inappropriate we must bring the fight to a superior instance. While they (Apple and other) may be able to crush one of or two dissenting voices, they can't squash the ire of millions of customers. Greed and arrogance must be fought.

Cloud services are an advance. Physical media as I see it was necessary. Technology has made it obsolete.
I am ambivalent about Apple : On one side they have a GUI I find sensible and elegant. Their ways of doing things in term of user experience gels a lot with what I need at this point. I , now an iPhone and am very pleased to the point of about to acquire a Xrs or whatever new iPhone that has two SIMs and a front camera :) .. I have never bought anything from iTune though nor am I about to.. i go mostly Amazon if I am to buy a movie or physical ... since my internet is, now, able to do Tidal lossless but not 4 K. I don't like iTunes , never found it great and is IMP frankly annoying. On the other side I find them arrogant and greedy. That issue of slowing hardware so that you can buy a new one is evil ..my iPad is however slowing and I may have to buy a new one :rolleyes:. IOW I don't like Apple the company shenanigans but find their products very good.

I haven't bought many CDs since I "discovered" Tidal and Spotify. I enjoy music a lot with no hassle .... much more music than I have time to listen ... as for movies I have Netflix and Amazon Prime but due to licensing issues I don't get some (many?) movies I like or would like to watch. I go physical then.

If the Cloud services wrong us they must pay.. Avoiding cloud altogether is missing out a lot of things.. IMO, IME, YMMV, my $.02 and all that :)

bakker_be

This has always been a possibility, and just one of the reasons I don't like Apple. That said, this is a risk with any online platform "selling" digital goods: if you don't find a way to back it up yourself, you might well find one day that it's no longer there!

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can honestly say I have never purchased anything on iTunes and never will. I got rid of the program many years ago and my old iPhone hasn't seen an iTunes connection for at least 5 years or more.

These attitudes will simply push people back to physical media and tangible ownership- look at the young people wanting vinyl and even film/instamatic cameras.

I think Apple's attitude is more likely to push users toward file lockers and BitTorrent.

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
I think Apple's attitude is more likely to push users toward file lockers and BitTorrent.

Agree.

If I could meet a guy on the corner who is willing to sell me all recordings, films 1910-2025, high-quality, curated, 2nd hand, on a thumb drive for $1000, why bother with iTunes or cloud?

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
Apple is targeting Canadians. I have no clue what's their bug with Canadians.
When you shop iTunes and spend loads of money on movies you help Apple to prosper; it's good for the economy, it's good for the culture, it's good for you, for spending your money, for movies, for your movie library.

When Apple takes away everything you pay them for, it's good for Apple.
We need to encourage them in doing more for Canadians, more like they're doing now.
Buy more Apple shares, it helps them to help more Canadians. Give more love to Apple, because after all they love you more and more. Why would they do that if it wasn't because of the love they have for Canadians?

NorthSky

Major Contributor
https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnar...counts-and-dont-expect-a-refund/#18877b995f74

So far only in Canada, but users who have purchased movies on iTunes are finding them no longer available. Purchased, not rented movies. And some 4K content is being downgraded to HD after purchases of 4K.

Do you think it's going to spill into Alaska? ...Into all over North America, into USA?
....Japan, China, India, Russia, Africa, France, UK, Ireland, Scotland, Italy, Mexico, Spain, ...?

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Apple is like a movie studio; when you buy a new 4K Blu-ray movie for $35 it's yours only for your own personal use. For Canadians it's different, Canadians are different, are they? Apple seems to think so, and few more apples.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
If you truly want to know more, if you really want to dig, if you want to know what is still not clear, if you want to have a guess, ... all that pizza soup jazz ...
Do you have the time?
https://www.extremetech.com/interne...customers-purchased-on-itunes-denying-refunds
https://www.cnet.com/news/no-apple-didnt-delete-that-guys-movies-heres-what-really-happened/

If you do take the time we'll talk Apple's new direction, interpretation, business, new course of action. We'll talk Apple's trillion dollars company. ...Next, Amazon.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I guess for people who like listening on the move, all these cloud and file storage based things are great.

For me, I listen to music only when I am only listening to music. It gets my full attention or none.

No background music, music while driving, or earbuds while I exercise- I see too many distracted clowns running along completely oblivious to their acoustic surroundings. I even see people driving with earbuds in! As for travel, I like looking out the window or taking in my surroundings.

Once when flying back from London, I had the entire trip to Hong Kong completely cloud free and I watched half the world go by out my window while other people slept, played games on their silly phones or watched a mindless movie.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Millions of kids watch movies on their cell phones, nothing new here.
iTunes movies, people pay up to $20+ for some titles...to own them in their Internet library.
We all know that there's no guarantee, all the movies can be taken out anytime, even if you pay to own them.
That's the Internet, the risks people take to store their movies from Apple.

This is bizarre because we all knew that one day it would come to that, the new wave now is physical discs, nobody can steal them, not Apple.

The questions are, why now and why a few targeted ones? Apple doesn't say, they just did it.
It's up to us to guess, or get the heck out of this movie iTunes business with Apple. But it doesn't concern us, it's only happening to few others.
I just don't care for me, I care for the kids of Apple's CEOs. If their Dads delete their movies, how do you think their kids feel.
See, nobody cares when we are not directly affected, that's pretty much the way this whole world works.
The ones who care are the kids who had their movies deleted and their 4K videos downgraded to 2K.
Me I just happen to care for the kids because they are our future presidents and congressmen/women and superior court officials and lawyers and generals and admirals and teachers and postmasters and musicians and filmmakers and judges and scientists and audio reviewers.

Apple is missing a bite, a boat, a deal, an exchange, a way of life in the year 2018.
Music and movies matter, kids care. Adults and parents care for their kids and the kids of their neighbors, that's how educated societies evolve and flourish.

Short point of view from me on this iTunes/Apple affair of recently.
Try to use Face Time on your Windows 10 Android and communicate with your kids on their iPads.
Try to make everyone working towards a common goal beneficial to all parties.

Buying movies from iTunes is good for the kids, good for Apple.

To be continued ...

Top Bottom