• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Movie Soundtracks We Enjoy

North_Sky

Major Contributor

Herbert

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I´ll start with something rather strange:
Edgar Rothermich: "Blade Runner"

https://www.discogs.com/de/Edgar-Ro...From-The-Motion-Picture-Score/release/6960353

Why strange? Because what is heard in the movie was never released, even the more faithful release of Vangelis himself
in the late nineties was not what he improvised on his synths watching the rough cuts. And besides some bootlegs, the great sound of
thundering drums and lonely synth was never heard on CD or LP. So Rothermich faithfully reproduced the music in 2014.
This is a little bit haunting. I was an a little bit isolated teen who did not like Wave but Soundtracks and Jazz.
I symply got bored at the parties. And I really had to get way into the last third of my life to find many Soundtracks
from this time being released as a whole.
Complete recordings of favourites like
Star Trek - The Movie
Alien
Close Encounters
The Black Hole
Koyanisqatsi

were released the last decade. For the latter, Philip Glass simply took the sound of the film print,
you can hear flutter under the organ, typical for the magnetic track on film prints... So I guess the
masters from the recording sessions are lost.

Still waiting for "complete Sneakers", James Horner´s finest, though he heavily borrows from Arvo Pärt´s "Fratres":

Another favourite, not a composed soundtrack but a concert recording still waits to be released on digital media:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0128454/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

I think this cat was not mentioned yet, he educated me into jazz when I was a child:
Vince Guaraldi - I deliberately skip "Linus and Lucy!"

As an adult another interesting experience was "The Thirtenth Floor" by Harald Kloser. I was hired by the production
company to edit the press kits with interviews and behind the scenes footage. As this ran parallel to shooting
and postproduction I got the musical layout as well as the final recording - now I know why being a composer can be frustrating...

Another favourite of mine, Simon Fisher Turner I bought this soundtrack instantly in 1986 when i heard this piece and saw the film years later
(Same with Philip Glass`"Mishima" btw)

Fisher Turner in 2014

YogiN

Forum Donor
If you're a fan of classical Arabic music, I recommend "The Silences of the Palace" with original music from Anouar Brahem.

Sonia Laraissi covering Um-Kalthoom's Amal Hayati (Hope of my life)

Herbert

Movie Soundtracks from a different perspective: I have finished my documentary debut as a director early July, chances are very high that this
film will get a distribution and will also be accepted at international film festivals. I am doing english subtitles this very moment.
I would like to present the music I took. The composer / performer is a close friend so the soundtrack is definately set...

TimF

Forum Donor
Interesting to see reference to Gummo which I recommend but it is not for everyone, and Ghost Dog. The movie Agnes of God has a well done soundtrack.

Zedly

Forum Donor
"Wings Over Everest" is a mediocre movie, but Kenji Kawai's score is wonderful.

Chris A

I recently acquired this soundtrack (hybrid 5.1 multichannel SACD) from this 2001 movie, composed by James Horner (RIP). In terms of overall sound fidelity, this one is very good, much better than the average movie soundtrack. The following YouTube video in lossy two-channel format doesn't do it justice, unfortunately:

A few statistics on this one (multichannel layer)--the DR Database foobar2000 plugin rating is as follows (unfortunately this forum's software removes the table formatting spaces and tabs by default):

foobar2000 1.5.1 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
log date: 2020-08-16 06:51:02

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Analyzed: James Horner, Charlotte Church / A Beautiful Mind (1)
James Horner / A Beautiful Mind (2-16)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
DR12 -8.73 dB -34.05 dB 3:17 15-All Love Can Be
DR13 -6.50 dB -29.70 dB 4:59 01-A Kaleidescope Of Mathematics
DR11 -15.61 dB -35.22 dB 3:34 02-Playing A Game Of "GO"
DR12 -5.36 dB -37.13 dB 3:02 03-Looking For The Next Great Idea
DR11 -7.88 dB -30.09 dB 2:33 04-Creating "Governing Dynamics"
DR11 -9.58 dB -30.42 dB 3:22 05-Cracking The Russian Codes
DR11 -16.28 dB -36.48 dB 4:39 06-Nash Descends Into Parcher's World
DR13 -10.65 dB -32.89 dB 5:15 07-First Drop-Off, First Kiss
DR10 -8.85 dB -29.31 dB 2:24 08-The Car Chase
DR13 -7.16 dB -32.66 dB 8:29 09-Alicia Discovers Nash's Dark World
DR14 -5.46 dB -32.03 dB 5:47 10-Real Or Imagined?
DR14 -11.94 dB -37.94 dB 6:21 11-Of One Heart, Of One Mind
DR13 -13.38 dB -35.73 dB 6:43 12-Saying Goodbye To Those You So Love
DR12 -13.02 dB -36.42 dB 3:16 13-Teaching Mathematics Again
DR12 -12.83 dB -36.16 dB 3:02 14-The Prize Of One's Life... The Prize Of One's Mind
DR12 -9.48 dB -31.30 dB 4:36 16-Closing Credits

Number of tracks: 16
Official DR value: DR12

Samplerate: 2822400 Hz
Channels: 6
Bits per sample: 24
Bitrate: 16934 kbps
Codec: DSD64
================================================================================

The point of course in displaying the above statistics of this disc's multichannel music tracks is to reveal that it conforms to the MPAA standards for soundtrack recording levels instead of RIAA "practices" (i.e., Loudness War).

I once read someone complain on this forum that he "had to turn the preamp gain up" and "didn't like that". All this says to me is that this individual has acclimatized to the Loudness War practices, and doesn't really care about dynamic range--which in my experience is the starting point for high fidelity sound reproduction--even if the dynamic range of the music itself isn't necessarily used by the instrumentation.

Chris

Herbert

Georges Delerues' Grand Choral. When I saw la Nuit Americaine as a Teenager
I thought they used someting from Haendel but no,
the Grand Choral was composed for this movie, it starts at 35 seconds:

And opening titles that use real film Music,

Nemo

Forum Donor
I know it is not a movie soundtrack, but I just watched it recently and felt overwhelmed by the talent at play: music, musicians, singers, dancers, lighting... the full package! One of my favorite numbers:

Top Bottom