• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Movie Soundtracks We Enjoy

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The double album Music by Ry Cooder is excellent, it is a compilation and is never less than enjoyable however it's not the sort of big epic block buster soundtrack style.

Swtoby

A lot of scores by Jerry Goldsmith are personal favorites: Hoosiers, Patton, Alien, Poltergeist, Star Trek, Rambo, Planet of the Apes, etc. Others would be 1492 by Vangelis and Empire Strikes Back by John Williams.

t129

In the style of Carpenter horror soundtracks (which were in the vogue for a while), Cliff Martinez's Neon Demon was something so fascinatingly creepy that I still get chills immediately from the first wobbly tones. I will probably never see the movie (not a fan of the genre and the premise is not exactly exciting), but holy crap that soundtrack is one of my top ten cd's. Even when it is slightly repetitious and much too long.

It seems that soundtracks (especially electronic stuff) might have more of their dynamic content intact and that just makes them that much more involving.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
In the style of Carpenter horror soundtracks (which were in the vogue for a while), Cliff Martinez's Neon Demon was something so fascinatingly creepy that I still get chills immediately from the first wobbly tones. I will probably never see the movie (not a fan of the genre and the premise is not exactly exciting), but holy crap that soundtrack is one of my top ten cd's.
I am a fan of Cliff Martinez and have these two albums in my library:

1534616818677.png

And:

1534616891579.png

CTRLM

This is my fave:

TTRLINE.jpg

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I like movies about obscure and interesting influences in popular and rock music. "Searching for Sugarman" is the remarkable story of Detroit's Sixto Rodriguez, technically classified as a folk-rocker who recorded a couple of albums in the early 1970s that were unsuccessful in the U.S.
Some of his songs served as anti-Apartheid anthems in South Africa, where his work influenced musicians protesting against the government. Reportedly, anti-apartheid activist Steve Biko was a Rodriguez fan.

This video with the film's intro and other clips gives a better perspective of the film than the trailer. It's not about the "quality" of the music, but rather about the role of music in societies. Plus, Rodriguez is a remarkable human being of immense modestly. (The film won both an Oscar and the BAFTA award for best documentary in 2013)

esm

Forum Donor
The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring - The Complete Recordings

The Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers - The Complete Recordings

I've been listening to these two all day. A few months ago, I had the chance to see all three movies played behind a live orchestra with guest vocalists, and it was just... breathtakingly good. I left with the utmost respect for the performers, who managed to play two cycles of it over the course of a weekend.

FYI, The Return Of The King ships in September, in case anyone else wants to pre-order it. ;)

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I see that the long video clip of Koyaansqatsi at the beginning of this thread is no longer available, but I too enjoyed the film, and the music by Philip Glass - especially the ending. The final song is titled "Prophecies" and features pipe organ and basso profundo male voice repeating the word "Koyaanasqatsi." (Pieces of music like this make me want to get a subwoofer.) I find the Prophecies segment to be more timeless than other parts of the movie, which focuses on early 1980's American culture. But I do agree with others that this is one of the most "depressingly beautiful" films ever made.

There are two rockets in the segment - the launch is a Saturn V lifting off with Apollo 11, and the explosion is a different rocket - the first launch of the Atlas-Centaur in 1962. The film contains a remarkable piece of videography that follows the tumbling, fiery descent of the burning remnant of the center "sustainer engine" of the Atlas-Centaur. (The sustainer engine was located between the two "booster" engines which were designed to be jettisoned along with their fairings while the rocket then used the center "sustainer" engine to finish it's lift to stage separation altitude.)

Regardless, when I listen to this piece every year or so - with or without the video - it is deeply moving for me. It resonates as a symbol of the underlying fragile nature of modern high technology, and how something can suddenly go wrong with disastrous consequences. There is no going back to nature for the billions of humans on this planet if technology fails catastrophically due to something like a meteor strike or Carrington Event - or if anthropogenic global warming and climate change drastically reduces the carrying capacity of the earth for its human residents. And there is no "Planet B."

Now that I've brightened everyone's day, here's the clip...

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I see that the long video clip of Koyaansqatsi at the beginning of this thread is no longer available, but I too enjoyed the film, and the music by Philip Glass - especially the ending

Too bad it's gone...

Here's a nice interview:

Top Bottom