• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Movie directors with a sonic signature

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
Get off your pedestal.

Alright, when it comes to sonic signature, here’s a movie director who spits on anyone’s pedestal, from a great height: Mel Brooks!

:cool::D;)

Herbert

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You seem to be confused. At ASR, people making science claims about subwoofers, cables, vinyl or such, can and will be asked to provide backing and evidence.

I don’t need to “substantiate” my film tastes. Not to you, not to anyone. Don’t waste your efforts on someone who is not interested in them.

As to what may interest me “as a Spaniard”… what a condescending and foolish statement.

Get off your pedestal.
Unfortunately, I fear that your behaviour on a small scale is very likely to be the same as your behaviour on a large scale -
that of ignorance, sorry to say. That is why I am wasting my efforts on you.
The linked article shows that John Ford was contradictory, but certainly not mendacious, as you want to sell as my view in this thread.
That he made "conservative" westerns but praised his nephew for fighting Franco.
That he had spoken out against blacklisting "leftist" work colleagues.
About the "pedestal":
My knowledge is not exclusive - anyone who seriously calls himself a film fan can get it (even online)

Whether it is Hamaguchi's stretched arthouse cinema or John Ford's westerns,
films work by very simple rules that can be stretched but never broken.
They push buttons. You should be clear about that when you talk about "taste".

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
films work by very simple rules that can be stretched but never broken.
If you allow me a guess, those rules are:
- pay your bills
- don’t go broke

OP
jsilvela

jsilvela

Unfortunately, I fear that your behaviour on a small scale is very likely to be the same as your behaviour on a large scale -
that of ignorance, sorry to say.
Really now, Herbert, you should not get so upset that you go all ad hominem.
And you should not begrudge me my dimwitted enjoyment of movies.
Having established what you think of me, kindly stop mentioning me.

OP
jsilvela

jsilvela

Sorry to anyone reading. Done with debate. It is Friday and I feel like some Austin Powers

Herbert

If you allow me a guess, those rules are:
- pay your bills
- don’t go broke
I experienced both, getting broke because a producer did not pay my bills. Very common in the "biz".
Search for "Three Act Structure". No Film or documentary I comes into my mind that broke the rule.
A very good example is "Memento". Though the story is told backwards it follows the three act paradigm.
Really now, Herbert, you should not get so upset that you go all ad hominem.
And you should not begrudge me my dimwitted enjoyment of movies.
Having established what you think of me, kindly stop mentioning me.
You were not innocent in that. Peace, eagle?

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
Search for "Three Act Structure". No Film or documentary I comes into my mind that broke the rule.
I’m no expert here, but to me some films seem to be knitted with a different set of needles. And some of those happen to be among my favourites. Do LvT films conform to the structure you mention, for example? What about Gaspar Noé?

OldenEars

Will have to check Sound of Metal...

2001 was so bold in its soundtrack. I mean, Blue Danube for the space station, genius.
The scenes with HAL; sound or its lack, fundamental.

As much as I acknowledge what a brilliant film it is, I've never warmed to it.
I think Tarkovsky made Solaris out of unhappiness with 2001!
I read somewhere blue Danube and the docking scene was accidental. A trainee film editor was playing in the background and Kubrick liked it :)

Herbert

I’m no expert here, but to me some films seem to be knitted with a different set of needles. And some of those happen to be among my favourites. Do LvT films conform to the structure you mention, for example? What about Gaspar Noé?
I would say both. I only watched Lux Æterna.
Lars von Triers films I know better, from his early beginnings when he was very stylized up to "free form".
The only one who comes into my mind who broke the rule was the late Godard with his essays.
I think the introduction of the following book is free to read,
it became a bible for scriptwriting since the early eighties
and was reworked two times .
Though Syd Field worked and teached in commercial Hollywood, he also analyzed "Arthouse".

But he also contradicts himself. He cites "Chinatown" as the perfect screenplay but writes the anecdote
that he was not impressed when he first saw the movie.

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
Perhaps films are meant to be watched, rather than analysed?

Herbert

I read somewhere blue Danube and the docking scene was accidental. A trainee film editor was playing in the background and Kubrick liked it :)
Legend goes the special effects team used it while screening FX-Footage to Kubrick and he took it as a temp track for editing.
Still Alex North was hired to write a score. Another legend: Herbert von Karajan got outraged because Decca only permitted
to use "Also Sparch Zarathustra" and "The Blue Danube" if Karajan was not mentioned in the end credits,
in order not to "cheapen" his work by some SciFi Movie...
Decca tried to rectify its blunder by re-releasing the recording with an "As Heard in 2001" flag printed on the album cover:

Herbert

Perhaps films are meant to be watched, rather than analysed?
What is more fun: To watch the clock boringly ticking or to disassemble it?
Enjoy a good musician with or without knowing the instrument he/she plays?
Also I can assure you, Press Screenings are not at all different from ordinary screenings:
They all laugh and cry at the same moments.
In fact, if we meet an entity from outer space, we should simply invite it to a cinema.
We would learn instantly if it ticks like us - even if communication was possible at all.
Though Mr. Spock will not understand the emotions of "E.T.",
he will quickly understand the inner workings of the script to achieve emotion.

Last edited:

OldenEars

The Wachowskis and Nolan ... will definitely let you know you're watching their movie.

For the action mayhem, I still think the shootout in Heat is where it's at.
Almost no music during the whole scene, and gunshot has never sounded so terrifying.

Don't like the movie heat much but the shoot out is cool

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor

OldenEars

Controversial suggestion but early woody Allen has a sonic signature.

Also tarantino if no one else already mentioned him.

Top Bottom