• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Movie directors with a sonic signature

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just happened to see a comment on this thread as am watching a reunion of sorts for John Hughes' Weird Science....John Hughes had the sonic signature going, too.

OP
jsilvela

jsilvela

Just happened to see a comment on this thread as am watching a reunion of sorts for John Hughes' Weird Science....John Hughes had the sonic signature going, too.
Was just IMDB'ing his movies.
You could make the case that Hughes movies are part of what defines the 80's sound.
Planes, Trains and Automobiles is his I think; classic.

OldenEars

Was just IMDB'ing his movies.
You could make the case that Hughes movies are part of what defines the 80's sound.
Planes, Trains and Automobiles is his I think; classic.
im watching beverly hill cop as i type this. it has a very distinctive 'sound'. I didn't say good, i said distinctive :)

OP
jsilvela

jsilvela

Jim Henson appreciation moment.
Movies and shows that were aimed at kids but got tenebrous and downright scary, more sophisticated than many pretentious "classics".
I don't know how many of us have been traumatized by Dark Crystal.

In happier scenes, the song of Convincing John in Fraggle Rock.

OP
jsilvela

jsilvela

Watched the documentary Making Waves: The Art of Cinematic Sound. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3856408/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2
Not bad, includes interviews with Murch, Ben Burtt, George Lucas and other usual suspects.

One of the heroes of sound in movies turns out to be none other than ... Barbara Streisand, who insisted that A Star Is Born be recorded in stereo, and persuaded Wyler to record her singing scenes with live sound for Funny Girl.

A director mentioned in the documentary that I had not considered in this thread, but belongs in it: Robert Redford.
His movies can be counted on for careful, deliberate dialog and tasteful soundtrack.

And when A River Runs Through It can rest on the writing of Norman Maclean, then you get magic.

Andysu

Major Contributor
Watched the documentary Making Waves: The Art of Cinematic Sound. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3856408/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2
Not bad, includes interviews with Murch, Ben Burtt, George Lucas and other usual suspects.

One of the heroes of sound in movies turns out to be none other than ... Barbara Streisand, who insisted that A Star Is Born be recorded in stereo, and persuaded Wyler to record her singing scenes with live sound for Funny Girl.

A director mentioned in the documentary that I had not considered in this thread, but belongs in it: Robert Redford.
His movies can be counted on for careful, deliberate dialog and tasteful soundtrack.

And when A River Runs Through It can rest on the writing of Norman Maclean, then you get magic.

laserdisc , a star is born 1976 , first optical 4.2.4 Dolby Stereo with surround , lucasfilm ltd THX sound system
has plenty musical stereo bass on it

368961968_10160794232155149_9019912495390454492_n.jpg
368882618_10160794232625149_6137843023236638935_n.jpg

Andysu

Major Contributor
vintage 60's ' you've lost that loving feeling ' music that fades to the f-14's panning off into the orange haze to beat of ' mighty wings ' a fitting end for popcorn movie that seems to work when played in Dolby Stereo with THX sound system

stereo.jpg

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
vintage 60's ' you've lost that loving feeling ' music that fades to the f-14's panning off into the orange haze to beat of ' mighty wings ' a fitting end for popcorn movie that seems to work when played in Dolby Stereo with THX sound system

View attachment 306771
It really has that energetic 80s drums and synth sound.

Andysu

Major Contributor
some of musical instruments it growls on he JBL THX sound system , bass slam bass feel its emotionally logic for THX sound system , what rave james horner knows how to drop the bass slam to the chest !

birdprey.jpg

stereo1.jpg
THX TAP.jpg
logo_sub_swipe.gif
JBLlogo.jpg

OP
jsilvela

jsilvela

Ang Lee is another director that rewards your ears. Already in early films like Eat Drink, Man, Woman.
The Ice Storm has a hypnotic sound, reminds me a bit of Atom Egoyan movies.

This clip from The Ice Storm is very AS(M)R:

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Ang Lee is another director that rewards your ears. Already in early films like Eat Drink, Man, Woman.
The Ice Storm has a hypnotic sound, reminds me a bit of Atom Egoyan movies.

This clip from The Ice Storm is very AS(M)R:

I really enjoyed that film, Ang Lee is special, I hadn’t thought of his films recently.

Top Bottom